How many jobs do you have/have you had?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious -- how many of you work multiple jobs, how many and why? Also, how frequently have you switched jobs since leaving training. The hazard of still being in training is that I'm around people who've generally held one job and held it for a long time. It seems like there's a lot more multiple jobs, switching jobs going on that I'm not seeing.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, lots of jobs. What are your hours breakdowns -- like do you have a primary job and a few moonlighting types of gigs, or do you do 20 hours here, 10 hours there, etc?

During residency I did 4 moonlighting jobs (jail, disability evals, coverage of a private hospital, and county psych emergency room).

Since graduating I've had 4 other jobs, one of which is my private practice.

One job after residency. During residency moonlighted at inpatient psych unit, disability evals, and urgent walk in. My current job has amazing people and I hope I don't have to change jobs for a long time. I also don't have time for any additional jobs.

1 part-time CMHC job for the past 1.5 years. Not planning on switching because I like the continuity with my SMI folks. I also don't feel like stabilizing a whole new crew.

Yeah. Starting a new gig is tough. I'm contemplating doing it again though only for the reason that I kinda want to move home.

It's a hard choice because I really like my colleagues here, would miss my local friends and I'd be moving into an area with both lower salaries and a higher cost of living. Might still be worth it though. There's really no price on time with grandma.

Much to consider.

Still in my first job since residency. 25 years has flown by and I am the luckiest person I know. Role function has changed many times, but I love who I work for and who I work with.

Reactions: 2 users
So a lot of variation. Some people holding multiple jobs, some working for the same place fulltime for years and some switching between various fulltime (or at least single employer) situations. Are things mostly how you want them to be? What do you perceive as the pros/cons of various work arrangements -- well aside from the PITAness of new jobs, which Fonzie and Sunlioness already mentioned. I'm just trying to get a rough handle on psychiatry work out there.

I'm leaning toward doing a parttime community gig + a hospital moonlighting gig + a clinic moonlighting gig I already have (pay sucks, but continuity, right!) + starting a private practice. But I'm also periodically fantasing about bailing on all this and going for fulltime employment somewhere (yes, I know it's a little late).

During residency/fellowship I had 4. Now I have one due to lessons learned from the 4.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen a good number of psychiatrists jump from one job to the next. Even older ones who I would think would prefer to settle down. Not sure if bored, frustrated, or looking for a silver lining. Sucks for the patients when they've had 5-6 outpatient psychiatrists within the span of a couple of years.

I had 1 job for two years immediately after residency, fulfilling my NHSC obligation. Now I'm working mostly with a private practice group, for a little over two years, plus a shift per week in the ER and an hour a month consulting with a CMHC. I like the contrast between ER work and private practice. I also tried working a day a week with a different CMHC but it didn't work out- the private practice group didn't want me to be gone a day a week, and the agency was a bit disorganized.

So a lot of variation. Some people holding multiple jobs, some working for the same place fulltime for years and some switching between various fulltime (or at least single employer) situations. Are things mostly how you want them to be? What do you perceive as the pros/cons of various work arrangements -- well aside from the PITAness of new jobs, which Fonzie and Sunlioness already mentioned. I'm just trying to get a rough handle on psychiatry work out there.

I'm leaning toward doing a parttime community gig + a hospital moonlighting gig + a clinic moonlighting gig I already have (pay sucks, but continuity, right!) + starting a private practice. But I'm also periodically fantasing about bailing on all this and going for fulltime employment somewhere (yes, I know it's a little late).
I don't think it's late at all really. If you find the right job opening I guarantee they want you to start working as soon as possible, so being available July 1 is a good thing. And the state hospital is always hiring (this is advice for every state in the county I assume).

So a lot of variation. Some people holding multiple jobs, some working for the same place fulltime for years and some switching between various fulltime (or at least single employer) situations. Are things mostly how you want them to be? .

I enjoy diversity, and high hourly rates. As better opportunities arrive, others get cut. Having multiple gigs allows me to immediately drop those that make poor administrative changes or diminish my hourly rate.

For instance, one place decided to invest in a new EMR that is AWFUL. It increased time by at least 20% with no gain in pay. After enough practice to realize it would hurt my rate, I immediately sent in my resignation. I didn't have to look around for a new job or apply elsewhere. I just increased my hours elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it's late at all really. If you find the right job opening I guarantee they want you to start working as soon as possible, so being available July 1 is a good thing. And the state hospital is always hiring (this is advice for every state in the county I assume).

:) My state hospital is definitely always hiring, and supposedly those jobs aren't too bad -- academic affiliation, union protection and lots of benefits. Unfortunately it's a one hour plus commute. Definitely not worst case job scenario.