How many schools in total?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many schools did you apply to? Do you think 25 is too many?

Members don't see this ad.

6 AMCAS, 3 (and possibly 4) non and one Osteopathic. I could not afford more. If you can afford 25 be a good samaritan apply to 20 and help me with 2 of mine :) ....

Dr.Perez

8 AMCAS schools. No others.

I don't think 25 is too many, but I think 8 schools fits me well. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
27 AMCAS, 1 non-AMCAS, 2 Canadian = 30 total :)

14 AMCAS MD/PhD Programs
12 AMCAS MD programs
5 Texas MD programs

= 31 total schools

26 Amcas + the 2 NYers= :oops:

1 Acceptance= :)

Wow. I was really focused on one school. I applied to 3 AMCAS, received the acceptance at the one I wanted and did not return the secondaries for the other two. I wish all of you could be so fortunate, minimal waiting, etc. Just remember, your fingernails will grow back with time...

I couldn't really justify a greater expense, but I was pretty confident that my chances were good at that school.

Good luck, and happy spending!

17 AMCAS
2 non-AMCAS

If I mess up August MCAT, I will be withdrawing at least 10 applications.

13 AMCAS schools.

Laugh now...
36 AMCAS
1 NonAMCAS

30 AMCAS
1 non-AMCAS

That makes 31.

15 AMCAS

If August MCAT goes superb ( ;) ), then more.

Originally posted by Jamier2:
•8 AMCAS schools. No others.

I don't think 25 is too many, but I think 8 schools fits me well. :)

Me too.
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
6 AMCAS, 1 non-AMCAS.

Only applied to schools that I would be happy at. No point applying somewhere just to get in and not even seriously consider going there.

15 amcas, and that's it, as long as you can afford the time and $, the sky is the limit, someone posted 48 once which is the most I've ever seen

Originally posted by pre-hawkdoc:
•Me too.

Only Aoshi is in the 7-8 school range with us so far. I'm glad, because I was starting to think I was some sort of application slacker. ;)

•Only Aoshi is in the 7-8 school range with us so far. I'm glad, because I was starting to think I was some sort of application slacker. ;)

I'm really starting to dread all the $$$ I'm going to have to put up in this process.

If accepted, I would go to any one of the 31 schools on my list, but of course I have preferences.

Lets see, $900 for AMCAS, probably $1000 for secondaries, $1500 for interview costs (provided things go well)

Can I just donate blood and plasma as often as they will let me until I'm about to collapse to get extra money? :D

Originally posted by baylor21:
•Can I just donate blood and plasma as often as they will let me until I'm about to collapse to get extra money? :D

If I were in your shoes, I'd give it a shot. ;)

* I make no claims as to my pun skills. I know this one is very bad, so nobody needs to bring this to my attention.

Originally posted by baylor21:
•Lets see, $900 for AMCAS, probably $1000 for secondaries, $1500 for interview costs (provided things go well)

Wow, only $1500 for interview costs for 31 applications?! I am thinking at least 2 grand for the 11 I applied to, maybe more.

I applied to 10 schools, all through AMCAS. I just don't have the endurance (or cash-flow) to apply to more. I think my number of schools is on the low end of realistic (unless you have killer stats or some other "shoo-in" factor). Of course, it only takes one acceptance, so...

13 AMCAS schools with a good range in average MCATs and GPAs (I have a very strong number for one, while the other is subpar). I chose my schools very carefully and will be thrilled to go to any of them.

•Only Aoshi is in the 7-8 school range with us so far. I'm glad, because I was starting to think I was some sort of application slacker. ;)

Yeah, jamie--like Aoshi, I only applied to schools that I seriously would consider attending. Maybe it's because I'm a first-timer, but at this point in my life, I'm not buying in to the "safety school" philosophy. I guess I'm not willing to settle for a school just because they accept me. Now, if I'm schoolless at this point next year, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be a tad more liberal in my AMCAS school designations.
But, don't assume you're not a slacker just because you have company--we're still definitely in the <10 school minority.

I applied to 11 schools and actually debated about cutting one or two out. I can't see applying to a ridiculous amount of schools, many of which I probably wouldn't want to go to anyways. I didn't even apply to all the schools in my state because if they were the only schools I ended up getting into, I wouldn't want to go there anyways. Obviously I hope that everything goes well this year, but hell, I would much rather wait a year, do some cool ****, and then reapply and get into a school I truly want to go to instead of just settling for whatever school I just happen to get into.