How low of a GPA is too low for top programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicianScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a 3.75 cGPA and 3.70 sGPA be a deal breaker for top tier MSTPs and MD/PhD programs such as UPenn, Harvard-MIT, Stanford, UCLA, Northwestern, etc? Assume the applicant also has a 36 MCAT and good research with multiple publications. I am just wondering how low of a GPA would effectively stop an otherwise good application for top tier MD/PhD programs.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends where you did undergrad. Ivy League or similar: your GPA is excellent. State school: people generally have near 4.0. Also, if you studied engineering or hard science, GPA can be lower than if you were in a softer major. URM can also forgive a lower GPA quite dramatically.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends where you did undergrad. Ivy League or similar: your GPA is excellent. State school: people generally have near 4.0. Also, if you studied engineering or hard science, GPA can be lower than if you were in a softer major. URM can also forgive a lower GPA quite dramatically.

Is this true? I always hear about Harvard's notorious problem with grade inflation, and I don't think they are alone among the Ivies. OTOH, a lot of state schools have really rigorous grading, e.g. entire science departments curving to a B-/C+ average.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this true? I always hear about Harvard's notorious problem with grade inflation, and I don't think they are alone among the Ivies. OTOH, a lot of state schools have really rigorous grading, e.g. entire science departments curving to a B-/C+ average.

Maybe at Harvard, but Penn/Cornell/Columbia have very harsh curves.

Reactions: 1 user