How many times should I apply before giving up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LyraGardenia

Kansas State c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So this is my first time starting a thread here, but I searched both this forum and the Internet as a whole and didn't really find an answer to my question. If this is better addressed somewhere else, feel free to point me in the right direction!

So I've so far been rejected from 2 of the 3 schools I applied to this year (Purdue and OK State), and I'm still waiting to hear from Mizzou, my IS, but I'm not optimistic. My stats are all average to below average other than solid GRE scores, but understandably it seems that most schools don't emphasize that aspect. Long story short, I've pretty much resigned myself to applying a second time and taking the year to gain more experience. However, my question is how many times should I keep applying if it still doesn't work out? Maybe that's an issue I should worry about if it comes to it, but I feel like I should have a solid back-up plan.

I've been mulling over what I'd want to do if it never works out, but how do you know when you've reached that point? It would get hard both financially and emotionally to keep trying and getting nowhere, but at the same time you have to wonder "what if I tried one more time?" So basically my question is what's the average number of times people have to apply before they get in? I hear numbers like 4 or 5 times on average, but then I see so many first-time applicants with awesome stats getting accepted, and it's really discouraging. I'm one of those people that's wanted to be a vet almost as long as I can remember, so it would be really discouraging to ever have to give up on my dream, but I don't think "just keep applying until it happens" is a realistic plan. There's a point where you have to say "maybe I'm not cut out for this."

Sorry for the long winded post, but any advice or wisdom would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, there is no right answer in this scenario. I think average is sometime around three tries, but that shouldn't really factor into your decision in my opinion; you should do what feels right to you. My close friend got in on his seventh try.

Either way, you should always have a back-up plan ready to go. You could go into a career working with animals (research, behavior, training, conservation, technician, etc) or a career not with animals but still with medicine (nursing, PA, etc) or you could go another route entirely. Basically, whatever else you can see yourself happy doing.

In the more practical aspect, I would evaluate your application and see just how much it would take to get a better shot at that acceptance. Do you need to re-do all of your pre-reqs? Do you need hundreds of hours of experience? Do you need to build relationships with people that will write you good letters and mentor you? The more work you might have to put in (and the more it would cost you) might be a good gauge for when to abandon ship. If your application is right there but needs some tweaking, I would be more encouraging than if you have to overhaul everything.

In the end, it's up to you. I think you'll know when you're ready to throw in the towel, but I would at least give yourself one more shot at it.

Reactions: 3 users
it sounds like you really want to be a vet and i don't think that is something you should give up on because in the end we are talking about a career you will be in for the rest of your life- you might as well be happy. Perhaps next round apply to schools in the caribbean if you would consider going there. Otherwise, re-take courses that you didn't do so well in and improve other aspects of your application. But if you really want to be a vet I think you will get there and don't get discouraged over not getting in on your first try (especially because you are only going off the opinions of 3 schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were turned away from OKState so early, was there something incorrect or missing from your application? Like, a pre req class, some sort of cutoff, that kind of thing? I'm just curious because it seems early - but they do change things year to year so who knows.

I applied three times. My number statistics were all average to below average.

The most tries I've heard of is 7. Like redhead said, there are a lot of factors to take into account here. Unfortunately there's no concrete number anyone can give you.

This is really a personal decision. Also, do get an application evaluation from each of the schools, they are often really good about telling you what you are missing and what you can do to improve. Some people will only try 2 or 3 times and some people will try more. It is ultimately up to you what you feel is right.

It took me three times to gain acceptance.

If you were turned away from OKState so early, was there something incorrect or missing from your application? Like, a pre req class, some sort of cutoff, that kind of thing? I'm just curious because it seems early - but they do change things year to year so who knows.

I was thinking the same thing. I applied there (OOS) and have not been rejected yet. I have a VERY low Cum GPA, so if you are average I would think you are missing a pre-req or something else is wrong? I would try to figure out what is going on with file reviews (when you can) before you stress over making anymore decisions.

