How many MD schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungGeezy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before but I've seen so many different options, from 10-15 or 20-25. I have 15 on a list right now, including 6 in-state schools. My stats are 3.8 GPA, 91st percentile MCAT, 2 years of research in a lab, president of a club I created, mission trip and shadowing among a few other things. I had difficulty in picking the schools but chose mostly based on rank and location. Any tips? Should I apply to more? Or am I just setting myself up to throw away a bunch of money and time?

Members don't see this ad.

With your numbers, you are qualified for the whole range of medical schools. It depends on your comfort with your wallet and how willing you are to put in the cash. I would say that 20 is solid as long as you have a distribution of safeties, middles, and reaches. Some will do 10 others will do 30. Make sure that you would be willing to bother completing the secondaries if/when you receive them; otherwise, you're wasting money on those schools for the AMCAS fees.