How many II invites do you have so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's something very interesting I've noticed - my two friends here (top 10 undergrad) are having two very different app cycles
One has a LM of like 77 and has like 10 IIs at all the top schools
Now this other guy is a superstar on campus - he beats us all in tests in class, near 4.0, is president of like everything with positions on the student council, even has a pub - and has 1 II - he underperformed on his mcat, didn't retake, and isn't getting any love from the research powerhouses. Guess med school apps is more numbers based than I thought, more so than college apps..
The guy with a 77 isn't a superstar?

Members don't see this ad.

There's something very interesting I've noticed - my two friends here (top 10 undergrad) are having two very different app cycles
One has a LM of like 77 and has like 10 IIs at all the top schools
Now this other guy is a superstar on campus - he beats us all in tests in class, near 4.0, is president of like everything with positions on the student council, even has a pub - and has 1 II - he underperformed on his mcat, didn't retake, and isn't getting any love from the research powerhouses. Guess med school apps is more numbers based than I thought, more so than college apps..
Meh. Not really. Stats aren't everything but I think stats get you looked at quicker. The 77 dude is no slouch, buddy. That's nearly perfect as well. And with the good MCAT score, of course he'll get looked at before your other friend. At the end though, I think your other friend will close the gap as he gets second, third, fourth pick etc. interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh. Second guy. Come on, 520, use those comprehension skills
What are you talking about? I said that the poster made a distinction between a person with a 77 LizzyM, and someone else he considers a superstar. Which is strange because a 77 LizzyM is definitely a superstar.

Reactions: 1 user
LizzyM about 70
21 Secondaries, 5II, 2R, 1H, 13?'s

Last edited:
So jealous of all the people holding IIs... I submitted 25 secondaries, but haven't heard anything yet :/

What are you talking about? I said that the poster made a distinction between a person with a 77 LizzyM, and someone else he considers a superstar. Which is strange because a 77 LizzyM is definitely a superstar.
Haha it's because at my school a 76-80 is pretty damn common, while the second guy has a 74

Haha it's because at my school a 76-80 is pretty damn common, while the second guy has a 74
A 74 is still really high... Unless the guy with the 4.0 has less then a 508, he (you?) shouldn't worry.

LM: 65-70
Applied: Mid-June 14 MD, 1 DO
IIs: 2 MD

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are these self reported LizzyM values? I have a sneaking suspicion that they be exaggerated like self reported male genitalia sizes on surveys

Reactions: 14 users
4 IIs, 72-75 (deps if schools avg MCAT or not), mostly mid-tier. Also I'm a reapp that had only 1 II last cycle

Reactions: 4 users
4 IIs, 72-75 (deps if schools avg MCAT or not), mostly mid-tier. Also I'm a reapp that had only 1 II last cycle

Sweet improvement. What did you change in the past year that helped you land more?

Sweet improvement. What did you change in the past year that helped you land more?

I applied 3 weeks earlier, started a new job, took on 2 new clinical activities, boosted my MCAT (studying for the new one sucked), did a DIY postbac b/c my GPA was not so bad as to warrant an SMP. I also called the schools that didnt accept me and personally met with the dean (if the school was close by and allowed it) to really glean for clues on what went wrong. My diagnosis for doing poorly last round: average stats, lowish clinical hours (~150 including shadowing), mediocre LoRs (mostly from profs with 200+ people lectures), and having nothing that stands out.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO, 18 secondaries submitted, 1 II so far, no rejections yet (knock on wood), 9 inch genitalia.

Reactions: 1 users
LizzyM 70-75
20 secondaries submitted from late June into the end of July, primary was submitted the first day with all rec letters as well.
7 IIs, 1 hold, 2 rejections, 10?. Been to 5 interviews so far, have another tomorrow.

LizzyM 70-75
20 secondaries submitted from late June into the end of July, primary was submitted the first day with all rec letters as well.
7 IIs, 1 hold, 2 rejections, 10?. Been to 5 interviews so far, have another tomorrow.
Top decile of interviews offered. Are you texan ? Also when did you receive all the II's?

LizzyM 78
Interested mainly in schools in the Midwest:
8 secondaries most submitted mid-August. Complete at all schools by Aug 20th.

