How many hours did you work in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tatu78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Before applyinng to dental school, how many hours had you worked (paid job)? If it was a lot, say more than 2,000 hours, did you bring it up in your interview or will you be bringing it up? Do you think it will/has helped you, gave you a better chance of getting accepted? I'm asking because it seems like I will be racking up quite a number of hours from working, which is why I won't have extracurriculars to add to my d application. i'm hoping that the lacking in one area will be made up from working.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have some sort of a leadership position at your job that will certainly help your case.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have some sort of a leadership position at your job that will certainly help your case.

Don't necessarily know as I'm an esl/math tutor and a med tech at a cardiology center

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a bit tough but it's possible to get more extracurriculars on there! Keep an eye out for opportunities that might not cost you too much time and would fit well on your schedule and resume. I'd def. talk about mine if given the opportunity. If nothing else, just make sure you have a healthy amount of shadowing hours. (2.5k hours here)

Would working as self employed be considered points in the leadership department?

I wonder the same thing. I was self employed for the majority of undergrad working as a mechanic. I sure hope so.

I wonder the same thing. I was self employed for the majority of undergrad working as a mechanic. I sure hope so.

That's a very difficult job, kuddos to you. Hope they notice that.

That's a very difficult job, kuddos to you. Hope they notice that.

Thanks. I definitely enjoyed it though because I'm a huge car enthusiast. However, you get pretty sore when you're doing certain jobs. Contemplated sleep vs studying many times during undergrad. But regarding your situation, I think it's a positive that you worked those jobs during undergrad. Life experience + interacting with different people is important IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks. I definitely enjoyed it though because I'm a huge car enthusiast. However, you get pretty sore when you're doing certain jobs. Contemplated sleep vs studying many times during undergrad. But regarding your situation, I think it's a positive that you worked those jobs during undergrad. Life experience + interacting with different people is important IMO.

Having the love for it surely eases the pain :)
And thanks! I love what i do and these jobs have shown me that i actually want a career where there is patient interaction.

Having the love for it surely eases the pain :)
And thanks! I love what i do and these jobs have shown me that i actually want a career where there is patient interaction.

Same here. Working on cars made me realize how much I love working with my hands, using tools, etc.

Hey guys,

Before applyinng to dental school, how many hours had you worked (paid job)? If it was a lot, say more than 2,000 hours, did you bring it up in your interview or will you be bringing it up? Do you think it will/has helped you, gave you a better chance of getting accepted? I'm asking because it seems like I will be racking up quite a number of hours from working, which is why I won't have extracurriculars to add to my d application. i'm hoping that the lacking in one area will be made up from working.

Thanks guys!
Over 10,000 hours.. I had no choice but to work 55+ hours every week to support myself for 4 and a half years. It definitely caused my GPA to be not so competitive and I'll probably have to go back and take post-bacc courses to make up for it. It's a vicious cycle and I can't get out it. I'll definitely mention it during the interview (if I ever get one).