How many hours a week should I volunteer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Owenstm03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my junior year and I have 0 volunteering hours so far but I have 2 good opportunities this semester how many hours a week should I do? 8?

Members don't see this ad.

What can you fit into your schedule that won't overwork you? I assume you're taking some difficult classes, perhaps studying for the MCAT, maybe a job on the side for some cashflow, and don't forget free time to unwind.
Most schools I've looked at don't have a minimum requirement of clinical hours. The important thing is that you at least have enough hours to prove to them that you've been exposed to the world of healthcare enough to know that this is something that you are comfortable doing for the rest of your life. If you think you can do that with 100 hours, fine. If you think you need 1000 hours, so be it, but generally, more is better.

If you are referring to clinical volunteering experience, I'd say three to four hours per week is fine for the average person, but if you plan to apply next June then you'll only have nine total months to list. To compensate, I think it's reasonable to add the second activity for the same number of hours. If you are applying in 2011, then one experience will be fine if continued until then. The total months that you are involved in an activy is more important than the total number of hours. Adcomms won't be as as impressed with 100 hours accumulated over a few months. They'd rather see 100 hours accumulated over a year's time. LizzyM (adcomm member who posts on SDN) has previously mentioned that she likes to see at least a year of clinical involvement on an application.

Don't forget to eventually get in some physician shadowing. It need not be over a prolonged period and can even be accumulated in large chunks of time over breaks if it's easier for you to manage that way.