How many schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rshah816

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am submitting my PharmCAS application tonight (unfortunately I wasn't able to do early decision because my references took two months to submit, even when I reminded them).

I was just wondering how many schools you guys applied to or are planning to apply to. So far, I have 8: University of Michigan, Wayne State, University of Illinois - Chicago, Midwestern, Nova, Long Island, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Kentucky. I live in Michigan.

I have all A's (4.0 GPA at my first university, 3.85 at my current institution because their A's range from 3.5-4.0 but it's still viewed as a 4.0 on PharmCAS) and my PCAT was a 97. I'm only nervous because I am applying after pre-requisites and I haven't completed a degree, though I was initially pursuing a biochem degree.

My parents are telling me I should apply to more in case I don't get in and their continual reminder is really making me nervous, but I really don't even know where else I would WANT to apply.

I just want to get a feel as to what other people's numbers are. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i think ur stats are competitive enough. many ppl still get accepted without bachelors so dont worry too much about it.

apply some low rank schools maybe a couple more for back up though if u r not confident.
i applied 20 schools with far below ur gpa and little less pcat score(3.25gpa 93pcat) but still got many interviews and already got an acceptance.
(now im regretting that i applied too much. maybe 10 schools were good enough.. but i was scared and its too late lol. i declined some interviews and didnt even do supplemental for some schools)

i think u still have decent chances on schools u listed but if u r worried maybe apply some more back up schools

I would say your list is fine, and not add anymore because it will cost another additional $50-$70 to add a school (and then another $50-$80 to do the supplement). If I were in your shoes I wouldn't add any more schools because I'd be confident enough with those stats to at least get a handful of interviews.

I have a WAY lower GPA (below 3.0) and PCAT score (76) so I applied to 14 schools and so far I got 5 interviews and 1 acceptance. They weren't top 20 schools or anything like your list but they are accredited schools. Now I wish I could've applied to less schools to save money T_T

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I am submitting my PharmCAS application tonight (unfortunately I wasn't able to do early decision because my references took two months to submit, even when I reminded them).

I was just wondering how many schools you guys applied to or are planning to apply to. So far, I have 8: University of Michigan, Wayne State, University of Illinois - Chicago, Midwestern, Nova, Long Island, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Kentucky. I live in Michigan.

I have all A's (4.0 GPA at my first university, 3.85 at my current institution because their A's range from 3.5-4.0 but it's still viewed as a 4.0 on PharmCAS) and my PCAT was a 97. I'm only nervous because I am applying after pre-requisites and I haven't completed a degree, though I was initially pursuing a biochem degree.

My parents are telling me I should apply to more in case I don't get in and their continual reminder is really making me nervous, but I really don't even know where else I would WANT to apply.

You want to apply to enough schools to not give yourself and your family regrets. It sounds like you want to apply to more schools; in this situation, you probably are safe with 15, at most 20.

I too have been wondering about this a lot. We have very similar stats, the only difference being that I will have a degree after next semester. I was thinking about applying to 7-8 schools, I feel like 15+ is just too many and so much money! :confused: How many did you end up applying to?

I too have been wondering about this a lot. We have very similar stats, the only difference being that I will have a degree after next semester. I was thinking about applying to 7-8 schools, I feel like 15+ is just too many and so much money! :confused: How many did you end up applying to?

I ended up applying to 10. I included University of Florida and Purdue University to the list.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, you are applying way to too many schools. But if you want to be safe, then I guess that's fine. My gpa is 3.1 and pcat 97. I was going to apply to 10 schools but ended up applying to 4 and got all 4 interviews. I did that because 1) i have school and i cannot miss too many classes to go to the interviews. I am in a professional program so i have clinics/rotations that I cannot miss 2) Too much money to pay for application and especially traveling fees 3) I applied early so this means that I will be able to go to interviews early. I will know if Im accepted/rejected in Nov/Dec. If i get rejected, then I can always apply to more schools around Nov/Dec, that's not too late to apply. 4) I'm applying to only schools if I really want to go. I didn't want to decline interview later when I get too many interview invites

But then again... if you have the money to spend, then go ahead. Those were just my reasons to why I applied to only 4 schools with my stats :)

Trying to skimp on a few hundreds of dollars on your entire future especially when you don't understand the job market very well and have personal worries is foolish.

I think that amount of schools is perfect for someone with your stats, and I wish you the best of luck.

for pharmacy schools, I applied 12 and got accepted 6. Now I see that applying too many schools is a complete waste but at that time I was desperate. 6-8 is adequate number unless you have 2.8 GPA and 50 PCAT.

Last edited:
I have a WAY lower GPA (below 3.0) and PCAT score (76) so I applied to 14 schools and so far I got 5 interviews and 1 acceptance. They weren't top 20 schools or anything like your list but they are accredited schools. Now I wish I could've applied to less schools to save money T_T

Which schools did you apply to if you don't mind me asking and which ones did you get into?

I would say your list is fine, and not add anymore because it will cost another additional $50-$70 to add a school (and then another $50-$80 to do the supplement). If I were in your shoes I wouldn't add any more schools because I'd be confident enough with those stats to at least get a handful of interviews.

Which school did you get accepted by? I'm in the same boat as you with stats.