How many hours do/did you study a day in undergrad? (Upper division)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many hours do/did you study for undergrad upper division classes per day?

• 0-1 Hour

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • 1-2 Hours

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • 3-4 Hours

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • 4-5 Hours

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • 5-6 Hours

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 7+ Hours

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
M

mitrieD

How many hours do/did you study for upper division classes in undergrad per day?

Members don't see this ad.

If you average days before a test with non-looming-test days...

3-5 hours per day.

Wow seriously. How do/did some of you get by with 0-1 or even 1-2 hours a day... geniuses...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to say, some weeks it was only an hour a day, some 4 hours a day, and then there's cramming. I voted 3-4 as what may have been the average.

Are you just asking out of idle curiosity, or are you trying to find out for a specific reason? :)

Wow seriously. How do/did some of you get by with 0-1 or even 1-2 hours a day... geniuses...
Crackpot majors like communications, supply chain management, elementary education. You get the idea...

(yes i know most of the people here are in sciences.. i'm just speaking generally)

0-1 PER DAY. I usually spent 2hours or so PER WEEK outside of class for a class like OCHEM. Tack on an additional 4-6 hours the day before a test. Test every month give or take... 30 days 12-14hours per test + class. Answer = 0-1 PER DAY.

Your problem is in the question ;)

I majored in biology, and if you're doing it right there's no need to ever study 6 hours a day. Keep up with the material and study actively, then study 3 or 4 hours a day before a test. If you're putting in more time than that and not getting straight A's you probably should change something about how you study.

Yah. Just go to class every day and you'll average 0-1 hour of studying outside of class.

Then the day before the exam and day of the exam, my average goes up to 8-10 hours :D

Doesn't fly in d-school though...

I havent taken many upper level classes but for Genetics, Microbiology and both Organic Chems I usually didnt study much til 2-3 days before the test. then prob put in about 10 hours all 2-3 of those days. (2 for the biologys, 3 for the organics)

Last semester I had 2 profs that did weekly tests instead of a midterm and final so I studied a little bit every day, 1-2 hours total per day.

This semester is more like others I have had where there are mid-terms and finals and they all seem to overlap each other so I study very little in weeks between these tests and 8-10 hrs a day the days right before the tests.

Right now I have 6 tests in the next 8 days so I am doing 10+ hours a day until the end.

I know these are bad habits that I will have to change in d-school...

It's hard to say, some weeks it was only an hour a day, some 4 hours a day, and then there's cramming. I voted 3-4 as what may have been the average.

Are you just asking out of idle curiosity, or are you trying to find out for a specific reason? :)

Not really for any specific reason. Just out of curiosity and comparing others to my habits. If I don't pull like 4-5 hours a day (not one subject, and not including lecture), then I don't get the grades. I guess we all know our limits and abilities...

Last semester I had 2 profs that did weekly tests instead of a midterm and final so I studied a little bit every day, 1-2 hours total per day.

This semester is more like others I have had where there are mid-terms and finals and they all seem to overlap each other so I study very little in weeks between these tests and 8-10 hrs a day the days right before the tests.

Right now I have 6 tests in the next 8 days so I am doing 10+ hours a day until the end.

I know these are bad habits that I will have to change in d-school...
The thing is you'll have so much crap crammed into your head in dschool that you can't possibly keep up with all of it. It is literally impossible. You basically pick the classes that will be important and keep up with those and cram for everything else.

I myself voted 3-4 but as per usual it can vary (test weeks, days, finals etc). Really over the past few years I have been trying to entwine bigger and more efficient study plan which I'm hoping will lead to better study habits should I be able to get into a d-school for the 2013 year. So far it has worked IMHO, now I just need to execute on the rest.

Should I take offense to this first sentence? History major here. ;)

No, i don't consider this a 'crackpot' major. not to offend people, when i say "crackpot" major i'm thinking of majors in which people just choose it because it's easy and they want to coast through and not necessarily have a goal of getting any sort of job related to their specific degree. For example, how will hundreds of people graduating with a physical education teaching degree help you when there are none of those jobs available.

Maybe i'm just salty after spending so much more time doing homework and lab work for a single credit being a science major than most of the other majors.