How many schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kle0008

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to narrow down the number of schools I am going to apply to. I have relatively average stats across everything (my GPA is a little low), and I was wondering what a good number to apply to would be?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! The number of school to apply to soely depend on you.. There isn't a set number, I have seen people apply to one and others to 20+. Of course the more schools you apply to, the (slightly) better chances you have of getting in.. And then again, it all depend on your stats, grades, gre, ... Etc. Remmber that the fees to apply to more schools can add quickly from both ptcas and gre score sending services. Also you got to consider secondary application & fees some school charges.. The best way to approach this is to look at your gpa, gre score, and pre-requests courses & grades and match them to the schools requirement .. If you are just barely meeting the minumum standard for that school, you should move on to a less competitive school that will put your application above the minumum.. In addition, look at the number of applicants from pervious cycle and the number of accepted student (this info is easily avaliable) and just do a quick % of accepted from applied! If it's really low, perhaps your application fee is better spent at anotrr school with a higher % acceptance from application( you have to determine what is low % and what is high %). I was in your shoe last cycle with mid gpa, and overall what I considered average stats, and made a desicion to apply to 16 schools ( yes the $ spent was a little to much) but I wanted to increase my chances.. Got 4 waitlists & 2 acceptance..
Best of luck :)

It's better to apply to six schools where you have a reasonable chance of getting accepted than to apply to 20 schools that will probably reject you. Be strategic. Apply only to schools where you will want to study for the next 2.5-3 years. I don't understand people who apply to schools that they don't want to go. Don't apply to schools in a state where you don't want to live. If the learning style doesn't suit you, don't go there. Like the OP said, application fees can accumulate fast if you decide to apply to many schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with NewTestament... Do your research and be strategic about where you apply. Also remember that some schools require extra essays. I applied to 2 safety schools, 2 reach schools, and 3 schools that were middle of the road and had to write 11 extra essays, I believe... the work, and the fees, definitely add up!