How many D.O. Schools should I apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShakaChaka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am korean american. My Cgpa is 3.72 and my sgpa is 3.75. My mcat is 29(10b,10v,9p) I will have 100+volunteer clinical hours. I will have 35+ hours of shadowing a d.o. plus a letter from that doctor? I have 3 co-author ship. Insane upward trend in gpa climb. Personal statement is pretty good as I was once addicted to drugs and raised by a single parent mom who has polio and survived cancer.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your pretty much good at any DO school GPA and MCAT wise. In regards to extra curricular, you co authorships are good, but you need more clinical hours. I would reattach the schools, see which areas, curriculum, etc. You like the most and apply to about 10-15

Wow, our stats are nearly identical. Same exact MCAT breakdown too.

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are similar but more clinical involvement, I'm applying to 11 DO schools, well 12 if you count TCOM.

If you're applying MD too then I think 5-6 DO schools would be sufficient. If you aren't applying MD or if money isn't an issue then I'd do 10-15. You'll likely be swimming in DO interviews though

If you're applying MD too then I think 5-6 DO schools would be sufficient. If you aren't applying MD or if money isn't an issue then I'd do 10-15. You'll likely be swimming in DO interviews though

I have very similar academic and MCAT stats to the OP.

Are you saying we may have a shot at some MD schools?

I have very similar academic and MCAT stats to the OP.

Are you saying we may have a shot at some MD schools?
You definitely have a shot if you aim for the right places. I had a much less balanced 29 and a lower cgpa and ended up with 3 MD interviews so don't limit yourself

You definitely have a shot if you aim for the right places. I had a much less balanced 29 and a lower cgpa and ended up with 3 MD interviews so don't limit yourself

Grats! Well, I guess I should use the MSAR and pick the lowest stat MD schools ? :)

Grats! Well, I guess I should use the MSAR and pick the lowest stat MD schools ? :)

You stand the best chance of getting in to in-state schools, so check there first. For out of state schools make sure to not only look at schools that seem forgiving in so far as stats, but also places where you want to be. If you do get an interview, you'll need real reasons for why you want to attend that specific school.

Wow, thanks for all your advice everyone!

Last question, how much more clinical hours should I get? would 150 altogether from shadowing and clinical volunteering be ok?

Wow, thanks for all your advice everyone!

Last question, how much more clinical hours should I get? would 150 altogether from shadowing and clinical volunteering be ok?

That's fine, but I hope you have non-clinical hours as well.

Don't drop your volunteering until you are accepted.