How many II invites do you have so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you're canceling? I had a similar problem, but I figured I'd just send my cat to one of the interviews. my app pretty much guarantees me acceptance anyway, and if I've learned anything from SDN it's that adcoms love cats.

I know what you're thinking, but don't worry--I bought him a very appropriate navy suit. I'm sure he'll be much more appropriately dressed than most of the humans.
You know I've never considered sending a surrocat...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
You know I've never considered sending a surrocat...

honestly, I'm considering doing it for all of my interviews. I think it shows creativity and initiative.

Reactions: 1 user
honestly, I'm considering doing it for all of my interviews. I think it shows creativity and initiative.
Don't forget leadership and diversity skills! You've got to map out the surrocat's itinerary and make sure you fit in plenty of time for its napping.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget leadership and diversity skills! You've got to map out the surrocat's itinerary and make sure you fit in plenty of time for its napping.

now I'm just picturing all of the things I could use a surrocat for... can I send my surrocat to work for me while I sleep and neglect to kill mice?

If I added an extra LOR on my AMCAS and TMDSAS, will admissions committees wait on that extra letter before reviewing my application? They already have my premed committee letter, this extra letter is just from my current supervisor from my gap year. Everything else including secondaries are finished, but still no IIs yet. Just wondering if waiting on this extra LOR can be a factor.

LizzyM- 75
Complete at 20 schools from mid july to early august.
Edit: 8 II

Last edited:
Only 1, but that's 1 more than last year so I ain't complaining :D (re-applicant)

Reactions: 5 users
  • Applied to 27 MD, complete mid June. 26 secondaries received and completed 2-3 days after receipt.
  • LizzyM 70.9 (512, 3.89), non-trad, current healthcare worker, URM status.
  • 2 rejections. 4 II, 2 in late September, 1 each in early and late October.
I know I'm pretty fortunate to have as many IIs as I do now, but I still can't help but feel anxious about my odds.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Applied to 27 MD, complete mid June. 26 secondaries received and completed 2-3 days after receipt.
  • LizzyM 70.9 (512, 3.89), non-trad, current healthcare worker, URM status.
  • 2 rejections. 4 II, 2 in late September, 1 each in early and late October.
I know I'm pretty fortunate to have as many IIs as I do now, but I still can't help but feel anxious about my odds.
Smh dude just don't be a sociopath and you're in

So basically, good sign for more if you have gotten an ii already but not the end of the game if you haven't until much later in the cycle?

Last edited:
54 IIs come at me

really though comparing IIs at the point is meaningless

Reactions: 6 users
Do the schools that reject applicants very early in the cycle ever regret that action when they are granting offers from the wait list? (Probably not due to the volume of applicants), but I still think that schools that wait to reject until the end of the cycle may have a better pool to pick from.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do the schools that reject applicants very early in the cycle ever regret that action when they are granting offers from the wait list? (Probably not due to the volume of applicants), but I still think that schools that wait to reject until the end of the cycle may have a better pool to pick from.

I mean does it matter if they reject 50% of applicants? they still have 2000 to choose from ! I have a sneaking suspicion that the number of interviews is roughly equal to the worse case scenario of people bolting to other programs and having to scramble to fill the remaining seats.

I think an admissions director could walk to the closest advanced biology lecture, randomly pick ~100 students in the lecture hall, and have a basically competent medical school class. It's so competitive that even after rejecting huge amounts of people they still have a plethora of applicants to choose from.

I suspect that those who are rejected early are simply not competitive for that particular school - and that's not just a matter of stats. It could be that the school feels that the applicant is the polar opposite of what it's looking for in terms of intangible qualities. I also suspect that schools that wait until the end of the cycle to reject are only releasing those rejections at that time - they have already decided on rejecting the uncompetitive applicants early on. That's my guess.

Lol @ some people with 510+ MCAT scores and 3.7+ GPA's saying, "guys chill out."

Edit: ...or "I didn't think I'd get an interview. I'm shocked!"

-.-

Last edited:
schools get several thousand applications that get reduced to several hundred invites that get reduced to a few hundred acceptees/WL to a hundred or so matriculants. At least 80% of applicants are rejected pre interview.
I think my point was that schools never regret outright rejections because their interviews slots roughly equate to worse case senario where no one would matriculate off of the first batch of acceptances. They would be able to build the class from the rest of the people on the wait-list.

Three IIs. Med school interviewers, prepare to be charmed. Female adcoms, try not to fall too in love with me. Beverly Hills Plastic Surgery practice, here I come.

One II and it is to the same and only school that interviewed me two years ago. Ugh, would anyone be willing to share what they think is their strongest secondary or an excerpt? I am trying to get an idea of what makes a good essay. To me, my writing sounds good and I answer their prompts, but I guess they don't think so. I need help y'all =/

One II and it is to the same and only school that interviewed me two years ago. Ugh, would anyone be willing to share what they think is their strongest secondary or an excerpt? I am trying to get an idea of what makes a good essay. To me, my writing sounds good and I answer their prompts, but I guess they don't think so. I need help y'all =/

I just wrote about the things that were important to me and emphasized how my past will impact my future choices when it comes to healthcare. I know that's vague, but at the end of the day you just gotta do you. Just make sure to include examples and imagery in your responses.

