How many days a week do adcoms usually meet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EthylMethylMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm expecting an admissions decision within the week; I've gone full psychotic and basically need anything to quell my suspense. I know this would probably vary from school to school, but is it usually a Monday-through-Friday kinda gig during interview season?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm expecting an admissions decision within the week; I've gone full psychotic and basically need anything to quell my suspense. I know this would probably vary from school to school, but is it usually a Monday-through-Friday kinda gig during interview season?

Highly variable. Can be as many as 4 or as few as 0.

I got an acceptance on Sunday at 4 AM once so who knows whether adcoms are even people, could all be cyborgs nowadays..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So basically if I noticed that a bunch of people got acceptances from a school this week, and I didn't get any word from them I'm boned until two to four weeks from now?
best way to check is to see their history in the past few months and last year. The SDN school specific threads are really good resources for that if you are willing to spend the time to look through them.

Reactions: 1 user
best way to check is to see their history in the past few months and last year. The SDN school specific threads are really good resources for that if you are willing to spend the time to look through them.
Great advice! Every school is different but we're pretty busy people with research, administration, teaching & patient care. It is tough to get us in a room to make decisions. Even then, the adminsitrative "stuff" that needs to happen to translate the decision into a message that reaches the applicant takes some time, too, so it could be that the back office stuff is going to take a few days for the pool of newly admitted applicants.
And, I'll admit to you, sometimes an interviewer is pokey in submitting a commentary and an applicant's decision can end up delayed 6 weeks. That makes me mad!

Reactions: 1 users
This is one of those questions that simply varies too much from school to school.

I agree with the advice to comb through previous years threads for a school if you're desperate for information. On the other hand if you can stop yourself, maybe that's better...I definitely inferred things from those threads that in retrospect I could have spared myself the effort and been happier not knowing ahead of time. Namely successful prediction of waitlists and rejections.