how many people who get interviewed at least 5 schools get rejected from everywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many people who get interviewed at least 5 schools get rejected from everywhere? Assuming you're smart and have good interview skills? i've had 12 interview invites and have done 5 so far and i'm getting pretty tired of flying everywhere, because it's really expensive and getting downright unaffordable. I'm probably going to do 7 or 8 and then stop doing interviews unless I get invited to something super amazing or in-state. Is that reasonable? Ideally I'd go everywhere, but it's really getting unaffordable. There are absolutely no flags on my application except my mcat is less than the 10% percentile at most schools I interviewed at and some of the schools I interviewed at are pretty high ranked, so idk what to expect. I'm horrified about getting waitlist or rejected from everywhere since this process already costs more than an arm and a leg in terms of time and money. Thoughts? Two schools I interviewed at are going to let me know on october 15th.

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT is less than the 10th percentile at the schools your getting interviewed at, I'm guessing the interview is more important for you than other applicants. I assume there is something especially appealing in your app that makes up for the MCAT, but you could still be scrutinized more closely than others at your interview or down the line at a committee meeting.
How many schools did you apply to? I'd recommend scheduling interviews for after 10/15, and cancelling as necessary if you get acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
If your MCAT is less than the 10th percentile at the schools your getting interviewed at, I'm guessing the interview is more important for you than other applicants. I assume there is something especially appealing in your app that makes up for the MCAT, but you could still be scrutinized more closely than others at your interview or down the line at a committee meeting.
How many schools did you apply to? I'd recommend scheduling interviews for after 10/15, and cancelling as necessary if you get acceptances.

Thanks for your response :) i applied to 40 (way too expensive). all of my interviews were nice and conversational and seemed to go really well/enjoyable (no awkward silences) except for one interview where the guy just was in a bad mood and jaded in general. Even the interviews I assumed were totally open file I was never questioned about my mcat or badgered at all, which surprised me. I'm surprised at all the interviews I've gotten give my mcat, but I have some really unique ECs, strong LORs, and well-articulated essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I also feel tired and poor, but I've basically decided that I am going to every interview until I get an acceptance. Once I have an acceptance, I may withdraw from a few that I scheduled a bit later in the season (and that I would not attend over whatever--if any--acceptances are in hand). I'd wait to withdraw until you know that someone wants you. It seems dangerous to withdraw now. So many people get rejected post interview and this whole thing is such a crapshoot.

Reactions: 6 users
There is no safe number of interviews. Go to every interview until you have an acceptance in hand.

Extra flights are a lot cheaper than a second application cycle.

Reactions: 9 users
I know that feel OP. I have 11 interviews currently (thankfully only have to fly to 2, but those 2 alone are gonna run me $900.00). I am really starting to have trouble affording them but thankfully moved 2 of them out to December and January. I would advise you do the same with 2-3 that you are less interested in, so that you can hopefully cancel once you get a acceptance. I would accept all interviews until you have a acceptance though.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not a random process, so you can't say that there's a k value that allows for success after X interviews. And you can't compare yourself to other interviewees. You're the only one you need to be considering. If you bomb your interviews, you'll be rejected.

how many people who get interviewed at least 5 schools get rejected from everywhere? Assuming you're smart and have good interview skills? i've had 12 interview invites and have done 5 so far and i'm getting pretty tired of flying everywhere, because it's really expensive and getting downright unaffordable. I'm probably going to do 7 or 8 and then stop doing interviews unless I get invited to something super amazing or in-state. Is that reasonable? Ideally I'd go everywhere, but it's really getting unaffordable. There are absolutely no flags on my application except my mcat is less than the 10% percentile at most schools I interviewed at and some of the schools I interviewed at are pretty high ranked, so idk what to expect. I'm horrified about getting waitlist or rejected from everywhere since this process already costs more than an arm and a leg in terms of time and money. Thoughts? Two schools I interviewed at are going to let me know on october 15th.

It's not a random process, so you can't say that there's a k value that allows for success after X interviews. And you can't compare yourself to other interviewees. You're the only one you need to be considering. If you bomb your interviews, you'll be rejected.

what if I didn't bomb the interviews though? I also see a very similar group of people and people I recognize from pretty much every interview i've attended in my groups, which doesn't seem random at all and really makes me wonder if i'm just part of a rather small selected pool of applicants that med schools keep picking.

Last edited:
Then you should be fine.

But avoid the sin of solipsism.

what if I didn't bomb the interviews you though? I also see a very similar group of people and people I recognize from pretty much every interview i've attended in my groups, which doesn't seem random at all and really makes me wonder if i'm just part of a rather small selected pool of applicants that med schools keep picking.

Are any of the schools you interviewed at releasing decisions on october 15th? If so, you might just get an 'out' soon.

