How Many Aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDSlacker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the general recommendation for how many aways to do. I'm currently scheduled to do 2.5 aways. I'm doing 2 one month away rotations and then a 2 week rotation during the gap I have between the two aways. I have no home derm program so no home rotation. Debating if I should add one more away. This away would be in November so it is relatively late so would this even be beneficial?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the general recommendation for how many aways to do. I'm currently scheduled to do 2.5 aways. I'm doing 2 one month away rotations and then a 2 week rotation during the gap I have between the two aways. I have no home derm program so no home rotation. Debating if I should add one more away. This away would be in November so it is relatively late so would this even be beneficial?

That should be enough. I used to recommend one home rotation and just one away (and none if your application is strong enough without having to do an away rotation). It seems like most students are doing two aways now. I don't think any medical student can do 3 aways and be equally impressive on all 3. Fatigue inevitably sets in.

Reactions: 1 users
That should be enough. I used to recommend one home rotation and just one away (and none if your application is strong enough without having to do an away rotation). It seems like most students are doing two aways now. I don't think any medical student can do 3 aways and be equally impressive on all 3. Fatigue inevitably sets in.
There are some programs also look down on doing too many Derm electives during MS-4. Quite hypocritical on their part, IMHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not certain about a November rotation, but I personally did 2 away rotations (no home derm program) and fared well. I think what you have scheduled should be enough IMHO.

Do what you think you need to do to maximize your chances. I agree that derm can be hypocritical.

Here are some observations about our derm decision makers:
1) most of the faculty making the admissions decisions probably would not have matched today if they are older
2) many were anxious about the match if they did match recently and somehow forgot what it was like
3) many forget that so much luck and uncertainty is involved.

I would say if you think you need 2.5 rotations, then do it. Make sure you discuss your ideas with several people and consider both sides of the coin. However, you should just do what you think you need to do.

I recommend doing away rotations unless you really aren't good socially (these are rare situations). Rotations build more experience and connections (if you work hard and engage well). They do take a lot of energy but worth it in your case, especially in the absence of a home program.

The November rotation may either be a total flop or something really good but the interview decision may be made before you go on the rotation. A flop if you don't get an interview. Great if you do if you can do a good job (flop if you don't do a good job). That's really late to have a Nov rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
ideally, when should away rotations be done?

If you can get April/May for your first one then that's really good...but that's tough with the VSAS system now...oh the good ole days before VSAS....

BTW, if you do a good job, people will remember you even if you rotate early. You have more time to finish up project and publish and so it ends up being more impressive.

April/May/June is nice because everyone is chill and you won't have fragile 1st year residents having their egos hurt if you know too much as a med student. On that note, be especially nice to the 1st year residents and don't show them up when you rotate in July/August (intentionally or unintentionally because that can really hurt you in the end....fair or not, it's how it works).

April/May/June is nice because everyone is chill and you won't have fragile 1st year residents having their egos hurt if you know too much as a med student. On that note, be especially nice to the 1st year residents and don't show them up when you rotate in July/August (intentionally or unintentionally because that can really hurt you in the end....fair or not, it's how it works).
^^^This. I think sometimes rotators don't realize that while they're only job is to look helpful and answer questions that can be found in Derm Secrets, the PGY-2 Derm resident that just started has to see the patient, do the A&P, write the note, dictate, etc. So only answer questions when asked, don't try to show off as a know-it all, etc.

Reactions: 1 user