Yup, the issue was that I'm retaking organic 2 this semester because I failed it last semester, but apparently I missed a bullet point on their website that courses taken for substitution have to be completed by the fall you apply. So it's my fault, but it's okay. Mizzou is my first choice, and even if they reject me too, I could really use the gap year to improve my application.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's encouraging to be reminded that it takes a lot of people multiple tries! I'll definitely apply a second time if need be, and if I get all rejections again I'll probably try the islands as well. But I'll take it one year at a time!

Yup, the issue was that I'm retaking organic 2 this semester because I failed it last semester, but apparently I missed a bullet point on their website that courses taken for substitution have to be completed by the fall you apply. So it's my fault, but it's okay. Mizzou is my first choice, and even if they reject me too, I could really use the gap year to improve my application.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's encouraging to be reminded that it takes a lot of people multiple tries! I'll definitely apply a second time if need be, and if I get all rejections again I'll probably try the islands as well. But I'll take it one year at a time!

Given that - fix the problem and then apply again. Do some research on anywhere else you would possibly apply, like places that have evaluation processes that will put you in the best light. Hopefully ,it's not necessary, but it's best to start planning now anyway.

As for the total number... well, that's up to you. Took me three tries, but I only applied IS the first two. Got in IS when I applied to like nine other schools. Figures, right? :)

Reactions: 1 user
I applied 4 times before I got in. Did a file review each time to get an idea of where I could improve.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who is also trying for the first time, my plan is to apply about three or four times if I don't get in this cycle (or the subsequent, etc). This is because I also want other things out of life while also being a vet. My back up plan is going for pediatrician/pediatric surgeon or a high school biology teacher (lol.). However, I'm not going to worry about that sort of thing until I have to because I am trying to be optimistic about this cycle and the next. If I don't get in, I'm going to improve some grades, get some more experience, and roll with other plans in my life that can happen if I don't get accepted on this cycle. There's always a silver lining, you just have to see it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been on a SDN binge lately looking at stats (days off are terrible for a neurotic student waiting to hear back from vet schools). If this is what you really want and have a low sGPA / cGPA the answer seems to be getting a science masters. There were people with averages far below 3.0 who were able to turn it all around with their master GPA. I ended up doing Post Bacc instead and regret it.

As others have said, personal choice.

I tell myself 4 tries. I'm on my second unsuccessful attempt now. I still have options available to improve my application. I imagine there will come a breaking point but I'm not sure what form it will take - a relationship, a health scare, money problems, etc.

I applied 4 times before I got in. Did a file review each time to get an idea of where I could improve.

Good luck!

Agree 100% on the file review! Took me 4 tries and I did a file review each time. Some schools will even do them over the phone if you can't travel. Also, it took the doctor I used to work with 5 tries, so don't give up if your heart's still there!!!

For those who have been through multiple application cycles, did you re-apply in the immediately following cycle? Or did some of you take a year to bump up hours/grades? I'm unsure if I will be able to drastically improve my application in the time between my potentially last rejection (March) and October. Maybe repeat a class or two and do 40+ hours of vet clinic and volunteering each week might be more than I think it is.

I applied twice, the first time all of my stats except GRE were below average and I had almost zero exp hrs with animals. Since last year I have gained well over 1000 hrs of exp plus some research exp, raised my gpa a great deal to average or slightly above, even took a few graduate classes after I graduated to look good, boosted my GRE a little and reapplied. I made sure to really study each school to figure out where I had the best chance. Another thing is to work on is the essays for each school in their applications and of course the VMCAS one. So far Ive gotten into 2 schools and am waiting to hear from the third. The applications and interviews are mainly about figuring out the formula that the schools want. Had I not gotten in this time, I probably wouldve done one more try while getting a master's and if that had not succeeded then I wouldve gone to my fallback of a PhD

For those who have been through multiple application cycles, did you re-apply in the immediately following cycle? Or did some of you take a year to bump up hours/grades? I'm unsure if I will be able to drastically improve my application in the time between my potentially last rejection (March) and October. Maybe repeat a class or two and do 40+ hours of vet clinic and volunteering each week might be more than I think it is.

