How many prerequisites incomplete when applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CockerelOnTop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have heard there is a 90% completion rule on prerequisites when applying to Texas schools but cannot find this anywhere. Anyone ever heard of a standard of how many prerequisites are required/expected before application (not just Texas)? This is aside from logical "take them all for MCAT prep" questions. How many of you lacked prerequisites when applying and were successful? If so, how many? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not planning to apply until after I have completed all prerequisites except for Biochem (which isn't required everywhere). As a nontrad, I figure probably better safe than sorry. I might feel differently about it if I had a hard science degree, which I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I've known people needing biochem and even org 2 in progress get interviews but org 1 & 2 both missing? You'd have to nail the MCAT. When are you taking that?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Orgo labs : ).

Well the question is irrelevant for me now. I am lacking biochem and physics 2. BUT the Army had different plans, got orders today. Pushing my application back a year, so I will have everything done anyway. Thanks for the input.

Ooppss :) still the key is the MCAT, when?

I have had a long battle with the MCAT. It'll be this May, unless a catastrophe happens. I'm well aware of what's on it.

I have had a long battle with the MCAT. It'll be this May, unless a catastrophe happens. I'm well aware of what's on it.
Best of luck, a really good MCAT can overcome a negative elsewhere. Biochem was a massive portion of science on mine, even the nonbiochem problems were often related to things you see in biochem.

Well the question is irrelevant for me now. I am lacking biochem and physics 2. BUT the Army had different plans, got orders today. Pushing my application back a year, so I will have everything done anyway. Thanks for the input.
Be safe, and thx for your service.

Reactions: 1 user
To be honest the places you apply to will prefer seeing everything done, and the prereqs come in handy for the MCAT anyhow.

Reactions: 1 users
Orgo 1 is probably the biggest weeder course there is. The course is a freaking circus of concepts. Leaving it off would be a huge red flag.

The MCAT also fairly heavily tests content from Orgo 1. It's true there's not much orgo on the newer MCAT but it's almost all from the first course.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have heard there is a 90% completion rule on prerequisites when applying to Texas schools but cannot find this anywhere. Anyone ever heard of a standard of how many prerequisites are required/expected before application (not just Texas)? This is aside from logical "take them all for MCAT prep" questions. How many of you lacked prerequisites when applying and were successful? If so, how many? Thank you.
Are you sure it's not 90 hours? 90% of a 120 hour degree means you won't get done until senior year. Then you'd have to take a gap year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure it's not 90 hours? 90% of a 120 hour degree means you won't get done until senior year. Then you'd have to take a gap year.

I was told 90% of pre-reqs, not 90% of the degree. I emailed TMDSAS and did not yet get a response. I was just curious if there were others who applied missing 2 or more pre-reqs and were successful. But again, I am having to push my application a year, so I will have all of mine complete :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 10.26.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 10.26.07 PM.png
    373.7 KB · Views: 29
My first choice doesn't require Biochem, although it prefers for applicants to have taken it. I was planning to take two semesters during a gap year. Or will it be a glide year? I get the terminology confused. I plan to take it after taking the MCAT and applying. Or at least that WAS my plan, because I thought the new MCAT was light on Biochem, but some stuff I've read more recently seems to indicate that Biochem is basically a necessity if you don't plan to completely bomb the MCAT. So, idk. I may have to push application back another year.

My first choice doesn't require Biochem, although it prefers for applicants to have taken it. I was planning to take two semesters during a gap year. Or will it be a glide year? I get the terminology confused. I plan to take it after taking the MCAT and applying. Or at least that WAS my plan, because I thought the new MCAT was light on Biochem, but some stuff I've read more recently seems to indicate that Biochem is basically a necessity if you don't plan to completely bomb the MCAT. So, idk. I may have to push application back another year.

The new MCAT is MASSIVELY heavy on Biochem, or at least mine was (previous one wasn't) You can get by without it but you will need to devote a ton of time studying it. Just having it will also significantly help on the rest of the science as well. I can't say much because of the test agreement, but a lot of the biochem processes and "chemical structures" used in biochem were chosen for use in other non-biochem subject areas. With biochem and knowing some of the structures and reactions like the back of your hand (those you see a lot) can mean going, oohh that is a _____ reaction and it does ______ when exposed to _________. Some of it I roughly remembered seeing from biochem intro in Org 2 at the end.

