How long will it take to pay off my debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to have to borrow everything for medical school so I'll be about $250,000 in debt. I want to enter into family practice so I figure my salary will be around 120K a year.

Assume I live in an apartment for a couple of years post-residency, have a wife, and have a kid a couple of years post-residency.

I figure I can pay larger loan payments the first couple of years post-residency since I'll live in an apartment without a kid yet.

How long do you think it would take for me to pay this debt off after residency?

Members don't see this ad.

A long time.

There are debt forgiveness programs for those who practice in underserved communities for some amount of time.

I suggest you look into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Slickness
Yes I've read this post awhile ago and even posted in it. Thanks.

So does anyone think I can do it in 5 years if really tried?

I think that you could theoretically do it if you lived like you did as a resident for 5 yrs (living expenses ~20K per year) and you didn't get married or start a family. Or you could always marry somebody wealthy.

Originally posted by Olanzapine
I think that you could theoretically do it if you lived like you did as a resident for 5 yrs (living expenses ~20K per year) and you didn't get married or start a family. Or you could always marry somebody wealthy.
I see. I would certainly live on 20K per year if it means I can pay off my debt faster.

Your right though. I can do it the easy way and marry a rich girl.:D