How many schools are you waiting to hear back from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to see how many schools you guys are waiting to hear back from vs the number you applied to?

I applied to 30 schools:
2 II
3 Holds
2 Rejections

Silence from 23 schools! Even when I get a rejection I'm glad that I'm at least getting SOME news.

Are you guys in a similar spot? No word from 75% of the schools you applied to? (I have a very middle of the road LizzyM, 68-69)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, just wanted to see how many schools you guys are waiting to hear back from vs the number you applied to?

I applied to 30 schools:
2 II
3 Holds
2 Rejections

Silence from 23 schools! Even when I get a rejection I'm glad that I'm at least getting SOME news.

Are you guys in a similar spot? No word from 75% of the schools you applied to? (I have a very middle of the road LizzyM, 68-69)

I'm still waiting on 19 :/

23 apps, 6 II, 3 holds, 1 rejection

Members don't see this ad :)
19 apps/1 Hold/1 Rejection/0 II

17 awaiting response

Still early so most of us haven't heard from majority of the schools. I haven't even been completed at 2 of the show I submitted my primary to over a month ago. I am more interested In hearing from schools I expect to show me love or look my way.The reaches are all rejections in my mind so not really waiting on them to get back to me so anything else from them is gravy.

Are your fingers still bleeding from typing out all those essays?
I think my wallet bled more than my fingers. But as long as my heart doesn't bleed by the end of it, it will be alllll worth it.

Reactions: 5 users
Waiting for a response from 17 schools still!

Applied 22 schools - 2 rejections, 1 II - still waiting on 19 schools

Reactions: 1 users
Huh ok I'm waiting on 8 schools and I thought that was bad. Applied to 17 schools with 6 II / 3 rejects so far.

Applied to 14 still waiting to hear from 8 of them - 5 II, 1R

Applied to 18. 3 II, 1R, 14 silence. Feelsbadman

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to 7 schools, 4 II, 1 hold, 2 silent.

I think the stuff Goro always says about superstars is totally right though. Had a friend apply to 17 schools, by early september, he had gotten interviews to every single one of them.

LizzyM~68-69, relatively lower GPA/higher MCAT.
Last year: 23 schools, complete in August. Rejections started in October but picked up steam in the new year. No II's.
This year: 24 schools, complete in August. Current tally: 4 II's, 1 rejection, 19 in silence. Sooo... still silence from 80% of the schools.

For the lurkers: It's early still, and if you don't have an II, just hang tight. I think these tally's are a poor representation of the general student, since those fortunate are more likely to post (versus the rest), and it's SDN. For example, currently 300 people have viewed this thread, and only ~15 have posted. This process can suck, but hang in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I feel like being middle of the road as an applicant is when you have the longest wait. Superstars get immediate interviews, low stats get fast rejections. Seems that way at least

15 applications/2II/0R/13 silence

18 silent out of 26 applications, all complete between late June and mid July.

How do people know if they've been rejected? I haven't heard back from almost all of them after Secondary. How can you tell if you've been silently rejected?

Waiting to hear back from 44 schools. Finished everything in July. Two interviews though FWIW.

How do people know if they've been rejected? I haven't heard back from almost all of them after Secondary. How can you tell if you've been silently rejected?

That's kind of the point of this thread. Waiting to know if it's a silent rejection or not. I wish they would reject up front if there was no chance of you being interviewed

LizzyM ~74.

30 Apps, 2II (only for IS, no OOS), 2 Rejections (OOS)

2 OOS rejections, no IS rejections, silent 11

21 total, 2 holds, 1 rejection. 0 II. Complete late July-early August. Meh.

22 schools, 2 rejections, 2 IIs, haven't heard back from 18.

27 total
waiting to hear from 22
4 rejections
all complete on my end by first week of august or sooner

All secondaries completed around mid-JULY:
18 secondaries
0 II
2 Holds
1 Reject
Waiting to hear back from 15 schools still!!!!!!!

cmon adcoms, reject me already if you don't think I am qualified enough! DONT LEAVE ME HANGING!

28 apps, 6 II, 1 hold, waiting to hear from 21

I'm waiting to hear from 13- but it's still early days, everybody. And we only need to hear back from one!

22 apps. 5 II/ no holds/ no rejections

Just a quiet 17 sitting...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

30 schools, 4 II all at the end of August, 2 rejections, waiting on 24

I received my IIs and rejections way early, around late August-early September, and it has been silence since then. No IIs, no rejections, no news at all for over a month. Most of the time I try not to think about it

Completed by last week in August
11 apps
1 rejection pre-secondary (Vandy)
10 silent

There will likely be a number of schools that will not contact you until late spring/early summer next year with rejections and will be silent till then. It is impossible to know what the schools are thinking about your application, and honestly they have no incentive to increase their transparency, which is a frustrating reality. It may be helpful to keep in mind that regardless of how many schools you have heard back at this point, nothing is finished until April-August next year. Sit tight and do other things with your energy than worrying, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Applied to 7 schools, 4 II, 1 hold, 2 silent.

I think the stuff Goro always says about superstars is totally right though. Had a friend apply to 17 schools, by early september, he had gotten interviews to every single one of them.

What does @Goro say about superstars? My legit superstar friend (Ivy league, Fulbright scholar, published in Lancet and Nature) applied to 22 schools, and has II at 21.

Me: 27 secondaries. 10 II. 2 holds. 1 rejection. Silence from 14.

1 interview -> waitlist
3 rejections pre-II
silence from 17

What does @Goro say about superstars? My legit superstar friend (Ivy league, Fulbright scholar, published in Lancet and Nature) applied to 22 schools, and has II at 21.

That app review is not ordered chronologically, superstars get interviews first. Which is kind of intuitive, but people still worry when people who submitted afterwards are hearing first. Either way, it’s still funny to see examples of people like that where the rule is so so true.

You're a superstar too

Your data is very similar to mine

Let's be honest though anyone who applies and is brave enough to be judged is a superstar

Personally I'm expecting silences to be mostly rejects because I applied early, maybe 1 or 2 II later on after all the secondaries get in

You're a superstar too

Your data is very similar to mine

Let's be honest though anyone who applies and is brave enough to be judged is a superstar
By that definition 30'000 superstars don't get a single acceptance.

1 II
2 rejections
Silence from 18

Twins

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think we have similar stats too from what I can tell by your other postings. Here's to hoping they just haven't gotten to us yet!