How long will it take your to complete your lpc education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterOf.Science.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm looking into a cacrep accredited program that is a masters in counseling with an emphasis in mental health. I went to meet with the program coordinator, who told me that most students complete the program within 5 years and take 6 credits at a time.

I feel like this is too long for a masters program. It's not that I want to rush through everything to get finished as quickly as possible, but I am still entertaining the idea of a PhD and 5 years on a masters is pretty close to the amount of time a PhD takes(okay, maybe 6-7).

I'm not planning on working during school, but I assume most of my classmates are doing just that, which is why they only take 6 credits at a time. The max the school allows me to take is 12, which I thought was pretty standard. Would I be seriously overdoing it with 12 credits?

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh. I noticed I said "your" instead of "you" in the heading, but can't figure out how to change it. :/

I can't speak specifically to a counseling program, but for an MSW 12-15 credits is pretty standard for a full time student. 6 would be more well suited for someone working full time/family responsibilities and what not. I wouldn't want to spend 5 years just to complete a master's either.

Some programs are geared towards working adults which is why 6 credits is the "average" for their students who work full time or have child care needs. Find out when your program's classes are offered. Are there classes in the AM or day? All at night? (4 pm on)? If no classes are offered during the day then most students work. Also keep in mind many classes have prerequisites or are only offered certain semesters. So, you can't take class B before class A, and class B is only offered in the spring. That may affect how many classes you do actually enroll in. Ask your program for a schedule of course offerings, and pay attention to the prerequisites. Maybe 9 credits can happen, but not 12. It will depend on your program.

Reactions: 1 user