How many outstanding pre-reqs did you have at time of applying to PT programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NATO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I registered for my spring 2011 prereqs a few days ago. I'll be take Human Anatomy and Physiology parts 1 and 2 next semester. This leaves me with Chemistry parts 1 and 2 and Physics part 1 and 2 to complete all PT prereqs.

I will be registering on the PTCAS in July 2011 for the 2011-2012 cycle. I work full time (PT will be my 2nd career in life), so I can't knock all of these pre-reqs in a short amount of time. I'm debating on whether to take both parts of Chemistry for summer 2011 (part 1 and part 2 will be 6 weeks each). I really don't like taking 6 week courses, but I've done it before and, if need be, I'll do it again.

Game Plan 1:

Summer 2011: CHM part 1 (1st 6 weeks), CHM part 2 (2nd 6 weeks)
Fall 2011: PHY part 1
Spring 2012: PHY part 2

OR

Game Plan 2:

Summer 2011: CHM part 1 (10 weeks)
Fall 2011: PHY part 1, CHM part 2
Spring 2012: PHY part 2

I think game plan 2 would be easier in the sense that I can knock out most (if not all) my PT shadowing hours (100 hrs required for the programs I want to apply to) and take the GREs a 2nd time if need be. However, I feel like I would look "better" against the competition if I only had 2 outstanding prereqs left at the time that of applying to PT schools rather than 3 outstanding prereqs (all of these prereqs would be science classes...that's why I'm concerned). I've read some PT school websites that strongly recommend all prereqs be complete at the time of applicatin submission. I will be applying to VCU, ODU, and Shennadoah (in state schools)...and a couple of schools in Florida. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Much thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the midst of the application process for the 2010-2011 application cycle. I still have two outstanding prerequisites that I am finishing up this year(Chem I taking now and Chem II next semester). I have been invited to 4 interviews so far(applied to 10 schools), so the outstanding prerequisites haven't adversely affected me too much. Each program is different, but I know many programs prefer that you have no more than 3-4 outstanding prerequisite courses at the time you submit your application. I did contact one school and the admissions coordinator did tell that my application could be held up because of my outstanding prerequisites. This was only one program out of 10, so go figure.

I would contact each program you plan to apply to find out whether your outstanding pre-reqs will be an issue for you next cycle. Best of luck to you!

I personally like game plan #1 because, a) its awesome to knock out courses in shorter (yet more intense) summer terms, and b) taking Chem and Physics at the same time (which I'm doing now) over a full, long, never-ending 15-week semester, sucks :laugh:

Seriously though, I'm a decent student, but taking Chem and Physics at the same time while working full time has been a little stressful.

I wish I had had the option of taking Chem 1 and 2 over summer terms---I did with Trig, and though it was intense, it only lasted 5 weeks--quick and done with. If you did the summer Chems, you could concentrate solely on Physics the next two semesters and not be overwhelmed.

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you!!