How many required ED shifts do you have to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atethesun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is it possible that some schools require 8 8hr shifts while some schools require 16 8-10hr shifts?

Members don't see this ad.

How is it possible that some schools require 8 8hr shifts while some schools require 16 8-10hr shifts?
It's probably more about the individual sites than the schools requirements.
I did 12 hr shifts, 5 days/week for 5 weeks at my required em rotation while some of my classmates did 8 hr shifts 4-5 days/week x 5 weeks at other sites.
my peds em elective was 10 hr shifts, 5 days/week x 5 weeks.
my community em selective was 10 hr shifts 5 days/week x 12 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
On my away I did 10-12hr shifts (120 hrs) and on my home rotation I did 20-9hr shifts (180 hrs). Both were 4 week rotations.

Piccu127 said:
we do 8 14 hour shifts over a month plus a ton of didactics. when you take the shifts is up to you.

8 14s is a weird configuration (and the most hours/shift I've heard of, med school- or residency-wise). Do you mean 14 8s, which would be more normal?

8 14s is a weird configuration (and the most hours/shift I've heard of, med school- or residency-wise). Do you mean 14 8s, which would be more normal?

On my trauma surg rotation we did alternating 24 and 12 hr days for 5 weeks. > 100 hrs/week.

i don't think we have any required ED shifts...i didn't know this was standard at schools? is this third year or 4th?

On my trauma surg rotation we did alternating 24 and 12 hr days for 5 weeks. > 100 hrs/week.

ED shifts != trauma surgery. I'm talking about standard shifts on ED rotations. Interviewing across the country in EM, I've yet to see a standard shift over 12 hours.

We don't have a required ER rotation- we have 1 night that we do 6 hours in the ER and basically spend the time doing procedures with the trauma nurses.

I'm planning to do a Peds EM rotation because we don't get much experience with triage here.

20 12hr shifts over 4 weeks with didactic stuff on the side that you have to come in for regardless (prolly the worst part). A lot depends on the nature of the work I think. I don't really mind doing the hours because they let me do a lot of technical stuff I still need practice with like central lines, etc.

UMC in vegas is 16 shifts 12 hr long mix of nights and dedicated trauma from EM perspective and wed 8-1 didactics. Do we have a winner?

Our school is 14 8 hour shifts plus a 6 hour EMS ride along. Rumor has it that if you request it, you can do your EMS shift with the helicopter crew... pretty sweet.

The clerkship is a month long, but most people front load their shifts and are done in ~2 weeks. After two 100 hour weeks at the end of my surgery rotation, 5 day weeks of 7am-3pm is AMAZING!

Our school is 14 8 hour shifts plus a 6 hour EMS ride along. Rumor has it that if you request it, you can do your EMS shift with the helicopter crew... pretty sweet.

The clerkship is a month long, but most people front load their shifts and are done in ~2 weeks. After two 100 hour weeks at the end of my surgery rotation, 5 day weeks of 7am-3pm is AMAZING!

14 8 hour shifts equals working two weeks in a regular 9-5 Job and then having two weeks off. I'm not sure how that makes it a long clerkship, am I missing something here?

14 8 hour shifts equals working two weeks in a regular 9-5 Job and then having two weeks off. I'm not sure how that makes it a long clerkship, am I missing something here?

Yes you are. I said a "month long" as in it is 1 month in duration. I didn't call it a long month.

shift work is more taxing though

This is what I found out.

At my school, there are 4 sites for ED. At first I thought we have the same number of shifts for all 4 sites.... Wel....
I got shafted and ended up with the 16 8hr shift over 4 weeks
Some lucky ones got the 8 8hr shift over 4 weeks.

NOOOOOOOT fair

I did 3 EM rotations at various institutions.

-13 eight hour shifts + 1 four hour teaching session + 1 three hour poison control center visit
-11 twelve hour shifts + 1 two hour didactic session
-whatever combination of shifts that totaled 120 hours for the month + weekly 4 hour lecture day + weekly 4 hour grand rounds day + 2 three hour sim sessions