How many schools require a full year of Organic Chemistry with labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregor Wiesmann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much sums it up. I'm just confused, because I thought it was pretty straight forward for Medical Schools........a year of General Chemistry, General Biology, Physics, and Organic Chemistry. But after looking at a few websites, I've seen a school that says you can replace OChem with Biochemistry, and another where they only require one quarter each of GChem, OChem, and BioChem.

Members don't see this ad.

Nearly all of them. Even if the med school doesn't "require" it, the MCAT will draw on that knowledge, not just from half the year.

Reactions: 1 user
Nearly all of them. Even if the med school doesn't "require" it, the MCAT will draw on that knowledge, not just from half the year.
I'll be taking the new 2015 MCAT, which I thought was going to include less OChem, and more Biochem and Psychology/Sociology. I guess I'll need to read up about that.......anyways, do Medical schools usually require the OChem labs too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be taking the new 2015 MCAT, which I thought was going to include less OChem, and more Biochem and Psychology/Sociology. I guess I'll need to read up about that.......anyways, do Medical schools usually require the OChem labs too?

Nah, some pre-meds choose to take ochem labs for the hell of it. Just take some U of Phoenix nursing courses and you'll be good to go.

Seriously though, yes. And even if you find a few obscure schools that will take any less than the accepted norm keep in mind (1) they'll prefer applicants who have taken more and (2) most people will have to apply to at least 10+ med schools to stand a fair chance of getting in one.

Reactions: 2 users
Nah, some pre-meds choose to take ochem labs for the hell of it. Just take some U of Phoenix nursing courses and you'll be good to go.

Seriously though, yes. And even if you find a few obscure schools that will take any less than the accepted norm keep in mind (1) they'll prefer applicants who have taken more and (2) most people will have to apply to at least 10+ med schools to stand a fair chance of getting in one.
Okay yeah, I guess I'll just take the full year + labs and be "over-prepared" for Orgo in the new MCAT. I'll probably have to take the test during my Senior though because of the Biochem I need to take......

I have no idea if the new MCAT will have LESS Organic. I thought the only change is that Biochem, Sociology, and Psychology will be ADDED to the MCAT hence the longer test. Yes, medical schools require Organic Chem labs. Have you not looked at the latest MSAR? The premed requirements are quite clear.

I have no idea if the new MCAT will have LESS Organic. I thought the only change is that Biochem, Sociology, and Psychology will be ADDED to the MCAT hence the longer test. Yes, medical schools require Organic Chem labs. Have you not looked at the latest MSAR? The premed requirements are quite clear.
Well, my state school doesn't list the OChem labs as required.......but anyways, yeah I've heard people mention MSAR before. Do you have to buy that?

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up. I'll buy myself a subscription!

Well, my state school doesn't list the OChem labs as required.......but anyways, yeah I've heard people mention MSAR before. Do you have to buy that?

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up. I'll buy myself a subscription!
Are you in high school?

Reactions: 1 users