Because of work only had a month and a half to study. I didn't have it and my score in that area suffered and pulled down my percentiles. As far as the application goes, you can apply without it and at least last year most of the DO schools didn't require it. I've heard several are changing that for the coming year. Something to weigh in your decision.

I just took the MCAT on April 1st. Take Biochem beforehand. I'm not sure who is giving advice that biochem can be put off, lol, they are wrong. You need to be able to understand nuanced stuff that you will get from a formal class and not from some study book that is more akin to review material.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, this definitely sets me back by a full year, then. Gotta take Orgo 1 & 2 (taking 1 in the fall) before I can start Biochem, so I guess I'll be applying in 2018 instead of 2017. Bummer.

Well, this definitely sets me back by a full year, then. Gotta take Orgo 1 & 2 (taking 1 in the fall) before I can start Biochem, so I guess I'll be applying in 2018 instead of 2017. Bummer.

Depends on other factors as well...Are you going MD or DO? As time grows closer: look at your sgpa, cgpa, EC's, LOR's, shadowing, etc and do some practice MCATs and see where you score. You potentially could have your application complete and verified except for biochem and MCAT. Then do biochem in the summer and take the MCAT in July or early August, so you would be applying early Sept. That would be on time for DO's (ok if your scores are good) and some MD's.

Only you know how fast/well you learn, but don't apply until you are ready and don't rush things and end up with C's in Orgs and Biochem. If you do biochem in the summer see if you can do it w/o a lab unless a school you love requires it.

Best of Luck

That would be a good option, and I had considered it, but my post-bac school only offered Biochem 1 in fall and Biochem 2 in spring. I wonder if I could get a waiver or something to take them at the same time as Orgo 1 and 2, even though the Orgo sequence is a prerequisite.

That would be a good option, and I had considered it, but my post-bac school only offered Biochem 1 in fall and Biochem 2 in spring. I wonder if I could get a waiver or something to take them at the same time as Orgo 1 and 2, even though the Orgo sequence is a prerequisite.

You need at least org 1 for biochem

So, change in plans. Orgo II used to be a pre-req to Biochem I at my school, but I just got off the phone with the department head, who said that requirement is going away for this fall. So, I'm going to take Orgo I (and Statistics) this summer. Then, Orgo II, Biochem I, and Gen. Bio I in the fall. Then Biochem II and Gen Bio II in the Spring. Assuming my brain doesn't explode by then, I'll be on track to take the MCAT and apply next summer. It just means I'm going to have to give myself a 2-month Khan Academy crash course in Gen Chem, since it's been such a long time since I took it.

So, change in plans. Orgo II used to be a pre-req to Biochem I at my school, but I just got off the phone with the department head, who said that requirement is going away for this fall. So, I'm going to take Orgo I (and Statistics) this summer. Then, Orgo II, Biochem I, and Gen. Bio I in the fall. Then Biochem II and Gen Bio II in the Spring. Assuming my brain doesn't explode by then, I'll be on track to take the MCAT and apply next summer. It just means I'm going to have to give myself a 2-month Khan Academy crash course in Gen Chem, since it's been such a long time since I took it.
Check out crackochem Not sure is taking biochem 2 is that needed, might explore that.

The Dean of Admissions at my first choice med school mentioned that he had heard from students that there was a lot of Biochem 2 content on the MCAT. Metabolism, protein synthesis, that kind of stuff. So I figured I'd better take advantage of having an available semester in which to take it. If it cuts down on the amount of extra MCAT study time I need, I'll count it as a win.

The Dean of Admissions at my first choice med school mentioned that he had heard from students that there was a lot of Biochem 2 content on the MCAT. Metabolism, protein synthesis, that kind of stuff. So I figured I'd better take advantage of having an available semester in which to take it. If it cuts down on the amount of extra MCAT study time I need, I'll count it as a win.

Not sure... but here is what will tell you from the horses mouth. :)

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/whats-mcat-exam/