1 II, 1 rejection.

Re-app LM 70-71 - had 1 MD interview last year, have 5 II so far this year. Was expecting 2 II tops for this entire year so feeling shocked and like it's a mistake (not humblebrag, legitimately felt like ****ty garbage after last cycle so shocked is an understatement)

Reactions: 5 users
@libertyyne
I'm a NY resident, almost all the schools I applied to are in the Northeast. I received 5 of 7 IIs from July 28th through August 9th. I got another at the end of an August and the most recent one last week.

@libertyyne
I'm a NY resident, almost all the schools I applied to are in the Northeast. I received 5 of 7 IIs from July 28th through August 9th. I got another at the end of an August and the most recent one last week.
Steller App so far. You have a seat waiting for you on the other side.

Re-app LM 70-71 - had 1 MD interview last year, have 5 II so far this year. Was expecting 2 II tops for this entire year so feeling shocked and like it's a mistake (not humblebrag, legitimately felt like ****ty garbage after last cycle so shocked is an understatement)
What did you do differently?

What did you do differently?
Applied earlier (aka not October) and with a more broad list which is huge but also got WAY more clinical experience. Made an enormous difference. Also got a publication since last year but got asked about the new clinical stuff so far in interviews (it's with underserved, uninsured populations so def a hot topic at interviews). But it seems like getting a lot of clinical exposure at work was a big plus too and I've seen that help a lot of the other nontrads on here.

I also think my secondaries were better written, more reflective.

But hopefully none of the people on this thread will need this advice and everyone will get in their first time WOOT

Reactions: 2 users
I have 4 II (2 from my state schools, 2 private schools), two rejections (one from a private school, one for an OOS school) and I'm waiting on 20 schools. What's strange is I got all of my IIs in august and have heard NOTHING throughout the entire month of September. I was complete at almost all my schools (sans a few that I added a couple weeks ago) in early to mid july. I have a 3.5 c/s GPA and 520 MCAT.

*Got another II (OOS public school) and another rejection today (Mid/top tier private school). Dramatic day haha.

Last edited:
I have 4 II (2 from my state schools, 2 private schools), two rejections (one from a private school, one for an OOS school) and I'm waiting on 20 schools. What's strange is I got all of my IIs in august and have heard NOTHING throughout the entire month of September. I was complete at almost all my schools (sans a few that I added a couple weeks ago) in early to mid july. I have a 3.5 c/s GPA and 520 MCAT.
I wish I was you. We have the same stats, but I was complete from late August to early September. No II's yet.

Just wanted to pop in and say a few things:

1. For those of you with 4+ interviews this early in the year, I hope you realize how extraordinary that is. Regardless of what happens, you should be very proud of that.
2. For those of you who have only one interview, huge congratulations. The difference between one interview and zero interviews is enormous. If you one interview, you have passed muster at one school, which definitively means that there is nothing "wrong" with your application (something that I worried about immensely before I got my first interview).
3. If you don't have any interviews, worry not. You are still two months away from when the SDN dogma says you are supposed to "start worrying" and it is still September. Lots and lots and lots of things can happen in the next few months. Realistically, it's probably just that your numbers are a little more on the average side and the schools are prioritizing the applicants who have obscene scores, life experiences, or whatever that particular admissions committee cares about. It will happen.

I wish you all the very best of luck!

Reactions: 29 users
Same- I got 3 of my 5 interviews within one week in August, but September has been crickets. Maybe we'll both have more interviews in future waves, but you're not alone!

1. For those of you with 4+ interviews this early in the year, I hope you realize how extraordinary that is. Regardless of what happens, you should be very proud of that.
2. For those of you who have only one interview, huge congratulations. The difference between one interview and zero interviews is enormous. If you one interview, you have passed muster at one school, which definitively means that there is nothing "wrong" with your application (something that I worried about immensely before I got my first interview).
3. If you don't have any interviews, worry not. You are still two months away from when the SDN dogma says you are supposed to "start worrying" and it is still September. Lots and lots and lots of things can happen in the next few months. Realistically, it's probably just that your numbers are a little more on the average side and the schools are prioritizing the applicants who have obscene scores, life experiences, or whatever that particular admissions committee cares about. It will happen.

I appreciate this - very good post!

I have 3 IIs (two from my state schools, one from OOS). LizzyM 73, was complete for most schools around mid-late July. Heard from my undergrad school SUPER early around first week of August and got in on the first interview day, then had about a three week wait til my second around 8/30, just recently got my third on 9/23!

