How many interviews to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Embryo2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know how many interviews you did (current residents) or are planning to do (other applicants). I'm having a really rough time narrowing down my list of programs--so much so that I'm tempted to interview at 12 or more right now. I would be fine time and money-wise. I just don't know if I'll have the energy for those programs left at the end of the trail. Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Amy said:
What specialty are you applying for?

I'm applying to ob/gyn. I know that it's completely unnecessary to interview at 12+ programs. I'm just interested in visiting many of the programs I've applied to. Thoughts anyone?

If you truly *want* to interview at 12, then do it. Odds are once you get to 8-10 interviews you are going to be running out of steam and desire to keep it up if you are not truly interested in the remaining programs.

I interviewed at 13 (not for OB though) and I ran out of oomph around #10 or 11...but pressed on for the last couple.

You can ALWAYS schedule the interview and cancel it later on, but you may not always be able to hold off on scheduling it and ensure they have a slot for you later on.

Is it really completely unnecessary to apply and interview at 12? I think it really depends on how competitive you are, how competitive the programs are, etc. I interviewed at 17 for general surgery but it was probably too many (in hindsight).

Those in your field/on your faculty would be best placed to tell you how many programs you should apply to. The last thing you want is to limit your interviews because of being too tired or other factors and find yourself wishing you'd seen another place.

Many I know are interviewing around 6-8 places. Haven't heard more than 10 yet.

Personally, I'm interviewing at 6 programs (EM).

later

Smurfette said:
If you truly *want* to interview at 12, then do it. Odds are once you get to 8-10 interviews you are going to be running out of steam and desire to keep it up if you are not truly interested in the remaining programs.

This is my exact dilema. I really do want to visit these programs to see if any of them are for me.

I interviewed at 13 (not for OB though) and I ran out of oomph around #10 or 11...but pressed on for the last couple.

It's encouraging to hear that this is doable. I'm just extra cautious because some of my most desirable programs are offering interviews later in the season. Thanks for the replies. Keep your insights coming!

i wonder what is the most number of interviews a person did in a single year

Embryo2006 said:
This is my exact dilema. I really do want to visit these programs to see if any of them are for me.

I interviewed in pathology last year and did 12 interviews. I had 15 scheduled but ended up canceling my last 3 because I was tired and out of money. I started really burning out around #11-12. (It didn't help that I did my last 5 interviews in 5 straight days.) I think 10 for me would have been comfortably do-able, but like you I really wanted to see a lot of programs and get a sense for what was out there. Plus, the competetiveness of path shot up that year and I wasn't sure where I stood in the applicant pool, and I was limiting myself geographically to the West Coast so all those factors led me to interview at a lot of places. Hindsight is 20/20 and it turned out to be far too many interviews - I matched where I wanted to go - but I'm glad I looked at a lot of programs and got a good sense of what I should look for, what suits me personally and how different programs do things differently. Plus, one of my very last interviews ended up shooting that program to almost the top of my ROL.

What if you are couples matching?
I am couples matching and we were thinking of interviewing at like 20 programs.
From reading this thread that sounds insane.

Lukin said:
What if you are couples matching?
I am couples matching and we were thinking of interviewing at like 20 programs.
From reading this thread that sounds insane.

A couple I knew last year went on 20-25 (can't remember the exact number). I think one of them was not the most competitive of applicants so they felt they needed that many. They said it was tiring but didn't seem to regret going on all of them, especially since they ended up going relatively far down their rank list in order to match. On the other hand, if you are both very strong applicants going into relatively non-competitive fields, then you may not need quite so many.

To Embryo2006

I interviewed at 14 programs in OB/Gyn 2 years ago. I was a good applicant but was applying to 2 geographic locations (N. Cal and Midwest) and did a combination of university and community programs.
Also, don't discount those last few interviews. . .I Matched at the last place I interviewed and couldn't be happier!

to those that already have gone through the match, what's the latest interview that you have received? Have you received interview invites in Dec or even January? I know some programs (IM) have deadlines until jan 15 or something like that.

mig26x said:
to those that already have gone through the match, what's the latest interview that you have received? Have you received interview invites in Dec or even January? I know some programs (IM) have deadlines until jan 15 or something like that.

usually feb 3, but ive seen some as late as end of the first week of feb

I interpreted the question to mean: "What date did you receive your last interview invitation - is it possible to still be receiving invites into Jan?"

Not to mean - "What day did your last interview occur?" which I think the previous poster was answering.

But as an applicant I'm waiting with you to find out the latest invitation time. :)

Thanks to all for your input. I think I'll push through 12-15 interviews. Shouldn't be *too* bad if I can spread them out through Nov, Dec, & Jan. Wish me luck!

Jamezuva said:
i wonder what is the most number of interviews a person did in a single year

Due to circumstances somewhat beyond my control, I interviewed at 21, had a great time too. But I cannot possibly recommend interviewing at more than 15 to anyone in any specialty, unless you are couples matching and BOTH of you are in very competitive specialties.