How many years in debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that everyone's situation is different, but those of who are in dental school, how many years after graduation do you anticipate being in student debt?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll have roughly $300K in debts by the time I earn my DMD degree. If I continue to specialize in OMS/MD there may be more loans for the two years of medical school (some MD education will be free depending on which residency I get accept to and choose).

I'm aiming to pay back all my debts within 10 years from graduation. I'm planning to use at least 50% of my income pay back towards loans and live conservatively for those 10 years.

Thanks to my gig with the National Guard, I'm expecting to come out with $30,000 debt or so. I should have that paid off in five years or less, with relatively negligible impact on my lifestyle. Here's hoping!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gavin, I agree, but I didn't want to sound too presumptuous. Plus, the Guard paybacks are spread out across three years, so I'll probably plan things so my last Guard payment finishes things off.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
Bill, 5 years for $30,000!?! You should be able to do that in a year or less.

I'll be in about $200k, and plan on paying it all back within 7 years.

Wow in 7 yrs! Is that the norm for people going into dentistry?

Reactions: 1 user
Some do it in 7, many do it within 10. It depends on where your priorities are, I suppose.

It is certainly doable, but that doesn't mean it'll be a "cush" life while I'm doing it.

It's possible to pay back the 200K within 5 years but you'd work 5 maybe 6 days a week for the first year.