How many "second lookers" do you think the average program gets in an interview season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

messenger634

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that number depends on how many people they interview – lets say it's for a program with nine spots, where they might interview 150 or so.

Members don't see this ad.

Really, I think it depends on the program. I read that some people here on SDN were invited to second looks at a date after their interview (can't remember if these were all FM programs or not, I tend to lurk for no reason). Those are probably limited invitations not given to every applicant.

All of the programs I interviewed at, however, clearly invited everyone back for a second look if they wished and emphasized that the second look had no bearing on their ranking. My attitude was that once interview day was over and I was out the door, the committee had already decided where to rank me. I only did second looks because I could not decide between my top 3 programs. Some of my programs had mixer type second looks with the option of a shadowing day, others invited you back for a shadowing day. IMO, second looks are really for the applicant, not the program, so only do second looks if you are unsure about your rank list come late January.

If programs all have different policies, you are not going to get a straight answer unfortunately. If you want to know about specific programs, people here may be able to give you an idea of what to expect.

Oh just to add...I had to reschedule my second look at a program due to snow, and had to change the date for 2 weeks later. Popular well known programs most likely are full of second lookers on every date possible so if you know you want to go back somewhere, make sure yo pick dates that work with your schedule and let the programs know at least 2-3 weeks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a huge variation in the programs I applied to. Nearly all of them had some kind of party as a second look. They varied from having to cancel due to lack of interest to another swanky party attended by over 150 people. There were a couple programs that I wasn't even that interested in but I went to their parties for the booze and the show.

I saw a huge variation in the programs I applied to. Nearly all of them had some kind of party as a second look. They varied from having to cancel due to lack of interest to another swanky party attended by over 150 people. There were a couple programs that I wasn't even that interested in but I went to their parties for the booze and the show.
Whoah, what kinda fancypants programs were you interviewing at? :)