I think it depends what your weak points are in your application. I applied twice- back to back. My weak point was my GRE so I worked hard and took a class to get those scores up to at least decent. Nothing outstanding- I'm just not a good standardized test taker. I also was working in a vet clinic full time when I was off for that year. If GPA is your weak point- then you might need to take an additional year to raise it. So, really, there is no right answer on it. Feel free to message me if you'd like. Good luck!

The best advice I can give: Get file reviews and listen to them They do help.

I was told by one school the first time I applied that I would never be accepted with my GPA and that I would have no choice but to do a master's. I also got a really awful, overall uncomfortable feeling from this school while receiving my file review. (My GPA at this time was in the 3.6 range as it was the first year I applied).

Anyway, I did not get that same feedback from any other school I applied to over the three years (and my final GPA was a 3.49). I was not going to be able to raise this much with the number of credit hours I had, so it meant doing a master's program. (I didn't have any courses I could retake for higher grades as I had As and Bs, so master's was only way of changing anything with GPA for me). I had a few reservations with doing a master's: 1. I didn't really want to. I know this seems ridiculous, but my degree was in biology and the only way you are going with a master's in that field is towards research and a PhD, neither of which I care for. 2. It would cost even more money. So, it was pointless, in my opinion, for me to do a master's because I would: 1. Never really wanted one nor would I have used it should I not have been accepted to vet school 2. Spend more money.

The next thing I was told: Get more varied experience... Ok, I can definitely try for this one. I immediately started to look for places in the area I lived to work with other animals... I found a volunteer position with horses. So, I was able to get some good horse experience, though not veterinary related. But, it was something. Where I lived, it was difficult to find anything else and I did ultimately find an equine vet the last year I applied to let me shadow for a day. However, he was not very busy, so there was not much for me to see and he said we would touch base again during the breeding season, which never happened, for various reasons. This was the hardest part for me. I wanted to get more experience with other species, but there just wasn't the availability for it.

The next thing I did: Retook the GRE. I was horrible with the verbal section of that exam. Math + me = love. Verbal section + Me = mutual hatred. I took the GRE three times, each time slightly improving my verbal score. I don't know if it helped at all, but, if anything, it showed I was making an effort to improve parts of my application that were not as strong.

The final thing I did/was recommended in file review to do: Rewrite my essays. No, the school who suggested this was not rude about it at all. They actually said my essays were fine, but they didn't show specific things. A lot of the recommendation was, "You say you are good at x, don't say it, demonstrate it in the essay with an example." So if you say you have good leadership abilities, don't just say that, show it. Explain how you demonstrate leadership abilities. So, if you give yourself a specific characteristic in the essay as a point showing that you would make a good vet student/vet, prove that you do have that characteristic. Saying it is one thing, showing it is another. Also, most of the schools love, love, love leadership ability. I was told to try to make leadership a point in my essay (obviously, listen to whatever the school tells you). I think my biggest weakness was that I don't like to brag, so I held back a lot; this is one of those instances where you can not hold back. Tell them who you are, what you are good at and why that would make you a good vet/vet student. Obviously there is that fine line of coming off as full of yourself, but you can brag about yourself without coming across that way.

Throughout all of this, I worked full time as a veterinary technician. So I was constantly gaining and racking up more small animal vet hours, which I really didn't need but it was a job and it happened to kill two birds with one stone.

Ultimately, the best thing that you can do is get those file reviews. There is no one way that will fit every person for how to improve upon their application between cycles. I applied 3 times, each time was the immediate year following the year prior.

I've applied twice so far. I missed what would have been my first eligible application cycle due to a serious injury. Honestly, that delay probably cost me more than I realize (my grades dropped for two quarters as I dealt with my health issues). In between my applications I improved my GRE substantially and I improved my last 45. I wasn't able to get significantly more veterinary hours, but I did expand my animal experiences with a couple of internships. I was still unsuccessful. Next time, my GPA's will be higher, I will have a Master's degree, and if things work out this summer I will have more veterinary hours. I still don't know if that will be enough.

The time between consecutive applications seems long but is annoyingly short in duration. If you really want to take that time off and, hell, just enjoy yourself or get things together, go ahead. This whole process isn't a race. At some point you need to start the schooling so you can start your career, but the window to do that is not as narrow as it feels at times.

