How many per block can you miss and get a 240? Guesstimation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many questions per block of 46 do you think you can miss, on average, and still pull more than a 240? I know there is no exact answer out there, and it probably depends on the questions that you draw, but it still seems like there should be some sort of approximate guess.

I think you could maybe miss 6 (87%) and still achieve that. Possibly 7 (84%). For some reason I see the boards scoring in between UWorld and NBME practice exams.

On a side note, anybody have any tips on calming down, especially on test day? I am super stressed out for this exam, and can see it negatively affecting my performance come test day when I sit down and my mind starts swirling.

Members don't see this ad.

I think, as you said, it depends a lot on the difficulty of the questions you miss. Who knows what kind of algorithm they use. I wouldn't worry about the number of questions you can miss and just focus on the exam. You will likely score somewhere near where your NBME and USMLE World SA are predicting you will score.

I'm mainly worried about calming down the night before the exam. I have the hardest time falling asleep even on normal nights.

I think, as you said, it depends a lot on the difficulty of the questions you miss. Who knows what kind of algorithm they use. I wouldn't worry about the number of questions you can miss and just focus on the exam. You will likely score somewhere near where your NBME and USMLE World SA are predicting you will score.

I'm mainly worried about calming down the night before the exam. I have the hardest time falling asleep even on normal nights.

I am on the same both with you guys. I have a hard time falling asleep these days, and ive been getting panic attacks+ had an acute asthma attack two weeks ago. my exam is in 3 1/2 weeks..ahh

How many questions per block of 46 do you think you can miss, on average, and still pull more than a 240? I know there is no exact answer out there, and it probably depends on the questions that you draw, but it still seems like there should be some sort of approximate guess.

I think you could maybe miss 6 (87%) and still achieve that. Possibly 7 (84%). For some reason I see the boards scoring in between UWorld and NBME practice exams.

this is a really tough question to answer, as mentioned above the exact algorithm is not known.
questions might be graded, like rly hard question 1.4 and rly easy question 0.6. if you miss 10 easy questions that would equate to 3-4 missed difficult question. but then again, why would u miss the rly easy one, obviously your nerves.
anywho, my take on this is that no one can answer this question, only NBME guys with the grading infront of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am on the same both with you guys. I have a hard time falling asleep these days, and ive been getting panic attacks+ had an acute asthma attack two weeks ago. my exam is in 3 1/2 weeks..ahh

Sorry to take this thread a little off-track, but I'm having some panic issue too -- AND I have asthma too that gets worse when I'm stressed :( I'm only a week away from the exam, and I keep thinking of the little details I don't know. I'm finally doing a little better in UW than usual, and am almost finished with it, but I'm worried about the little details everywhere. Like Biochem :( I think it's humanly impossible to remember all that amount of detail!!

Anyway, sorry for the change of topic... I have no idea how many you could possibly miss, depends on the draw of questions you get, right?

first of all, try to relax on thing biochem--it's way easier on the real thing than it is on UW. high yield points are on moleucular bio, genetic diseases, and laboratory techniques. metabolism is definitely low yield in my opinion.

and also realize that you cannot possibly know everything, and the exam writers realize this--the questions typically have multiple clues and are certainly answerable. maybe not for every question, but for those we're all in the same boat.

as for relaxing on exam day, my advice is to take your breaks. bring snack food (almonds are great!) and go outside for 5 minutes or so.

i've been watching the karate kid trailer and having jackie chan's voice in the background tell me "LIFE IS KUNG FU."

seriously, a buddhist zen like approach is the way to go