How many procedures at graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

:hunter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many colons and EGDs do most fellows graduate with?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your fellowship setting. My large academic center friends get done with 800-1000 or so. I've heard from people who are in strict community based settings getting done with 1500. I think it's fair to say it's 40-50% EGDs and 60-50% Colons.

I finished with about 1600 procedures at my university-based program.

It depends there are some programs that do a lot others don't do as much. Really depends on what your goals are. I am at University based program, finished my first year with around 1000 procedures. Hopefully will finish with >2000 by the end of graduation including ERCPs. 50-60% colons, 30-40% EGD the remainder is ERCPs. We don't do EUS :(. There are some places that only do a couple of 100 but the fellows there don't mind as they are mostly research geared. To be honest with you I don't think theres much of a difference between me and someone who has done 400 or 500. Once you hit a good 400-500 cases you are good to go. This is a good question to ask on interviews for GI