Thanks all for the great replies! I guess I'm just lost at this point. I posted recently in the "What are my chances?" thread and got replies alone the lines of: don't retake pre-reqs since I have a decent GPA (about a 3.6 overall with my pre-req GPA being slightly above a 3.0 which is not good :confused:) and don't do a master's unless you actually want the degree. However, the master's would improve my GPA. I'd like to do animal nutrition, but that would mean a gap year between applications, more money, and potentially lowering my GPA.

@Rabbit Riot You're right, it isn't a race. And I'm glad you made that point.
@DVMDream I have a strong feeling my essays might be the problem in my application. I had a lot of people look at my stats and hours and tell me I should be a shoe-in, but that's obviously not the case so far. I'm frustrated with how this turned out because it is difficult to see friends with much lower grades/GREs/experience hours get interview and acceptance offers, but this points directly to my essays. I'm happy for them, but at the same time I'm kicking myself for sharing my notes when they skipped class...anyways:meh: I thought I did a good job writing them and had them read several times, but at least I have a foundation upon which to improve. I think my explanation statement might be kicked out next cycle.

My plan is to continue getting small animal hours this summer while volunteering as a horse/LA rescue and possibly returning to a wildlife rehab center. My GRE could still improve some, so I'll also be studying for that as well. As for repeating pre-reqs...I guess I won't know my decision until I get my file reviews. I'm still waiting to hear from my IS, but rejections do not go out until March.

It all really depends on the school you want to go to. Some schools like seeing more upper level/master's courses. Some don't care about those at all and really only look at the prereq courses. IMO, your best chance is to focus on a few schools and find out specifically what turns their head. For me, my cumulative gpa was horrendous (lots of reasons why, blah blah blah, doesn't really matter), but I retook prereqs and rocked them. I also worked to get my last 45hrs as awesome as possible :) So my focus was on schools that look at those things because really there was nothing I could do to fix my cumulative gpa. The next thing I did was really work on my personal statement. I've gotta say, I was very proud of it. As far as diversity in vet experience, I'm not convinced it really matters, but I'd talk to the schools directly about that. Obviously you want as much experience as you can get. Get file reviews, make a game plan, and take one day at a time. You can do it! It'll happen :D Just sometimes not in the time frame we want unfortunately :p

Thanks! I'm slowly coming to terms with not jumping straight into vet school after undergrad. I still don't know if I will get the time after this upcoming cycle to just work or if I will be retaking classes though...

Michigan State is my IS. They've sent out about two rounds of acceptances but are clear on not sending rejections until March. My view is that if my file is in the rejection pile collecting dust, let me know so I can plan out my next few months! I'm not sure why they wait.

I've gotta say, I was very proud of it. As far as diversity in vet experience, I'm not convinced it really matters, but I'd talk to the schools directly about that.

Diversity really depends on the school. UPenn is one off the top of my head that likes to see depth of experience and a little diversity. But most of the vet schools I applied to over the 3 years that I applied all emphasized that diversity of experience is important and recommended it in file reviews. So, definitely need to check with the school. I would say it is better to have it than not to have it, if you possibly can.

I see the phrase "breadth and depth" of experience a lot. It shows you see all facets of the veterinary profession and that you've been "exposed" to it. They want to see that say, a day in a shelter seeing healthy animals euthanized didn't scare you off. Or being stepped on by a cow. Or puked on by a dog. Or mauled by a kitty. :hurting:

For Michigan, it really is about those last 45hrs and science prereqs. As far as diversity of experience there, I dunno. As others have said, best to talk to them. I was accepted for this fall and have no large animal official vet experience, but a ton of small animal. I do have a bunch of equine personal experience though. I also don't have any exotic experience besides owning some random pets when I was a kid. I think the SIS is a decent gauge for MSU too. Plus it's not over till it's over! Keeping fingers crossed for you!

