How many hours are you spending studying for Step/Level I per week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krazykritter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was just curious to see how much time everyone has been putting in dedicated to Step/Level I studying at this point. I really don't want this to turn into a pissing contest, but I am wondering where I stand relative to others. Please also post your test date so that we can see how far out we are.

June 14/28 for COMLEX & Step I, respectively for me so I have about 4.5 months yet.

I would say that between Goljan, Qbank/book, & review materials I am at about 8 hrs/week right now.

I don't know if this is really low, but we are in Renal right now & I am absolutely hating every minute so I haven't been able to do much more Step I study.

Anyone else??

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on taking the exam in the middle of June. I probably spend between 30 and 40 hours a week studying for USMLE and then another 50-60 on my class material. It breaks down to about 15 hours on qbank. 5 on first aid. and then 10-20 on goljan and other review books. Earlier I was spending more, but becasue we are in neuro (our syllabus is over 600 pages for this three week block) I had to cut it down by about 10 hours a week.

I have been through first aid three times since starting in Janurary. Through Goljan RR#2 twice. When I took NMBE 1 during the christmas break, I scored about a 220, but after studying and taking one this afternoon, I scored a 240. So things are looking good.

I am trying to get through MMS this weekend. It is a pretty easy read. I think during spring break I will do the entire USMLERx q bank just to make sure I really have First Aid down. I might do USMLE World as well. It is easy to do 400-500 questions a day when you don't have class. Without class, I can up my studying to about 80-90 hours a week.

I am so nervous for this exam. I don't know if this is enough effort, but I hope I pass the exam.

Notice: Absolutely NOTHING in the above post is actually true. Sorry to steal the thread, but I couldn't resist.

Actually, our syllabus is over 600 pages, and I haven't even made it through once! My actual step one studying is zero unless you count listening to papi as I drive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was getting ready to settle for a 186 after hearing that.

I am at basically zero hours per week outside of my regular studying. The way our curriculum is organized we cover all of pharm, phys, and path between November and May, so 80% of Step I should be rather fresh in my mind. Hopefully i'm correct in my assumption.

i basically try to read FA and BRS phys/path along w/ my modules (we're on a systems based approach). That's all I've done....I only listen to Goljan for the modules we've done as well....so basically I haven't done much. AFter my spring break (end of March), I'll hit it hard....I hope.

I was getting ready to settle for a 186 after hearing that.

I am at basically zero hours per week outside of my regular studying. The way our curriculum is organized we cover all of pharm, phys, and path between November and May, so 80% of Step I should be rather fresh in my mind. Hopefully i'm correct in my assumption.

We, unfortunately, hit path & phys first year which means that I have had to spend a ridiculous amount of time reviewing. Pharm was our first class 2nd year so I have a lot to review w/ that too.

At this point, I am wishing that we had the more high yield board subjects at the end of this year. :thumbdown: to too much systems.

Here's my daily log.

i'm taking the test june 19th. This is the past month, I started around winter break (dec.22nd). My review now is more or less to get organized and review my topics from last year first, then as it gets closer, I'm gonna hopefully review everything again after being organized.

View attachment 7765