How many Ob/Gyn interviews are enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

familyfirst

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how many interviews are enough and/or is there a mininum # of programs that one person should rank in order to match in Ob/Gyn?? I have scheduled about 15 so far and don't feel like scheduling more and probably will cancel a few towards the end of the interview trial. But I am afraid to because I want to rank enough programs so I won't go unmatched. Any suggestions? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to community university and private institutions in 3 tiers. I would apply to 25 and accept 12 interviews to be safe. Unless your school has an OB residency and you've got a safely good shot of matching. Several people last yr who only ranked 8 were unmatched and there was notmuch to scramble for.... But truthfully I do not have a strong handle on how many people have applied OB this year.

Good luck

Thanks Ms. Evans for your reply.

One more question regarding those who didn't match last year. Do you know if they ranked all 1st tier programs or they spread out their choices in 3 tiers and still went unmatched??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
is it ok for us to start contacting schools in the same city where we have already received one interview to see if they could get back to us so we can try to make as few trips up as possible? if so, when should we start doing that? should we start asking now when it's 1.5-2 months before our interviews or wait to about 4 weeks since to wait much longer would increase the price of the plane ticket? trying to make this whole process as economical as possible!!!

calot:

I started contacting programs about interviews if I am going to be in the area. I don't think it can hurt really. It shows that you are interested in their program. I would say earlier rather than later.

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!:)