Ok,I need some input and advice related to this topic (if this would be better posted in a different thread please let me know!). First off, this is currently my 4th cycle (yes, it's been a painful last few years). I probably shouldn't have applied earlier than this year due to my low GPA to be honest. The few three cycles I only applied to my IS (Wisconsin) and finally decided to branch out and try 7 schools total. So far I've been rejected from 3 US schools, accepted to SGU, and declined an interview with Ross. I'm still waiting to hear from Penn and Wisconsin, but with how things have been going this cycle I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

My predicament is that I'm a little unsure about moving down to Grenada for the next three years and I'm wondering if I should just wait another year and reapply a fifth time, or suck it up and start moving towards becoming a vet. My hesitancy about moving to Grenada isn't that I'm worried about the school, I'm just not sure I can move away from my family for that long. My SO and I have been doing long distance for 3 years already, and it would be wonderful to actually live in the same city for a change. Additionally, my siblings are all starting to have kids and I wish I could be around when they're born/growing up.

On the other hand, I think moving to a different country would bring me out of my comfort zone and give me a great experience. I would also be able to start working towards my dream career rather than waiting another year.

My question is, has anyone been in this situation? Sorry for rambling and I hope this doesn't come off as complaining... I'm super thrilled to be accepted to a vet school, I'm just hoping for people's experience/thoughts on taking another year off or just getting started.

Thanks! I'm slowly coming to terms with not jumping straight into vet school after undergrad. I still don't know if I will get the time after this upcoming cycle to just work or if I will be retaking classes though...

Michigan State is my IS. They've sent out about two rounds of acceptances but are clear on not sending rejections until March. My view is that if my file is in the rejection pile collecting dust, let me know so I can plan out my next few months! I'm not sure why they wait.

Honestly, having time off after undergrad is great! I didn't apply to vet school until I was already out of school a year (I didn't get much experience in school, so I needed that time to get it) and I don't regret it one bit. Aside from the fact that I was able to get some awesome vet experience in by being available full time for loner than the 2.5 months most students seen to have available in their summer, I also drove across the country twice and spent 7 months living in Canada and doing a whole lot of nothing other than walking dogs along the ocean and cleaning up after some petting zoo animals. A vet school application is about more than GPAs and GREs and number/variety of experience hours and extracurricular activities. Being able to demonstrate personal growth, confidence (especially for a second or whatever time around applicant) and strong skills in areas like judgement, communication, leadership, responsibility, etc. is important. Sometimes a good life experience or two can be worth more than you think, if you show it off the right way. It certainly doesn't have to involve travel or moving (especially if you're short on cash), but the point is, once you're not a student anymore, the world seems mighty different. And unless you come out of school with someone offering you a job at a place you've worked before, making your way in the "real world" can be hard, especially when you're stuck in limbo with a degree that's not particularly useful on its own, and you'll likely grow a lot in the process. And don't underestimate the power of a good recommendation letter. That's one of the more overlooked areas. Find some people (don't necessarily have to all be vets, although that depends on the school you're applying to somewhat...) who you can really get to know (or rather have them get to know you) and make the most of your time with them (and really demonstrate those awesome personal skills, is the point I'm trying to make). Having someone else say you're a good leader or very responsible or have good judgement is much more valuable that you trying to say it yourself. I'm pretty sure the only reason I got an interview at UF last year was because the vet I worked with had graduated from there with a guy who is now on the admissions committee there, and he emailed her to ask more about me...

Also, start planning now under the assumption that you don't get in. That way if you don't, you'll already have things lined up and won't waste time scrambling to find things to do. I wouldn't make any binding commitments, but start calling around for experiences or applying for jobs or looking into what classes you might want to sign up for. I made a flow chart last year, with different options for all the potential things that might happen in the next few months (I had a little too much time on my hands while anxiously waiting to hear back from vet schools) And if you do get in, having some experiences lined up for the summer won't hurt. Getting in is a relief, but that doesn't mean you get to stop getting experience and making all the connections you can...

My predicament is that I'm a little unsure about moving down to Grenada for the next three years and I'm wondering if I should just wait another year and reapply a fifth time, or suck it up and start moving towards becoming a vet. My hesitancy about moving to Grenada isn't that I'm worried about the school, I'm just not sure I can move away from my family for that long. My SO and I have been doing long distance for 3 years already, and it would be wonderful to actually live in the same city for a change. Additionally, my siblings are all starting to have kids and I wish I could be around when they're born/growing up.

