How many people get emails from top 25 medical schools? Is it fairly common?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fneverforget

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it common to receive emails from top schools like Columbia, Vandy, etc? I am not a URM, I am Asian, and ever since I got my MCAT scores back the office of diversity at all these medical schools have been sending me emails. My MCAT score is not good enough for elite medical schools like Columbia, so I am retaking, but my question is do they send emails to anyone who got a 30+ on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

If you were not already planning on applying to these schools, don't change your mind because they sent you an email. Those are glorified spam.

Is it common to receive emails from top schools like Columbia, Vandy, etc? I am not a URM, I am Asian, and ever since I got my MCAT scores back the office of diversity at all these medical schools have been sending me emails. My MCAT score is not good enough for elite medical schools like Columbia, so I am retaking, but my question is do they send emails to anyone who got a 30+ on the MCAT?

Some schools, such as WashU, are notorious for spamming, but it's possible you are being specially solicited if you applied disadvantaged. As aSag said, though, getting an email should not be the sole basis on which you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
they may be spam, but i feel like a 5 star recruit when i get them. :cool:

I got snail mail from WashU St Louis, and my dad called me to tell me they accepted me cause he saw the letter. I told him I didn't even apply this cycle....

But yeah, I figured it's just spam. I'm going home this weekend to see what it really is though. I got stuff all the time from random schools in college, so don't take it as if they're legitimately interested in you. I figure there is a list and if people do better than X, then they get mail.

This is funny. I don't know if it's spam, but most of the emails I get seem to be from the diversity office. I guess seeing your MCAT score they want to encourage you to at least apply to increase their diversity numbers. I dunno, but I agree, it does feel good to get them, spam or not ;)

This is funny. I don't know if it's spam, but most of the emails I get seem to be from the diversity office. I guess seeing your MCAT score they want to encourage you to at least apply to increase their diversity numbers. I dunno, but I agree, it does feel good to get them, spam or not ;)

more like they just want your secondary application fee :laugh:

At least you're not getting Ross emails post MCAT, like me!!!

Part of the process to becoming a top 25 school is public relations. The more coveted you are as a program the more money comes in through secondary fees and word begins to spread.