I hope you get more love dude!

Reactions: 1 users
I just wrote about the things that were important to me and emphasized how my past will impact my future choices when it comes to healthcare. I know that's vague, but at the end of the day you just gotta do you. Just make sure to include examples and imagery in your responses.

I hope you get more love dude!
12 IIs!? You are definitely doing something right or just have something they want. We have a similar LizzyM, so I just have to work on selling myself through my secondaries. Thanks for the advice.

4 DO IIs no word from MD so far

EDIT: make that 5 as of Friday morning

Last edited:
0 IIs. 520 MCAT. 3.8+ uGPA and sGPA. Complete to ~12 schools August 2nd. Complete to 4 more a few days to weeks after. Going crazy over here. I just want one!

0 IIs. 520 MCAT. 3.8+ uGPA and sGPA. Complete to ~12 schools August 2nd. Complete to 4 more a few days to weeks after. Going crazy over here. I just want one!
I'll gladly take one over none.
One is all I need to keep playing this so called waiting game.

I'll gladly take one over none.
One is all I need to keep playing this so called waiting game.

Right? I'm getting pretty neurotic about checking my emails now. And at least if there's one II you know that your application doesn't have an end-all red-mark like a terrible LOR or something.

I'm very glad for my 2 II's, one of which is one of my top choices (Mayo :D)

Last edited:
I'm very glad for my 2 II's, one of which is one of my top choices (Mayo :D), but it's actually quite stressful right now cuz
1) not a single one of my many IS schools has given me an interview and
2) most of my friends have interviews at top 10 schools except me... and I was verified on the 24th and submitted all my secondaries within the month of july..

I spent massive amounts of effort on those secondaries to make up for my meh MCAT but doesn't seem to be working
Mayo is a big deal!! No?

I'm very glad for my 2 II's, one of which is one of my top choices (Mayo :D), but it's actually quite stressful right now cuz
1) not a single one of my many IS schools has given me an interview and
2) most of my friends have interviews at top 10 schools except me... and I was verified on the 24th and submitted all my secondaries within the month of july..

I spent massive amounts of effort on those secondaries to make up for my meh MCAT but doesn't seem to be working
Mayo is such a big deal though. Congratulations!!

1 II and hoping for more (please, please MD gods!) Complete mid June, LizzyM 69-70

I have 0 IIs so far. However, I just wanna respond to your comment.

I feel like a distinction has to be made between an essay that is just "well written" and an essay that actually makes the reader go "ahh, ok, so how would this applicant apply this idea he introduces in real life or in a patient situation?"

So the things you say in your essay can't be so one dimensional or simplistic/generic - but at the same time, they can't be too over the top. Your essay, most likely, has to be interesting in a thought provoking way - that is, enough for the reader to say "I feel like I can have a productive conversation with this person on this (relevant) topic and that topic"...especially if your essay isn't literally "well, I learned this for this experience and that from that experience, and I discovered this about myself."
Yes, I definitely agree. But apparently that is much more difficult to do, considering the both of us have such a small number of IIs. I imagine those who have a decent handful are doing a great job distinguishing themselves in their secondaries and I want to learn how to do that more effectively.

And I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility of people sharing their secondaries on here. I have had two people share secondaries with me over DM. They just don't advertise it. But the help I have received has been very helpful and given me new ideas for my remaining secondaries. It just depends on who happens to be reading when you ask for help: 1) the screw you go do your own work type or 2) the sure, here is one of my more successful essays. I think it worked because A, B, and C. If you want, I would be more than happy to edit some of your work.

Kind of a matter of luck and timing. And honestly, the latter are the type of people I would rather go to medical school with or have them be my doctor.

But thanks for your words of advice. In the middle of all this writing, it is nice to have a reminder and recenter my mind with the goal.

I have 1 interview invite so far, hoping for more later *crosses fingers*

Posting anonymously:

- LizzyM 73
- 28 MD secondaries submitted mid-late July
- 6 II's, 2 rejections, 20 ?'s
- No research but 1000s of hours of ECs

There's something very interesting I've noticed - my two friends here (top 10 undergrad) are having two very different app cycles
One has a LM of like 77 and has like 10 IIs at all the top schools
Now this other guy is a superstar on campus - he beats us all in tests in class, near 4.0, is president of like everything with positions on the student council, even has a pub - and has 1 II - he underperformed on his mcat, didn't retake, and isn't getting any love from the research powerhouses. Guess med school apps is more numbers based than I thought, more so than college apps..

There's something very interesting I've noticed - my two friends here (top 10 undergrad) are having two very different app cycles
One has a LM of like 77 and has like 10 IIs at all the top schools
Now this other guy is a superstar on campus - he beats us all in tests in class, near 4.0, is president of like everything with positions on the student council, even has a pub - and has 1 II - he underperformed on his mcat, didn't retake, and isn't getting any love from the research powerhouses. Guess med school apps is more numbers based than I thought, more so than college apps..

seems like the second guy doesn't really want to become a doctor, he probably just applied to top schools for the heck of it