On the other hand, I think moving to a different country would bring me out of my comfort zone and give me a great experience. I would also be able to start working towards my dream career rather than waiting another year.

I have not been in this situation (yet), but if I were, I think that I'd have to sit down and write out a detailed list of the pros and cons. My biggest worry with dragging this application process out too long is that at some time there will be schools that will nullify my prerequisite coursework based on age. That thought doesn't make me happy, but it does present as a finite point in the future that I'd like to avoid.

I'm not sure about SGU, but what I've read is that some of the island schools don't really take summer breaks and students come back to the US to finish up their requirements. If that's all true, I would think the overall inconvenience of being far away for X amount of time would be more manageable than at first glance. It wouldn't really be 4 continuous years of separation.

Do you know if pre-reqs are nullified X years after graduation, or X years from the semester of completion?

Do you know if pre-reqs are nullified X years after graduation, or X years from the semester of completion?

I think it depends on the school. VMRCVM I think is 6 years? Mizzou it depends- you can have them not counted if you choose so if they are over 6 years old (of course, you have to retake them, at that point) or you can use them.

Semester of completion. I know this, because I had to choose which schools to apply to based on which ones accepted my older pre-reqs.

There's no sense in beating yourself up over not getting in on your first try. Most people don't. This is my 3rd application, and I'm finally getting accepted to schools. My first application was pretty much right after undergrad, and I was told that my academics were weak. They suggested that I get a Masters - so I did. I applied again during my grad program, and was again denied. I added to and diversified my animal experiences by volunteering with wildlife and food animals, and I added some more research to my application. I finished my graduate work and this year so far I have two acceptances and turned down two interviews.

Looking back at myself, when I first applied, I see why they didn't admit me. I wasn't ready, even though I know I could have pulled it together and done OK in vet school - THEY didn't know that, because I hadn't demonstrated to the admissions boards that I was mature enough or committed enough to be a good vet student. Being admitted to a grad program wasn't enough yet either, but now that they can see how well I did in my graduate work, there shouldn't be any doubt about my ability to handle professional school.

Get those file reviews, and take them seriously. I took 3 years between my first and second app, but my 3rd (this year) was the following year, following completion of grad school. I have friends who took 5-6 tries, and I know people who got in on their first app. I also know people who got denied this round, and have declared that it was their last go (at 4 tries, it's understandable). You'll either get in, or you'll figure out whether you want to keep trying or do something else.

Pretty scary to think that in a little over 2 years, I'll have to retake gen chem then...

Pretty scary to think that in a little over 2 years, I'll have to retake gen chem then...
That's my problem if I don't get accepted this year. I took a lot of prereqs my freshman year which was 2008...Does that mean I can still apply this year 2014 and be OK?

Contact the schools you're interested in. Every one has slightly different time frames for classes. For example, CSU only has time restrictions on certain prereqs (biochem and genetics, I think), so I applied there.

I had to apply 3 times! I was really discouraged after try 2 but come to find out my 2 years off were the best thing that could have happened to me. Also I became wayyyy more open minded (originally thought US school or nothing) come to find out this year I ended up with choices and fell in love with the program at RVC and will be spending 4 years in Europe which im SO excited for. Don't get discouraged and keep and open mind!

Anyone know what they consider the semester of completion for high school AP credits? For instance I took AP chem my junior year of high school (08-09), which is coming up on six years ago, but of course it wasn't put on my college transcript until just before fall 2010. It would seem rather mean to have to retake gen chem 1 at this point!

Anyone know what they consider the semester of completion for high school AP credits? For instance I took AP chem my junior year of high school (08-09), which is coming up on six years ago, but of course it wasn't put on my college transcript until just before fall 2010. It would seem rather mean to have to retake gen chem 1 at this point!
I'm pretty sure I counted mine with my freshman undergrad fall semester, since that was the beginning of my enrollment and the first time they could have counted. I'm not 100% sure though and don't have my VMCAS printout right now to check.

