How many semesters to boost gpa from 3.1 to 3.5?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I already graduated undergrad with an overall GPA of 3.1 in science and 3.38 overall. I am just wondering how many semesters of science classes does it usually take to boost your science GPA from say a 3.1 to say a 3.5 assuming you get all As in the class and you are taking 12 credits each semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the exact number of credits you have, and whether your new grades are at a 3.5 vs. 4.0. For MD schools, plan on at least two years. For DO schools, retaking some bad grades can jump you up faster. GPA repair is a long process.

really 2 years. I have already graduated with about 90 credits in the sciences with a science GPA of 3.1. Another 2 years with a 4.0? I dont know man 2 years is a long time before I apply for MD Schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
really 2 years. I have already graduated with about 90 credits in the sciences with a science GPA of 3.1. Another 2 years with a 4.0? I dont know man 2 years is a long time before I apply for MD Schools.

Sorry? You are applying to medical school. What did you expect? It isn't like a community college where everyone who applies gets in. The average MD acceptance is around 3.7 I think. DO schools are 3.5. You are a huge amount away. DO does grade replacement and is a fully licensed physician so maybe that's a route to look into. You still have some time though because med schools don't generally accept B averages. At least not without a year of As.

Hey all,

I already graduated undergrad with an overall GPA of 3.1 in science and 3.38 overall. I am just wondering how many semesters of science classes does it usually take to boost your science GPA from say a 3.1 to say a 3.5 assuming you get all As in the class and you are taking 12 credits each semester?

Math, bro.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

It took me more than two years, but some of my work was part-time. Either way, I had 80cr of c3.83/s3.91, and the last 60 were 3.95 (100% science). My MCAT was a 26, and I was only accepted to 2 DO schools because of my original work being low. Moral=beggars can't be choosers
I was happy to get into the school I want to attend, and that I got in at all and didn't have to do an SMP. If you have 90 science credits, you will need 72 credits @4.0 to get to a 3.5.

Hey all,

Really depends on how many classes you need to take over.

I had (8) 4 credit science classes with lab I needed to take over and I did them all in one year, Jumped from a science GPA of 3.3.to 3.8 due to grade replacement and A's. Still took me 3 years after that applying back to back before I got admitted. The road is not easy and there are no shortcuts and there are no guarantees that you will be accepted the first time you apply. As another poster stated - beggars can't be choosers and you go where they take you.

This.

Math, bro.

It really shouldn't be that difficult to figure out the answer for someone who has collegiate experience. Use excel or something and plan it out. I'm all for people helping people but self-sufficiency is something that should not be lost...especially for those of us pursuing medicine.

I had 121 undergrad credits. Retook 18 credits, added 12 new science credits, and my GPA went from 2.65 to 3.22. I retook C, C-, C, and D though. So if you are retaking C+/B-/B, you won't have as big of a jump as I did.

Hey all,

OP:

Assuming you have 120 total credits and 90 science credits:
It will take you 30 credits of 4.0 work to bring your overall GPA to a 3.5
It will take roughly 128 credits of 4.0 work to bring your overall GPA to a 3.7

It will take 72 credits of 4.0 work to bring your science GPA to a 3.5
It will take 180 credits of 4.0 work to bring your science GPA to 3.7

With 30 science credits getting As in all classes, your science GPA rises to 3.325

Someone check my math.

These hypothetical situations are often near-impossible in reality because you're assuming straight As for 1-2 (or more) years when your undergrad track record has shown an average of almost straight Bs for 4+ years.

So you have your work cut out for you. Whatever you were doing to study and prepare for tests before, you need to change/augment.