How many hours are you studying for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misterwiggles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to get a good estimate. I started my TPR class in mid-June and am taking the mid-September exam. I don't want to get burnt out but I feel like I am not doing enough. I spend 3 hours in my class 4 days a week. Each of those days I have class I spend 2 hours before doing readings and writing separate notes. Then After class I do my passages and amplifier questions which take a total of like 2.5 hours. The days I don't have classes I spend like 3 hours doing notes again. That totals to about like 40ish hours a week.

How often are you all studying? Should I be doing more? Should I continue on my pace. Appreciate the input.

Members don't see this ad.

I study all day but probably only in about 1 and a half hour productive increments. Wouldn't necessarily recommend that. I would say that you should try and work in some testing into that schedule as well pretty soon. Probably 5 hours of production is about my limit. Sometimes that takes 5-6 hours other days that takes 7 or 8 hours depending on the distractions. Set a tough schedule of enough content and testing to do before exam day and then follow it. Don't base it off time, then you offer yourself no incentive to complete the task because you just need to get through "6 hours" or whatever.

Reactions: 1 user
I study all morning and afternoon. It isn't about how many hours you put into it but rather what you're doing. Create a schedule that you can consistently follow and do it. Try to start your FLs no later than mid-August. Personally, I focused too much on content review and am now just starting to get serious about working passages. I have the same test date as you.

Knowing myself, I believe I am fine. I just need to do more timed practice rather than just reading + answering discretes.

For example, your day can start off like this:

6:00 am: Wake up, eat breakfast and watch TV for 20 minutes to get yourself alert
6:30 am-7:00 am: Do a few verbal passages
8:00 am-9:00 am: Work out (go jogging outside)
9:00 am: Take shower/daily routine
9:30 am-10:30 am: Do Khan Academy questions for reviewing material you've already read, do Anki flash cards, etc.
10:30 am - NOON: Do passages
NOON: Eat lunch
1:00 pm-3:00 pm: Do passages
3:00 pm-5:00 pm: Review passages in detail

Whatever time you have left, just skim through your notes and make sure you remember your equations and quick math tricks. Just don't drive yourself insane. If you need a break after a while, watch TV for 30 minutes or go outside for a breath of fresh air.

10 pm: Go to bed

Last edited:
5.5-8 hours of studying daily. Usually the 5.5 hour days are on my "lighter" relaxed days (but sometimes those days are also 3 hours). I study pretty much until I think I can't really absorb anymore for the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same for me.
On free days, I study for 4-5 hours (9 to 2pm or 10 to 3 pm). I take the long break, two hours. I try to stay away from my computer, tv and anything with screen. Eyes must take a break :hurting:
Then at it again from 6 pm to 10/11 pm.

Last edited:
Taking end of August.

May: Studied 4-5 hours. Was pretty solid with the material. Did passage practice thoroughly with BR.
June: Same as May, took a few break days, studied essentially the same.
July: Holy crap, my exam is next month = 7-8 hours a day.
August: I have a feeling that the exam coming up will push me up to 10 hours a day LOL break days will be so great.