How Many Interviews Do I Need to Satistically Get 1 Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thetoothhurts91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it. I got an interview at one of my top three choices. But lets say I get an interview at all 8 of my schools, how many do I need to at least attend to be in a safe zone?

Members don't see this ad.

Title pretty much says it. I got an interview at one of my top three choices. But lets say I get an interview at all 8 of my schools, how many do I need to at least attend to be in a safe zone?

There's no way to statistically approach this. Some get away with only 1, and some reapply after having multiple interviews and coming up empty. You can't crunch numbers with any certainty when it basically comes down to personality and how someone perceives your personality that day. Crazy things happen. Feel good about having multiple interviews, but I'm not sure I'd consider there to be a safe number. Even with schools like Pacific who accept pretty much all who they invite to interview.

But that answer isn't fun and this is sdn. So I'll say 3 should be good as long as you're not a weirdo and have a nice suit. And those crucial thank you cards!

Reactions: 1 users
I know every school is different. And with the way I have to fly in and out the next day I will probably look terrible haha but have a nice personality. I have one interview with one of my top two picks so I am hoping my lesser liked schools are post December interviews. Best case scenario is I get one acceptance on Dec 1, and cancel my flights for the two schools I added last minute.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say you get accepted at half as many schools you interview at, but not always true

It varies from school to school, but I'm pretty sure they interview about 5x the amount that end up enrolling, and a lot of schools accept significantly more than the final enrollment. Id ball park it at 1/3 interviewees are accepted so 3 interviews would statistically mean you should get in somewhere. I'm literally pulling these numbers out of my a$$ though so you'll need to look at the ADEA guide to get official stats of interviews vs enrollees at whatever schools you're interested in.

Just kill one interview and you'll be fine... I only interviewed at one school at got accepted December 2nd, worry about more important things than this.

Reactions: 1 user