How many new patients per week to sustain/ grow a practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CATS22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this may be an overly broad question. That being said this is a question for a single physician in an office based private practice (no mid-level help) that does both medication management and injections.

How many new patient visits per week are needed to sustain/ grow a practice? (specifically for a doc seeing 125-150 patients per week). I guess what I am asking is what should be the average % of new patients based on volume being seen?

In my experience there are numerous "types" of new patients: i.e. the patient with the radic that only needs 1 to 2 ESIs with PT and NSAIDs and then are gone, the legit medication management patient that you get on a stable regimen and are seen anywhere from one to three months, patients that come back every 3-6 months for a helpful injection (longer for RF..), drug seekers that get weeded out quickly and don't come back..... Basically, some patients are around longer than others and add to patient volume.
There is an obvious ebb and flow to these new patients and the % of what comes through the door. However, in general terms I was interested in what others experience with new patient's.

Thanks for your input

Members don't see this ad.

All depends on the referring docs.
I'd say 3-4 per day. In my area, one will be there for inappropriate narcotics and does not come back if not getting an Rx. 2 are for procedures, 1 is for eval and treat and may need procedures, meds, or PT (or all)