how medical schools pick applicants :

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icosahedran

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
mcat : 60 percent
gpa : 40 percent
-----
make tentative ranking
-----
interview : if applicant not crazy, accept, wait list or reject.
-----
nothing else matters.

Members don't see this ad.

-----
make tentative ranking
-----
-----
nothing else matters.

So icosahedran hath spoken, so shall it be done.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
unfortunately, it is just a numbers game, despite what medical schools claim.

If you're applying to top medical schools, its much more than just numbers. They want to build a class and have a wide variety of people with a broad range of experience. I know this sounds stupid....but coming out of the process, its true. A lot of talented students have the numbers, but wont be invited to interview at all top schools or be accepted. I think for those schools...it is really how the applicant conveys who they are and if the med school thinks they will fit and be happy/successful.

Reactions: 1 user
I would think 3/4 years of undergraduate career matter more than a 4 hour exam....

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, beautifully said. Can you post the source or article so that I can further read it proving you wrong a thousand times over?

If you're applying to top medical schools, its much more than just numbers. They want to build a class and have a wide variety of people with a broad range of experience. I know this sounds stupid....but coming out of the process, its true. A lot of talented students have the numbers, but wont be invited to interview at all top schools or be accepted. I think for those schools...it is really how the applicant conveys who they are and if the med school thinks they will fit and be happy/successful.

So only top schools care about other factors to a significant degree?

So only top schools care about other factors to a significant degree?
I'm not entirely sure, but at least from my experience (I'm also MD Class of 2018 :woot:) Some people I knew with great stats with average ECs/experiences didn't get the outcomes they wanted

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure med schools that claim to do "holistic" reviews of every applicant aren't just lying to our faces. Also, "fit" is most important, imo. Ex: I love community service and focused on that during undergrad and did no research. I applied to places that also love community service and undervalue research. People have told me that with my scores, I could apply to top 20 schools. I chose not to apply to any top 20 schools (except WUSTL because it's my alma mater) because I want to go somewhere that has the best "fit" for me.

Reactions: 6 users
-----
make tentative ranking
-----
-----
nothing else matters.

I don't know how this stuff works, but this definitely seems like an oversimplification. I'd imagine medical schools (in general-each is different) screen by numbers quickly, then try to recruit for an interview based on diverse experiences. Inevitably there will be some objectification of this like +2 for non-trad if positive experiences, +2 for student athlete, +3 if from a culture/race not highly represented in pool, From this, they ranks all candidates and invite candidates in waves. (Some like RFU/MCW small pool which seems different). If you've got high numbers, but poor involvement in other activities, you may not be picked. Also, I don't think all schools can be generalized in how they treat interviews. Some admittedly may see them as a formality while others (especially those with the MMI since they get a quantitative aspect) may weigh them as an objective matter in the process. N=1 here, but going into an MMI interview my friend and I both had very similar stats... I think i rocked it while he said he didn't like his, I got an acceptance two days later, he ended up wait listed.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not entirely sure, but at least from my experience (I'm also MD Class of 2018 :woot:) Some people I knew with great stats with average ECs/experiences didn't get the outcomes they wanted

Sorry, I was trying to challenge your implication that only top schools care about other factors. All schools care about factors other than numbers to varying degrees.

But congrats on getting in :) can't wait to start!

99% mcat + gpa 1% - everything else
I'm pretty sure med schools that claim to do "holistic" reviews of every applicant aren't just lying to our faces. Also, "fit" is most important, imo. Ex: I love community service and focused on that during undergrad and did no research. I applied to places that also love community service and undervalue research. People have told me that with my scores, I could apply to top 20 schools. I chose not to apply to any top 20 schools (except WUSTL because it's my alma mater) because I want to go somewhere that has the best "fit" for me.

holistic review seems pretty much they check mcat and gpa then if your scores are good enough they look at the rest of the app

holistic review seems pretty much they check mcat and gpa then if your scores are good enough they look at the rest of the app
yup, and if any of the rest of the app is lacking, it is tossed. GPA and MCAT are just the quickest way to scan through applications. All of it still matters.