They're prioritizing obscene life experiences? Guess I should get some more of those :laugh:

Lizzy M around 73. 9 secondaries completed around mid-July, 6 + years of EMS experience (4 as a medic), 2 II and 1 rejection so far

Lizzy M around 73. 9 secondaries completed around mid-July, 6 + years of EMS experience (4 as a medic), 2 II and 1 rejection so far

I'm feeling a lot worse about my personal odds after seeing this

I'm feeling a lot worse about my personal odds after seeing this

Haha! Me too . Sounds like an impressive application. Maybe applied only to state schools and a few others. So little to no overlap in your apps

Haha! Me too . Sounds like an impressive application. Maybe applied only to state schools and a few others. So little to no overlap in your apps

Try not to compare to others (I know its hard) . Every medical school weighs applications differently. For example, I have no research and little volunteer experience and thus (most likely) will be rejected from many schools simply for that reason. I'm sure in some aspects and to some medical schools you are a more competitive applicant than I am. Apply broadly, sell yourself in your secondaries and interviews.. remember we just need 1, stay strong

I'll share my story!

Third time applicant, first 2 cycles applied with a >3.7 GPA and a 29 MCAT, got 1 II first time, 2 IIs second time (the one place that interviewed me both of those cycles (Downstate) was just due to nepotism, my parent has been on faculty at the school for over 30 years, I did not apply there again this cycle.)

This time: applied to ~20 MD schools, already have 4 IIs, been to 2 interviews so far with the other 2 scheduled mid October. 1 pre-II Rejection, 1 pre II-Hold. Expecting to actually have a choice between 2 or 3 schools! What changed? I finally got around to retaking the MCAT and got a 516. It is now very very clear to me just how much that one test matters. Going from a school's bottom 10th percentile to top 90th percentile of applicants obviously puts you in a much different position. If you are someone reading this who has a borderline MCAT and knows they can do better, take the time to retake! It makes a world of difference.

Reactions: 8 users
2 II 1 Rejection and a whole lot of email refreshing. LM 69-70 interviews both scheduled for October

I'll share my story!

Third time applicant, first 2 cycles applied with a >3.7 GPA and a 29 MCAT, got 1 II first time, 2 IIs second time (the one place that interviewed me both of those cycles (Downstate) was just due to nepotism, my parent has been on faculty at the school for over 30 years, I did not apply there again this cycle.)

This time: applied to ~20 MD schools, already have 4 IIs, been to 2 interviews so far with the other 2 scheduled mid October. 1 pre-II Rejection, 1 pre II-Hold. Expecting to actually have a choice between 2 or 3 schools! What changed? I finally got around to retaking the MCAT and got a 516. It is now very very clear to me just how much that one test matters. Going from a school's bottom 10th percentile to top 90th percentile of applicants obviously puts you in a much different position. If you are someone reading this who has a borderline MCAT and knows they can do better, take the time to retake! It makes a world of difference.

I've come to the conclusion that the MCAT is literally the most important test of any pre-meds life...
It really makes a huge difference in terms of the overall app.

Congratulations on your 516 and congratulations on all your interviews, I'm sure you'll be hearing good news soon. ;)

Every time I look at this thread I get anxiety.

I think I'm gonna start limiting my SDN check-ins to once a day....

Reactions: 3 users
Due to certain occurence today, I had to make a slight change to my original post.
Congrats! Stats, school, complete date, favorite tv show, eye color, and date of birth?

Congrats! Stats, school, complete date, favorite tv show, eye color, and date of birth?
I would also like to add name of street he/she grew up on, mother's maiden name and preference of over vs under toilet-paper roll placement.

I would also like to add name of street he/she grew up on, mother's maiden name and preference of over vs under toilet-paper roll placement.
Come on guys, you also need SSN, AMCAS ID, and password to bank account. What are we amateurs?

LizzyM 73-75 (don't know how new MCAT is weighted). Got 2 II in early August (nothing Sept) and 3 rejections. Silence from 30? schools. Complete mostly mid/late July.

Same- I got 3 of my 5 interviews within one week in August, but September has been crickets. Maybe we'll both have more interviews in future waves, but you're not alone!

Same here. I got couple in August but none in September. Makes me feel better knowing that September has been silent for other ppl too. * sigh

If you prefer under hand, your life is a lie per the inventor of toilet paper.

US465588-0.png