How many medical schools accepted you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kakalakingma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello (future and current) doctors,

I'm a newcomer here, so, my advance apology if this is the incorrect forum for my thread!

I have three questions:

1) How many medical schools did you apply to?
2) How many offered interviews?
3) How many accepted you?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

6 applications.
4 interviews.
1 "prematch" acceptance, ranked it #2 overall... no clue how many of the others would have accepted me if I ranked them higher.

About 20, I was a non-traditional with a pretty terrible gpa and sgpa (3.3 and 3.0 respectively) so I wasn't expecting a lot of offers.

4, I went on 3 and declined one after being accepted the others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to 42 (~35 were MD, ~7 were DO)
Offered interview at 10 (only attended 6)
Accepted at 3 + waitlisted at 3

Reactions: 1 users
14 applications
7 interview invitations (attended 6)
2 acceptances + 3 waitlists

I think the applications --> invitations step is more deterministic than interview --> acceptance, so I'd read into the latter less than the former. If I wanted to, I could have busted my butt to get off those waitlists by sending letters, updates, etc. but I didn't, because I already got into a good school.

Reactions: 1 user
20+ applications
A bunch of interview offers but I only went to 3 interviews
2 acceptances and 1 waitlist. I got into my top choice early so I stopped right there.

10 applications
6 interview offers (attended 4)
4 acceptances

I have a similar experience as above posters.

I am a non traditional with fairly good stats. Exact numbers can be found in the link to my MDapps under my avatar.

I applied to about 12 DO and about 8 MD schools. I was granted interviews at most. I attended 5, and had 3 acceptances. I canceled all my other interviews after my acceptances.

dsoz

27 schools (21 MD, 6 DO)

10 interviews (6 were MD)

Attended 4 (3MD, 1DO)

4 Acceptances

applied 5 MD + 1 DO

interviewed at 3 (2 MD/1 DO)

waitlisted at both MD, accepted to DO, accepted off waitlist off of 1 MD in June 2012 for C/O 2016.

applied to 20

interviewed at 7

3 acceptances and 3 waitlists

Members don't see this ad :)
This is quite the circle jerk of a thread. I hope that OP doesn't think that these interviews and acceptances are easy come easy go. Those of us with multiple acceptances worked our tails off to get there.

Applied to 10-15 BS/MD programs.
Got interviews at 3-4 of them
Got second interview at 2 places
Accepted at one school, a 7-year program. Actually liked the second interview at the other school better, and would've picked that if I had been accepted. Oh well, it was better than having to jump through the hoops again in college.

Applied to 20. Interviewed at 4. Accepted at 3 and waitlisted at 1.

7 primary 3 secondary 3 interview 3 acceptances, I got selective/lazy when it came to sending secondaries.

2, 1, 1....don't do it this way, too stressful!

1 app, 1 interview, 1 acceptance all within a period of 2 weeks

(applied early decision)

ton of applications

interviewed at 5 schools

accepted to 2 DO schools, 1 MD school , and 1 MD waitlist (withdrew early on...so that might have turned into an acceptance)

15 md apps
10 mdphd apps

7 md interviews
5 mdphd interviews

4 md acceptances 3 wait list
1 mstp acceptance 2 wait 2 reject post interview

5 MD apps, 3 MD interviews, 2 MD acceptances and 1 MD waitlist. God is good!!

10 Initial Apps
7 Secondaries
5 Interviews
2 Full acceptances, 1 Waitlist

All MD

2006 applicant:
GPA 3.92, MCAT 31(don't even know what current scales are, I took mine with paper and pencil:)
9 applied all MD, 3interviews(1 for waitlist spot), 2 acceptances (+1 waitlist)
since then EM residency

Last edited:
About 15 secondaries (MD only)
3 interviews
2 acceptances, 1 waitlist

This thread is really showing me how not-terrible the application process can be if your GPA doesn't suck. People really applied to <10 schools? Wow.

Mine:
Attempt 1: 34 apps, 1 interview, no acceptances.
Attempt 2: 32 apps, 3 interviews, 2 acceptances.

This thread is really showing me how not-terrible the application process can be if your GPA doesn't suck. People really applied to <10 schools? Wow.