No.

MCAT>GPA>Interview

No.

I don't know how this stuff works, but this definitely seems like an oversimplification. I'd imagine medical schools (in general-each is different) screen by numbers quickly, then try to recruit for an interview based on diverse experiences. Inevitably there will be some objectification of this like +2 for non-trad if positive experiences, +2 for student athlete, +3 if from a culture/race not highly represented in pool, From this, they ranks all candidates and invite candidates in waves. (Some like RFU/MCW small pool which seems different). If you've got high numbers, but poor involvement in other activities, you may not be picked. Also, I don't think all schools can be generalized in how they treat interviews. Some admittedly may see them as a formality while others (especially those with the MMI since they get a quantitative aspect) may weigh them as an objective matter in the process. N=1 here, but going into an MMI interview my friend and I both had very similar stats... I think i rocked it while he said he didn't like his, I got an acceptance two days later, he ended up wait listed.

In general, yes.

No.

No.

In general, yes.

how can an admissions committee screen through 5000 applications ?! do you honestly think that a group of people has the time to go through every single application ?!

how can an admissions committee screen through 5000 applications ?! do you honestly think that a group of people has the time to go through every single application ?!

They can and they do, but it depends on the school. It doesn't take that long to skim an application. It doesn't even take that long to thoroughly read an application.

I'm not saying that numbers don't play a role. If you have a 3.2/25 and you choose to apply to a top school, the reader will probably skim the app to see if there's something noteworthy to make up for the numbers, but you will most likely be unsuccessful at that school. But when a school says they look at your application holistically, they're not lying, and there is a group of people who reads through every application, even the ones with horrible numbers.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, we do. If you paid for a secondary and filled it out, a human reads it at my school. Sometimes it just makes us sad, but we read enough to make a decision every time.

Reactions: 14 users
look at it this way : if it is not a numbers game, why are there HARDLY any accepted applicants with a gpa of less than 3.4 and an mcat of less than 26 ?! in reality, what happens is that someone goes through a big pile of files, looks at the numbers first. IF that person has the proper numbers (i.e. gpa at least 3.5 and mcat of at least 30), then they look at the application 'holistically'. In reality, what happens is that medical schools dupe the applicants with the lower stats into thinking that they have a chance, while all they really care about is their secondary application fee. the amcas application is detailed enough, that in reality a secondary is absolutely unnecessary.

look at it this way : if it is not a numbers game, why are there HARDLY any accepted applicants with a gpa of less than 3.4 and an mcat of less than 26 ?! in reality, what happens is that someone goes through a big pile of files, looks at the numbers first. IF that person has the proper numbers (i.e. gpa at least 3.5 and mcat of at least 30), then they look at the application 'holistically'. In reality, what happens is that medical schools dupe the applicants with the lower stats into thinking that they have a chance, while all they really care about is their secondary application fee. the amcas application is detailed enough, that in reality a secondary is absolutely unnecessary.
Holistic review includes evidence of competence. The fact that a significant number of applicants below your stated "proper numbers" are admitted at every school every year indicates that more than mere numbers are involved. The "best" applicant we accepted this cycle had a 29 MCAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
to date, i hardly recall anyone getting in with an a gpa of below 3.4 and an mcat of below 26. if people at your institution do, hats off to you !!

look at it this way : if it is not a numbers game, why are there HARDLY any accepted applicants with a gpa of less than 3.4 and an mcat of less than 26 ?!
Because there are applicants with just as good of ECs (if not better) with a 30+ and 3.6+. That's why. They don't need to choose the guy with a 26 and 3.4.

Numbers are a critical part of the application process, just as the ECs, essays and interview are. Would it make you feel better if they screened by ECs first? Because while it would be significantly more inefficient, it would yield basically the same results.

