How many students do schools really accept?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diene

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen data for the number of students interviewed and the number of students enrolled. Since not all accepted students go to a certain school, how many extra acceptances do dental schools send out? or do they give out lets say a 100 acceptances for a class of 100 and then based on how many people decline, they send out more?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They accept a lot more students than the amount of seats they actually have. All of this information is in the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2012 book. Last year for example, Boston University interviewed 306 out of state students, accepted 244 of them, and only 87 of them actually enrolled. As for in state, they interviewed 71 students, accepted 54, and 28 of them actually enrolled. Hope that clears it up a bit.

depends on school to school.

schools with excellent name and hard to get into accept just litte over ~50-75 extra students.

but schools such as Midwestern or new schools accept plenty of extra students almost double the incoming class. usually students tend to pick older private schools over new private school just b/c of established name and clinic.

In case of public school. they probably accept only 20-40 extra. only after confirming withdrawal form their school

Members don't see this ad :)
I am by no means an expert, and i am sure non of us is. But most ideally i am sure the have a "cap" or a certain number of seats for a given academic year, they try to fill that up before class begins if it means calling people from wait lists. I am also aware of something they refer to as the "Yield Percent". The yield percent is basically a historical percentage of the students that get acceptance and actually enroll. So they base the amount of interviews they give on the percent yield. If the have a high percent yield they probably don't give many interviews since most of the accepted students will eventually select their school. Some schools with high yields are Columbia, Harvard, Upenn...etc. I don't know if this contributes to the answer you are trying to collect with your question lol.

It does indeed vary by school. If my memory serves me, UoP accepts ~170ish for their 140 seats. UCSF sends out 60-80 (can't remember) acceptances Dec 1, waits for deposits, then sends out another batch until the class fills up. Again, this is very rough because I can't remember exact figures! Hope this helps :)

They accept a lot more students than the amount of seats they actually have. All of this information is in the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2012 book. Last year for example, Boston University interviewed 306 out of state students, accepted 244 of them, and only 87 of them actually enrolled. As for in state, they interviewed 71 students, accepted 54, and 28 of them actually enrolled. Hope that clears it up a bit.

Where can I find that information? I have the book on me right now and I can't find that information. For the example you gave, Boston university, I'm on page 158 - 161 and all I see is estimated number interviewed (377), estimated number enrolled (115) on page 160.

In the beginning of the book, there are a bunch of pages with charts and statistics comparing all the schools. If you take a look at the page that illustrates "Dental Schools Applicants And Enrollees, In state Versus out of State", it has the statistics there about how many were interviewed and how many were accepted.

Where can I find that information? I have the book on me right now and I can't find that information. For the example you gave, Boston university, I'm on page 158 - 161 and all I see is estimated number interviewed (377), estimated number enrolled (115) on page 160.

Page 34 for this particular case.

In the beginning of the book, there are a bunch of pages with charts and statistics comparing all the schools. If you take a look at the page that illustrates "Dental Schools Applicants And Enrollees, In state Versus out of State", it has the statistics there about how many were interviewed and how many were accepted.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. Although some schools list the exact number of acceptances as the number of enrolled :O That's probably distorted, right? That's not possible.

lol @ UoP..everyone that interviewed got accepted o_O

Page 34 for this particular case.

oh wow! thanks a lot guys

It seems like 8 out of 100 applicants are interviewed. And out of the ones who're interviewed, anywhere between 20-70% are accepted. This is based off the handbook. Correct me if I'm wrong.