Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

How many programs to apply to?

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by fourthyear, 09.23.02.

1. fourthyear

fourthyear Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    How many programs should a general surgery applicant be applying to? I know this varies based on competetiveness of program, but any general guidlines?

I'm an "average" applicant - solid but not top-of-the class grades, below national avg step 1 score (hoping for higher step2), lot of extracirriculars and some, but not lots, of research experience - only 1 publication.

Any comments appreciated, thanks.
  2. carddr

carddr Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Applied to 20 programs...took 3 interviews and ranked all 3, and accepted top choice, which was my last interview but did consider all three as fitting the bill for me.
  3. droliver

droliver Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I would reccomend 20-30 applications (unless you have some kind of unbreakable ties to one area for personal reasons). I would also try to interview as many places as you can comfortably do. Only doing 3 or so interviews could really come back & bite you
  4. carddr

carddr Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Concur with droliver's advice... I was interviewing other specialties as well, like ortho, so had to give some consideration to other interviews. Have heard some folks do around 12 interviews.
  5. droliver

droliver Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I think most people schedule 10-15 interviews, some of which you might cancel as you get near the end - you really get mentally fried & tired from the travel after a while. If you doing the east-west commutes too it can get very expensive & hard to coordinate your trips to do multiple interviews on a given trip
  6. dr.evil

dr.evil Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    I applied to around 25, luckily got interviews to all of them, and interviewed at 8 places. I ranked 7 of them. After interview #5, I was tired of interviewing.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal