How many FL's to take 1 week prior to MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtepper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heyo,

I'm takin the MCAT May 10th and trying to figure out a good FL schedule... I have taken around 6 or 7 FL's already and still noticing that I keep missing questions because of lack of question or passage comprehension... anyways, I was curious how many FL's I should take when I have the 8 full days prior to my MCAT completely free. I originally was thinking to about 1 every other day (a total of 5 FL, all AAMC), but now I'm thinking I should take one every day except the day before the MCAT. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

None, you should plan so you are able to relax a week before your test, or at most, just read over a couple weak topics. I took about two and a half weeks off and I felt completely energized on test day.

seriously?!? is this the norm? cuz I have about 2 and a half weeks left and I'm totally not prepared to take that time off..

seriously?!? is this the norm? cuz I have about 2 and a half weeks left and I'm totally not prepared to take that time off..

take one every day, and make sure you review your mistakes too. if you're not ready, and the test is close at hand, a one-week study break isn't going to do anything for you. I'd hit it hard for the next couple weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 2 the week before. There's not really a right way to do it, but I would make sure you've done all the AAMC's before you take the exam (provided that doesn't involve you killing yourself).

In that case your confidence is more important than rest at this point, take as many as you need to gain the confidence level you will need, but definitly take at least one day off. I had 7 months of studying under my belt so I could afford a 2 week break.

Reactions: 1 user
I had my mcat on a friday. I took a practice on the Saturday before and the Tuesday before. The sunday I spent reviewing over the saturday mcat and then took 3 practice verbal passages. Monday I did a practice bio section and skimmed over what I missed. Tuesday I took the other test. Wednesday I did some practice verbal and skimmed over writing techniques. Thursday I studied for other classes and worked on a paper since I have finals this week. Friday I took it and then drove over straight to my next class. It sucked.

The sections were all low key and it was more to maintain a sense of timing than anything else.

I contrast to mterp, I took 4 exams within the last two weeks leading up to my real exam at intervals of three day spacings. It helped me to get into an 'MCAT writing' routine which decreased my stress level on test day. On the final day before the real exam I didn't do anything except some light reading of my notes. I didn't do a single problem.

My advice would be to not do any in the few days immediately preceeding the exam. I especially think you shouldn't do one the day right before the exam -- in fact, I advocate doing absolutely nothing study related that day. I also wouldn't recommend doing one every day just because that's another way to burnout, but we're all different.

So, hmm, maybe do 2 to 3 with the last one at least 3 days before the actual exam.

Heyo,

I'm takin the MCAT May 10th and trying to figure out a good FL schedule... I have taken around 6 or 7 FL's already and still noticing that I keep missing questions because of lack of question or passage comprehension... anyways, I was curious how many FL's I should take when I have the 8 full days prior to my MCAT completely free. I originally was thinking to about 1 every other day (a total of 5 FL, all AAMC), but now I'm thinking I should take one every day except the day before the MCAT. What do you guys think?

What is FL?

Don't do any a couple days before because you could score below your expected range and it WILL shoot down your confidence. I would take a secondary FL and the last AAMC a week and a half before the exam, them do AAMC review the whole whole preceding the MCAT.