How long will it take for a stupid student to become a pharmacist if I place into low math clases?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

murt1998

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always had a problem with math and now it's in the way of my future career. Everyone knows that you have to take and finish calculus in college as a pre req but what if I take a placement test and test into algebra 1? Just by how many years will this delay me?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you place into college algebra, then you must complete that as well as precal in order to take calculus. I wouldn't know how long that would take you because you could take it over a minimester or a summer session, but it could delay you up to one year. Honestly, if you are that weak in math, I would really consider whether you really want to be a pharmacist. There is a decent amount of math in pharmacy school from what I've heard. Obviously not laplace transformations or anything, but still math is somewhat essential in pharmacokinetics. You might consider another profession, especially with all of the recent saturation going on the profession. You don't want to graduate a mediocre student with no job and tons of debt. Just some things to think about before you commit yourself for 4 years.

I'm glad that you recognize your problem but I'm very concerned that you already consider yourself 'stupid.' The rigors of pharmacy school require you to be a highly functioning self-learner. You will be better served if you spend more time on math and look at it as an opportunity to improve you overall. If you don't and 'just get by' you may find yourself in pharmacy school but with the same 'stupid' mindset. Though unspoken teachers, preceptors, and classmates will pick up on it. Nobody wants to teach or precept a 'stupid' mindset holding student. They want students who know their strengths and weakness, and do things about it on their own to improve. Your problem is more self-image than academic. I mean what happens if you have to retake a course and get left back? Then you're going to have your self-imposed 'stupid' label and the label of 'left back' imposed by your classmates and faculty. Think about how you think about yourself.

Last edited:
I know this is a bit late but it's the first time I've been on these forums and stumbled upon your thread.
I will tell you from personal experience that you can do it. I don't know what year you are in or anything, but I'm assuming you're a freshman in college being you were placed into pre-req algebra. I WAS PLACED IN IT TOO and I am IN PHARMACY SCHOOL. Math is NOT my forte and it's not to MANY other students in my class. Do not let something as silly as this make you stray away from pharmacy. You just need to buckle down and learn! And plus, you're taught what you need to know in pharmacy school and believe me, you'll learn it.
So do your pre-req algebra and kill it! You need to focus on one math class at at time!

Stay focused on what you want.

Reactions: 1 user