How many hours a day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldentistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Between attending lecture (if it's mandatory at your school), studying didactics outside of lecture, and doing lab work, how many hours per day would you say you spend on dental school? When you all study didactics outside of class do you write down what is on the slides and on the podcasts? I feel like I am spending too much time on dental school and looking for ways to work more efficiently. Thanks! Also any advice for anatomy lab or lecture?

I'm a first year and classes are mandatory. So in class from 8-5, 4 days a week and a half day for the other day. I also spend a lot of time studying outside of class and on the weekends.

I've been more efficient with studying by using ANKI flash cards. During lecture I will make the cards and then go home and review them. It's helped a lot instead of mindlessly reading powerpoints and talking to the wall.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a D1 as well; attendance is not mandatory, but on the off chance that one needs to remediate, they won't let you unless you've been going to class. We're in class 8-5, 5 days a week, with an hour off from 12-1 for lunch.

I study for 2 hours in the morning before classes, and then about 5 hours after class. I make sure that I have about 2 hours a day for myself to watch tv, work out, etc. My favorite way to study is to look at the ppts and pick out what I don't know, and make study sheets. Right now it's not as bad, b/c we're doing mostly physio so I have a bit of a background on the information we're being taught. The biggest thing is making sure that you are not procrastinating-- time is super precious in D school! The motivating thought process for me is, since I'm literally taking loans out of my a **, I should be trying to do the best I can possibly do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now it's not as bad, b/c we're doing mostly physio so I have a bit of a background on the information we're being taught. The biggest thing is making sure that you are not procrastinating-- time is super precious in D school! The motivating thought process for me is, since I'm literally taking loans out of my a **, I should be trying to do the best I can possibly do.

Literally??

Reactions: 7 users
I'm a D1. I'm at school from 8-5, 5 days a week. Except when there's a gross exam coming up, then I'll spend some time in the lab after hours (it's open 24/7). We get an hour for lunch. I don't study as much as I probably should. I'm by no means a gunner, but I don't like Cs. I take A's where I can get them, and I'm fine with B's in other classes. I probably study an hour a day, maybe a total of 6 hours over the weekend. I usually play online chess and browse reddit during class, and it hasn't caught up with me yet. I have taken all of the didactic classes before, the only "new" material I am learning is in anatomy and dental morphology. And speaking of morphology, I never really practiced waxing, most of the practicals I took were the first time waxing up that tooth. Turned out fine for me.

I never lose sleep to studying, and I only stress the day before an big exam. Other than that, everything is pretty easy.
I guess my philosophy is this: if you want to specialize, by all means do whatever is necessary to get those A's and participate in extracurriculars. I know that I want to do general dentistry, so I know that learning the material is more important than memorizing the facts necessary to ace the tests.

If my future patients are reading this, I'm not a slacker! I just like having a life!

D2 here. i don't go to class unless i have to.

with that being said i prob spend 3 hours a day in lab on weekdays and about 10 on the weekends. studying always comes afterwards

D1 here:
8-5 in class Mondays to Thursdays, 8-12 Fridays
About 4 hours of extra studying on weekdays, 8 hours on weekends
About 2 hours of sim lab or wet lab overtime 5 days a week

With a heavy heart, I had to reduce my workout time to 90 minutes per day during weekends only.

We have class from 7AM to 2PM on Monday/Thursday
7AM to 3PM on Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday
7AM to 9AM on Saturday (Sometimes we need to stay till noon, but that isn't often)
There aren't any dedicated breaks to go get lunch, we just get the 10min before the next professor comes in
Since we get off pretty early I would say that we relax a few hours during the day. But for the most part, whatever we are doing has something to do with school, even if it's just walking the store to buy some materials for lab.
Weekends really seem to help the students recharge before another long week.

We have class from 7AM to 2PM on Monday/Thursday
7AM to 3PM on Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday
7AM to 9AM on Saturday (Sometimes we need to stay till noon, but that isn't often)
There aren't any dedicated breaks to go get lunch, we just get the 10min before the next professor comes in
Since we get off pretty early I would say that we relax a few hours during the day. But for the most part, whatever we are doing has something to do with school, even if it's just walking the store to buy some materials for lab.
Weekends really seem to help the students recharge before another long week.

What school is this?

You guys are seriously in class 8-5 most days? Wow I feel sorry for you. My school is usually 4-6 hours of class a day, so it is not bad at all. Some days we are in class for 8 hours and those days are the worst because you never want to study afterward. I guess with Gross Anatomy lab (which we have for 4 hours twice a week) we are in class for 8 hours a day, but dissecting is a nice break from studying so I welcome it with open arms.

We usually have 2 or so tests a week but honestly school has been super easy so far (classes are easier than undergrad there is just way more of them shoved down your throat so you have to get efficient at studying......stay away from reddit). Also we take our boards during the summer of our first year so they shove classes down our throats left and right during D1.

What classes are you all in that you have class for so long everyday?

You guys are seriously in class 8-5 most days? Wow I feel sorry for you. My school is usually 4-6 hours of class a day, so it is not bad at all. Some days we are in class for 8 hours and those days are the worst because you never want to study afterward. I guess with Gross Anatomy lab (which we have for 4 hours twice a week) we are in class for 8 hours a day, but dissecting is a nice break from studying so I welcome it with open arms.

We usually have 2 or so tests a week but honestly school has been super easy so far (classes are easier than undergrad there is just way more of them shoved down your throat so you have to get efficient at studying......stay away from reddit). Also we take our boards during the summer of our first year so they shove classes down our throats left and right during D1.

Are you doing anything dental/hand skilled related?

What school?

UOP?