Mine:
Attempt 1: 34 apps, 1 interview, no acceptances.
Attempt 2: 32 apps, 3 interviews, 2 acceptances.

That's too expensive for me. I figured if I couldn't get into my state school or maybe a couple safety schools, I wasn't going to get in anywhere. The other 6 or so were basically regional/lifestyle-based on the likelihood that my wife could work there since her job is somewhat specialized. I went in saying I wouldn't do more than 12 and stopped at 10. Should've really only done about 7 or 8 as at least 2 of them were long shots with my undergrad GPA.

15, 4, 1

I applied super late - just barely making deadlines. For the school i got accepted at I was at their 2nd to last interview date.

Hello (future and current) doctors,

I'm a newcomer here, so, my advance apology if this is the incorrect forum for my thread!

I have three questions:

Thank you.

1) Applied to 40+ schools (primary) but completed secondaries for 7 (due to an unexpected early acceptance (in Nov) I did not bother submitting secondaries for the other 30 schools that requested a secondary)

2) Six Interviews Offered (Attended Five)

3) Four Acceptances + One Waitlist

Last edited:

SDN is heavily skewed towards the top of the bell curve, IMO. I've known >100 pre-meds, both as friends and as fellow lab mates, and no one I know scored above a 34 on the MCAT, yet ever other poster on this site has a 35+. Before med school, I was a PhD candidate at Northwestern and our lab would have between 2 and 5 MD/PhD candidates rotate through our lab.

This thread is a perfect example of what response bias is.

Exactly. For every person who posted in this thread, there were another 15-20 applicants who applied to 20 and got into 0.

Applied- 27
Interviewed- 1 (and was only interview offer)
Accepted- 1

Have since matched in Plastics. Turns out that one school was the perfect one for me to do well.

So to anyone reading this concerned about "only" getting one acceptance, don't sweat it. It only takes one.

Reactions: 1 user
15 apps
4 interviews
1 acceptance, 3 waitlists (but withdrew after the first acceptance)

SDN is heavily skewed towards the top of the bell curve, IMO. I've known >100 pre-meds, both as friends and as fellow lab mates, and no one I know scored above a 34 on the MCAT, yet ever other poster on this site has a 35+. Before med school, I was a PhD candidate at Northwestern and our lab would have between 2 and 5 MD/PhD candidates rotate through our lab.

So skewed towards average?

bell_curve.gif

It's not just SDN. I worked in a lab before med school and the 4 people besides me who were applying to med school had MCAT scores of 33, 36, 36, and 40. The ones with 33 and 40 ended up doing MD/PhD. The others just went MD.

Applied to 7 medical schools; was a non-trad so only applied to schools I could drive to due to finances
Interviewed at 7
Accepted to 7

To clarify, I'm from TX and these were all TX schools

About 20, I was a non-traditional with a pretty terrible gpa and sgpa (3.3 and 3.0 respectively) so I wasn't expecting a lot of offers.

4, I went on 3 and declined one after being accepted the others.

How did you manage 3 acceptances with a 3.3/3.0? Im not trying to be degrading or anything, im assuming you had a stacked resume. Were they US MD?

Applied: 17 MD, 4 DO
Interviews: 6 MD, 3 DO (attended 5 MD)
Rejected Post-Interview: 1 MD
Wait listed Post-interview: 1 MD
Accepted: 3 MD

State school and unwilling to move until residency.

That's too expensive for me. I figured if I couldn't get into my state school or maybe a couple safety schools, I wasn't going to get in anywhere.

Depends on which state you're from. If you're from California or another state where your state school is actually competitive, or if you're from a state without a state school, then you wind up having to cast a wider net. If you're from Texas... you can probably get away with ONLY applying in-state if you like.

FWIW, 10/9/4. You can get some pretty good info info like this from mdapplicants.com, and stratify it according to GPA/MCAT and other information.

Moving to pre-allo.

Applied: 7 (Withdrew 3 after 1st acceptance)
Interviews Offered: 3
Interviews Attended: 2
Waitlist: 1
Acceptance: 1

Was extremely fortunate to get into my Alma Mater and top choice two months after applying.

I wish people will include their GPA & MCAT scores along with their responses.