How many credit hours are you taking...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATB Pre Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking 17hrs. What's average, and how many are you taking?

Members don't see this ad.

I would tell you but then you would one-up me.

I might do 14. Though, I may go up to 16 for the sole reason that 14 is not that impressive to med schools looking at the transcript. Do you think I should go up to 16?

And the average for me has been 15 or 16 each semester. And i think it is the same for most kids at my school...As we need 123 credits to graduate. So divide that by 8 (for the 8 semesters that it usually takes someone to graduate) and you end up with 15-16 credits each semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
0 hrs. And getting paid 80k while doing it.

I might do 14. Though, I may go up to 16 for the sole reason that 14 is not that impressive to med schools looking at the transcript. Do you think I should go up to 16?

And the average for me has been 15 or 16 each semester. And i think it is the same for most kids at my school...As we need 123 credits to graduate. So divide that by 8 (for the 8 semesters that it usually takes someone to graduate) and you end up with 15-16 credits each semester.
It's completely up to you. It depends on what you can handle. I didn't have as many last semester, but from this semester on, I will stay in this range. Not too stressful, but at the same time, not too easy.

16 is the new max at my school unless you want to pay extra :| What a load of crap.

Gonna go with 17 this semester. I think it will probably be my most difficult semester with class, work, MCAT prep, tutoring...yadyayaya

Yeah, I can still squeeze by with my double major, but it's cutting it real close and restricting how I do it. Have to volunteer research rather than for credit :p

14...after seeing you guys' hours, I am a little concerned..should I do more???....

first sem - 15
second- 18
third- 16 + 2 hours research

20 units. The most I've ever taken.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is ridiculous. It doesn't matter how many credits you take a semester as long as a) you can handle the workload, and b) you complete enough of them to earn your degree.

If you torch your GPA trying to overwhelm yourself with a heavy semester, what have you really accomplished?

This thread is ridiculous. It doesn't matter how many credits you take a semester as long as a) you can handle the workload, and b) you complete enough of them to earn your degree.

If you torch your GPA trying to overwhelm yourself with a heavy semester, what have you really accomplished?

:thumbup: Took the words right out of my mouth.

I've done 2 21 credit semesters, but to be fair the last 3-4 hours were research

But usually I am up around 17 credits

Some programs are structured differently so you won't get an ideal answer asking that question. I did everything from 12 to 22 credit hours per semester in undergrad.

19 hours this semester - I've done more and less. My average is probably 15...

I have typically taken 20-21 credits per quarter so far (not working), which has been no more difficult than working a full time job.

Next quarter I am attempting a 26 credit load (five classes, three with labs) and I have my doubts. I can drop one of those classes, which I will do instantly if I can't manage the load. It will be an interesting challenge - perhaps a taste of what med school is like.

I have typically taken 20-21 credits per quarter so far (not working), which has been no more difficult than working a full time job.

Next quarter I am attempting a 26 credit load (five classes, three with labs) and I have my doubts. I can drop one of those classes, which I will do instantly if I can't manage the load. It will be an interesting challenge - perhaps a taste of what med school is like.
how does 5 classes w/ 3 labs add to 26? that adds to 18 for me...

how does 5 classes w/ 3 labs add to 26? that adds to 18 for me...

Well, depends on the school, I guess.

Orgo II + lab - 6 credits
Eng. Phys II+lab - 5 credits
Biology III+lab - 5 credits
Calc II - 5 credits
Intro to Stats - 5 credits

Total - 26

Well don't comment. No one needs your negativity.

Well don't comment. No one needs your negativity.

No one needs a thread full of nervous, Type-A premeds who are worried that they aren't taking enough credits a semester when it really doesn't matter, either. If you think me shedding light on the fact that more credits does not equal better student is being negative, maybe it would do you well to explain just why this thread exists to begin with.

Anything over 12 and under 30 is the perfect amount, lol.

I'm taking 26, 12 for an EMT course at a local community college, and 2 are for research, so even though 26 sounds ridiculous it's really not that bad and completely doable if you know how to manage time.

Well, depends on the school, I guess.

Orgo II + lab - 6 credits
Eng. Phys II+lab - 5 credits
Biology III+lab - 5 credits
Calc II - 5 credits
Intro to Stats - 5 credits

Total - 26

I wish we got so many credits for those classes! At my school, those classes would total to 19 credits/hours:

Orgo II + lab - 4 credits
Eng. Phys II+lab - 4 credits
Biology III+lab - 4 credits
Calc II - 4 credits
Intro to Stats - 3 credits

17 too much for a first time freshie?

I've taken 12 credits for the past 3 semesters and 8 the semester before because i have a bunch of AP credits. I wonder if that will work against me.

Is it necessary to take filler classes to bump yourself up to 15-19 credits so you can look like a motivated student?

I've taken 12 credits for the past 3 semesters and 8 the semester before because i have a bunch of AP credits. I wonder if that will work against me.
I've done about the same. 15, 14, 14, 13, 13, 13 for my six semesters so far. Looks like it's gonna be 12 and 13 for my last two semesters.
I had credits going in, so why add extra classes I don't need and might not even like just to bump up my hours? I actually had to push some stuff back to not graduate early.
I'm just doing what I need to graduate in 4 years, and I think that's all schools should look at.
12 hrs/semester of 3.85 vs 17 hrs/semester of 3.4 - I wonder who has edge... :laugh:

17 too much for a first time freshie?

17 can be perfect or a little much for a freshman depending on the classes and the extra curricular schedule. I took 17 and worked my first semester and only ended up with a 3.5 GPA for that semester because it was too much for me. I only had 2 pre-req classes too. It's up to you.

I took 17 first semester, 13 second semester, 16 in the summer of my first year, and 4 from high school AP Calc. 50 total for first year and I still plan on graduating in 4 years.

Forgot to add, I have to take an average of 15 a semester, evaluated by each year, so I can do 14/16 or 13/17 one year, but it resets the next, to keep my scholarship. That's about 4-6 classes depending on labs etc.

16 is the new max at my school unless you want to pay extra :| What a load of crap.

Indeed. My school has no max. One kid graduated in 1 year because he came with 60 credits (max that school allowed) and took 30 credits each semester.

The minimum graduation requirement is 120 at my school.

What a life, right? I had so much fun in college i didn't want to leave even after 4 years.

Indeed. My school has no max. One kid graduated in 1 year because he came with 60 credits (max that school allowed) and took 30 credits each semester.
The minimum graduation requirement is 120 at my school.

What a life, right? I had so much fun in college i didn't want to leave even after 4 years.

That's crazy. I want to meet him.

took 16 credits in the Spring...

12 credits in the Summer...
(My advisor was strongly against taking that many during Summer, but I still got all A's)

taking 15 now...

I am taking 15... however, it may be 17.

I'm taking 14, i work 30 hours a week so i couldn't take more.

the lowest i've taken is 13, and the highest is 18 (max at my school without overriding). i can't imagine taking more than 18 AND working part time.

this semester i'll be takin 18 (2 cred of research) plus working 2 part-time jobs. one of my classes is graduate level. i hope i can handle it

Typically 18 plus a fulltime job & research for me. This semester, I'm doing 19 & the most I've done was 21.

I'll be a freshman in the Fall so my schedule is relatively easy...only 13 credits. I'll probably take 16 or so in the Spring.

i've got 17 this fall, which is about my average.