Mine were on my transcript for my first semester of freshman year (~5 years prior to applying). One of them I took in my junior year of high school, so that was ~7 years prior to applying, and I had no trouble. There's no way they would have known when I actually took those courses unless they contacted my high school, which I highly doubt they would bother doing.

So, I didn't read all of the responses, but here's (here are?) my two cents.

Most people have already said this, but how many times you apply is a very personal decision. For example, one doctor I worked with only applied to Auburn for 4 cycles and was rejected all 4. The 5th cycle, she added Tuskegee and was accepted and is now one of the best veterinarians I have ever had the fortune to work with. In that situation, she wasn't shelling out hundreds of dollars every year on applications, travel for interviews (since she lived there), anything like that.

I only applied twice, and if I hadn't gotten in the second time, I was not going to apply again. It's not that I didn't love veterinary medicine or didn't want it enough, it's that I was already 24 and the cost of applying is high. My GPA was low...like 2.9/3.0, my GRE was relatively good but not outstanding, I had a lot of experience and fantastic LORs but every file review wanted me to pursue a Masters and I honestly wasn't interested in graduating from vet school at >30 years old and in hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. I know it seems silly that a few years made a difference to me, but long-term, it really does.

Every person's situation is different. I wanted to be a veterinarian, but if it hadn't panned out, I would have been ok with working for a veterinary pharmaceutical company or even continuing to tech. Don't let people tell you that if you don't keep applying until you get in that you obviously don't really want it. That's a bunch of BS. Yes, you have to be passionate about it and work hard to get into vet school, but not every person can spend years and thousands of dollars gambling with their life.

Hopefully, this won't even be an issue for you and you'll get in and not have to worry about it. I just wanted to give you my story.

I'm pretty sure I put them down for whenever they appeared on my college transcript, which was actually for a semester before I actually started college. I was worried it would cause confusion putting something down for before the date I put as when I started college, but it didn't seem to matter. They're counting the college credit you got for the AP test as credit for your prereq, not the AP class itself, so I'm pretty sure just whenever it shows up on your transcript is fine.

Weigh your options but don't give up! I applied 3 times to my IS school and did not even get an interview. I applied for the 4th time last September to my IS school and 2 OOS, got denied again at my IS school but had interviews at both OOS schools. I got accepted at Purdue and I'm waiting to hear from the other OOS school. Fortunately I only have loans from grad school that are almost paid off and I've been working full time and able to invest in each application, test, traveling costs, etc...
My undergrad grades were average so I got an MS focusing on classes that would help prepare me for a dual DVM/MPH degree program. I did a file review every year to see how I could improve my application and gained varied animal, research and vet experiences (paid experience helps I think, but volunteer still looks good). I also took the GRE each cycle to improve my score after studying my weak areas.
Honestly, if I did not get accepted this round, I would have completed an MPH before potentially giving applying for vet school another go around. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Weigh your options but don't give up! I applied 3 times to my IS school and did not even get an interview. I applied for the 4th time last September to my IS school and 2 OOS, got denied again at my IS school but had interviews at both OOS schools. I got accepted at Purdue and I'm waiting to hear from the other OOS school. Fortunately I only have loans from grad school that are almost paid off and I've been working full time and able to invest in each application, test, traveling costs, etc...
My undergrad grades were average so I got an MS focusing on classes that would help prepare me for a dual DVM/MPH degree program. I did a file review every year to see how I could improve my application and gained varied animal, research and vet experiences (paid experience helps I think, but volunteer still looks good). I also took the GRE each cycle to improve my score after studying my weak areas.
Honestly, if I did not get accepted this round, I would have completed an MPH before potentially giving applying for vet school another go around. Best of luck!

Why do I have a sinking feeling that your IS is A&M?