Are any of the schools you interviewed at releasing decisions on october 15th? If so, you might just get an 'out' soon.

yes two of the schools are releasing decisions on october 15th. how does that change things up?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes two of the schools are releasing decisions on october 15th. how does that change things up?

If you get in at one or both of those schools, you can start saying no to all the schools you personally rank below that one. It allows you to be more selective with your interviews.

Good luck.

So I also feel tired and poor, but I've basically decided that I am going to every interview until I get an acceptance. Once I have an acceptance, I may withdraw from a few that I scheduled a bit later in the season (and that I would not attend over whatever--if any--acceptances are in hand). I'd wait to withdraw until you know that someone wants you. It seems dangerous to withdraw now. So many people get rejected post interview and this whole thing is such a crapshoot.

+1

Go to all of the interviews until you have an acceptance; after that, only go if it's your dream school. Schools are used to this, and it's usually no big deal to them. I did it that way, and there didn't seem to be any hard feelings, especially from out-of-state schools.

Postpone the less-desirable interviews until early November. That way, you can cancel them if you get an acceptance Oct 15, or go if you're still in limbo. Either way - you're not in until you've been accepted. Though your chances seem mighty good...

Postpone the less-desirable interviews until early November. That way, you can cancel them if you get an acceptance Oct 15, or go if you're still in limbo. Either way - you're not in until you've been accepted. Though your chances seem mighty good...

I know that feel OP. I have 11 interviews currently (thankfully only have to fly to 2, but those 2 alone are gonna run me $900.00). I am really starting to have trouble affording them but thankfully moved 2 of them out to December and January. I would advise you do the same with 2-3 that you are less interested in, so that you can hopefully cancel once you get a acceptance. I would accept all interviews until you have a acceptance though.

thank you i just started scheduling less desirable interviews i hadnt have scheduled for october 20th and beyond :). this is awesome and life-saving advice.

I got another question, what does it mean that none of the interviewers have asked me about my mcat score even if they were open file? I expected to have to defend my score. Is it a bad thing that they didnt ask?

I got another question, what does it mean that none of the interviewers have asked me about my mcat score even if they were open file? I expected to have to defend my score. Is it a bad thing that they didnt ask?

All of my "open" interviews have been numbers blind, they have all your activities and letters, but the committee believes that if you're sitting in an interview your academic coursework is adequate enough that it does not merit question.

What is a less than stellar MCAT score (like <30)? Or one more like it was well below the school's median?

Was your MCAT very divergent from your GPA (like 4.0/3.0 with a 30)? Not everyone asks about numbers, unless there's something that stands out. So no, it's not a bad thing they didn't ask.

What is a less than stellar MCAT score (like <30)? Or one more like it was well below the school's median?

Was your MCAT very divergent from your GPA (like 4.0/3.0 with a 30)? Not everyone asks about numbers, unless there's something that stands out. So no, it's not a bad thing they didn't ask.

my mcat score is a little less than 30. my gpa is a good gpa.

Everybody is complaining about having too many interviews, meanwhile I'm just like:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1411174909.283741.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 21 users
I had a good MCAT score and every open file interviewer (who could see the >90th percentile score) asked me, "How did you study/prepare for your MCAT?" No one asked me about my lack of formal research experience. I think it's really up to the individual interviewers what they will ask you. I'm also gonna echo everyone's statements of "Go to every interview you scheduled until you get that acceptance email/call."

Going on those interviews will be cheaper than not getting an acceptance and having to reapply. And you never know if a school will be giving you a nice scholarship

how many people who get interviewed at least 5 schools get rejected from everywhere?
17 people who get interviewed at at least 5 schools get rejected from everywhere.

@Goro - any thoughts on the fact my mcat score is lower than a 30 and how this changes things up at all? thanks in advance.

You would be crazy to not go on interviews if you don't have an acceptance in hand. Push out the less desirable ones and go on ALL until you have an acceptance. Not only will another application cycle cost you thousands more (plus, as a re-applicant you'll be more than willing to fly everywhere), but it'll likely be harder for you to get interviews again at schools that invite you for an interview and you decline.

Until you have an acceptance in hand, don't turn down interviews. As soon as you have one, you can turn down all.

Ordinarily, an MCAT <30 makes one less competitive (the national median being 31), and it's even harder for a Canadian, since US schools admit very few international applicants.

But yet you have lots of interviews!

You stated that you have something analogous to what I call a "compelling story", and that made Admissions deans all over the country say "we've got to invite this kid!"

So now at this point, let's assume that your interviews went well.

The Adcom decisions could go like this:
1) "Nice kid, but I'm really worried about the low MCAT score" and onto the wait list you go

OR

2) "Despite the low MCAT, this is someone we HAVE to accept!"

So keep in mind that SOMEBODY gets accepted with numbers <10th %ile, so why not you???

Do you care to share what is the compelling story? PM me if you want.

@Goro - any thoughts on the fact my mcat score is lower than a 30 and how this changes things up at all? thanks in advance.