How many hours/day do you study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

To both pre-pharmacy and pharmacy students, I'd like to know how many hours/day do you have to study for your materials? As for me, I spend at least 3-4 hours/day to learn my materials. I never did this when i was at Undergrad. :)

Members don't see this ad.

rxforlife2004 said:
Hi all,

To both pre-pharmacy and pharmacy students, I'd like to know how many hours/day do you have to study for your materials? As for me, I spend at least 3-4 hours/day to learn my materials. I never did this when i was at Undergrad. :)

Well im prepharm and I don't study every day. I would say about 10 hours a week. I'm enjoying it now before pharm school

Well for me there is a big difference in how much I should study and in how much I actually do study. I think I could study an hour a day and improve my grades. Right now I'm not really studying at all until about 3 days before the exam. So far that strategy has been working for me, but again there is always room for improvement and I think daily studying would definitely help.

I told myself that I was going to do less procrastinating in pharmacy school, but so far, 8 weeks in and not much has changed. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For my P1 year, I studied about the same as my senior year as a bio major. With my P2 year, I feel like it doesn't end. A lot of my studying is through case studies. For therapeutics, we are assigned several cases a week. It takes lots of study time to formulate your answers to the questions that they pose to you. You have to incorporate your other classes such as pharmacology.

I only spend about 20 hours a week going over notes and doing that type of studying for exams.

well i have a therapeutics test tomorrow
i'm a p3
and i have studied hmmm 6 hours?

now
note
do not do what i do
keep up with your material
30 mins a day would do wonders for me
alas...

i continue year after year telling myself that i'm going to get better...

:oops:

I'm pre-pharmacy. I'm carrying 14 semester hours. I study about 25 hours per week outside of class (in addition to working about 20 hours per week). It pays off since my GPA is really high. Sometimes, though, I think I'd like to have another life. :) It'll all be worth it - eventually.

I'm on rotations right now (no exams), but today is my 22nd 8-hour day in a row. I have rotations at the hospital M-F and I work all day Sat and Sunday in retail. Only about 48 more days of this (straight), then it's back to classes and exams. :D

Just wait until you think about residency, jd. I usually have an hour or two of reading to get through AFTER my 10 hour day. :)

Generally once or twice a week for a couple hours is all that I study. That will increase dramatically though during test weeks, but oh well.

Tuck said:
Generally once or twice a week for a couple hours is all that I study. That will increase dramatically though during test weeks, but oh well.

That's every week for me. We have an exam every week, a quiz every week, an oral quiz (therapeutics verbal defense) session every week. I have to be prepared for all of them, so I don't get much of a break. I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. I hate turkey, but at least I'll have a couple of days off.

I have a couple quizzes this week, and tests the next 2 weeks after that, so I am getting ready to ramp up on the study time a bit. My biggest problem for some of these classes is having a good idea of what to study at this point. Hopefully I can get my hands on a few old exams to give me an idea of how these professors test.

Almost done with P1 year and I study 3-4 hours per weekday and 6 on weekends. Got all As.