Why do I have a sinking feeling that your IS is A&M?
Yes it is. I did both undergrad and my masters there. Although A&M was my top choice due to resident tuition and I love all things Aggieland (as I sit writing this in an Aggie shirt lol) I had to figure out what was most important to me in the long run. At the end of the day, I want to practice veterinary medicine and A&M is not the only vet school out there. After doing research and gaining referrals from vets that I currently work with, I found schools that looked at my application more objectively than A&M and applied accordingly. Yea paying OOS tuition is gonna be a major pain but it's something I'm willing to bite the bullet for to achieve my goals. I wouldn't sell yourself short just yet. I knew of a guy that got in after a couple tries with an even lower GPA than mine but he had alot of experience and excellent LOR's. Each application cycle is different. I'm sometimes thankful it took a couple of times for me to get accepted because I have had the opportunity to work with doctors on cases because the knowledge gained will be invaluable once I'm finished with school. My advice to anyone is to remember what motivated you to become a vet and consider taking the road less traveled if it will get you to your end goal.

Reactions: 2 users
Semester of completion. I know this, because I had to choose which schools to apply to based on which ones accepted my older pre-reqs.

There's no sense in beating yourself up over not getting in on your first try. Most people don't. This is my 3rd application, and I'm finally getting accepted to schools. My first application was pretty much right after undergrad, and I was told that my academics were weak. They suggested that I get a Masters - so I did. I applied again during my grad program, and was again denied. I added to and diversified my animal experiences by volunteering with wildlife and food animals, and I added some more research to my application. I finished my graduate work and this year so far I have two acceptances and turned down two interviews.

Looking back at myself, when I first applied, I see why they didn't admit me. I wasn't ready, even though I know I could have pulled it together and done OK in vet school - THEY didn't know that, because I hadn't demonstrated to the admissions boards that I was mature enough or committed enough to be a good vet student. Being admitted to a grad program wasn't enough yet either, but now that they can see how well I did in my graduate work, there shouldn't be any doubt about my ability to handle professional school.

Get those file reviews, and take them seriously. I took 3 years between my first and second app, but my 3rd (this year) was the following year, following completion of grad school. I have friends who took 5-6 tries, and I know people who got in on their first app. I also know people who got denied this round, and have declared that it was their last go (at 4 tries, it's understandable). You'll either get in, or you'll figure out whether you want to keep trying or do something else.

So I realize that you posted this a couple of years ago. However, your situation sounds almost identical to mine and I was just wondering what you did to keep your moral and confidence up? I just finished up with my second cycle and thus second round of rejection if I don't get off this silly waitlist (which as summer goes on seems less and less likely). I have accepted that the first time I applied I was not ready and I definitely used it as a learning experience for this second time where I felt much more confident. I fixed some pre-req grades, improved my GRE, expanded my animal experiences, and pursued my master's degree. Honestly now I am crushed. I know so many others who got in and I cannot help but compare myself to them and I just cannot understand. I have always said I wanted to go to vet school but I am not sure I can handle waiting another year to potentially have this same thing happen.....Anyway sorry to bombard you with my whole pathetic story I am just in need of some support resources!!

So I realize that you posted this a couple of years ago. However, your situation sounds almost identical to mine and I was just wondering what you did to keep your moral and confidence up? I just finished up with my second cycle and thus second round of rejection if I don't get off this silly waitlist (which as summer goes on seems less and less likely). I have accepted that the first time I applied I was not ready and I definitely used it as a learning experience for this second time where I felt much more confident. I fixed some pre-req grades, improved my GRE, expanded my animal experiences, and pursued my master's degree. Honestly now I am crushed. I know so many others who got in and I cannot help but compare myself to them and I just cannot understand. I have always said I wanted to go to vet school but I am not sure I can handle waiting another year to potentially have this same thing happen.....Anyway sorry to bombard you with my whole pathetic story I am just in need of some support resources!!

I dunno that yogapony is around anymore, but ... moral-wise ... take some heart. First time you didn't get in. Second time you got waitlisted, whcih is an improvement. So you moved in the right direction.

Have you asked the schools to which you applied what the biggest deficits were in your application? That would be where I would start. What YOU think your weaknesses are isn't as relevant as what THEY think your weaknesses are.

Don't play the comparison game. There's no comparing. I know people who got in their first try and were all stars in school and I wouldn't trust them to treat a dead scorpion. I know someone who got in on her third try who I would probably ask to treat my own personal pet. There are just too many factors and variables to make comparing yourself to other people who got in worth anything other than heartache and stress.

Reactions: 5 users