Because there are applicants with just as good of ECs (if not better) with a 30+ and 3.6+. That's why. They don't need to choose the guy with a 26 and 3.4.
basically this, there are so many qualified applicants that adcoms already have to turn away people with stellar MCATs/GPAs

The majority of people who apply to med school in a given year do not get accepted. There are simply too many applicants and not enough spots. You "hardly" see any accepted applicants with <3.4/26 because of the sheer number of extremely qualified applicants with better stats and better applications. Generally speaking, the people with the excellent overall apps tend to have great stats to go along with them. There are the outliers of course, but that's what holistic review intends to catch. There are some pretty amazing people in my class who may not have gotten in if it was strictly a "numbers game," as their scores fell outside of the typically accepted range for my school.

I can't speak for all schools obviously, but as gyngyn said for her school, every application gets read here, whether you want to believe it or not, whether the person has an MCAT score of 9 or 39.

There's really no way to quantify that.

There's also not one answer that's going to encompass all med schools.

MCAT and GPA are important. ECs are important. Essays are important. It's a multifactorial process and there are going to be people with amazing non-numerical things in their applications that beat people with slightly better numerical stats at most schools. To try and pigeon hole schools into numerical formulae is foolish. It's fine as a first blush guestimate of whether you are in the ballpark, but foolish to put much stock in it otherwise. It jyst doesn't work this way.

-----
-----

Um no. Lots of places taking a quarter or a third of those they interview and frankly only about 1 in a Hundred are crazy. Should be obvious that most of the rejects are people who come off totally normal on interviews, they just didn't shine or sell themselves as well. Interviewing is a learnable Skill. Most don't practice it as much as they should.

There's really no way to quantify that.

I see what you mean but I was just asking what people's personal idea is. Of course there is no exact percentage, but personally if I were to compare I would think for it to be 60:40 or 65:35 in favor of GPA just because its 3 years of classes versus a few months of studying and 1 exam.

Real process: grab 10k applications, toss out 9k. Interview half of the left over people. Accept only those that make your average stats higher than last year. Cycle is then complete.

Real process: grab 10k applications, toss out 9k. Interview half of the left over people. Accept only those that make your average stats higher than last year. Cycle is then complete.

Half right. It's grab 10,000 applications, toss out 9000, interview half... But after that you are totally wrong. These 500 left already havbe great stats -- they are by some measures the best 500. So of the 500 that make the cut, the ones who are a "good fit", particularly in person, are far more likely to get in. Premeds want the stats to be part of te final decision, and be re-visited over and over again. But most adcoms use them for the big cuts early, not the small cuts later. Most places would prefer a class of 3.7/35 superstars over a class of lackluster people who scored 4.0/40. Sorry, squids, but that's just the way it is.

How is it possible that this troll got SDN's finest to waste their time like this?!?

I be all like: :boom:

Pretend you have a 44 MCAT. How are applicants picked?

"MCAT!!!"

Pretend you have a 16 MCAT. How are applicants picked?

"EC's!!!"

Pretend you have a 4.0 GPA. How are applicants picked?

"GPA!!!"

Pretend you have a 2.0 GPA. How are applicants picked?

"EC's!!!"

Pretend you are an adcom who is a real person just like you, has thousands of applications to sift through, doesn't get paid by the personal statement, and wants to get home in time for dinner.

I feel like the MCAT is the fairest way to compare applicants. But who knows?

MD Class of 2017

U mad bro?

Yes, we do. If you paid for a secondary and filled it out, a human reads it at my school. Sometimes it just makes us sad, but we read enough to make a decision every time.
What order do you read it in? An adcom who works for one of the UC's says they look at MCAT and GPA first, then LOR's before reading the personal statement. In what order to you consider the information and after how much do you feel like you have to read before you say "Reject"?

What order do you read it in? An adcom who works for one of the UC's says they look at MCAT and GPA first, then LOR's before reading the personal statement. In what order to you consider the information and after how much do you feel like you have to read before you say "Reject"?
Everyone has their personal preference.
My first glance includes name, school, gpa, MCAT and a brief assessment of their ability to follow simple instructions. I then proceed to the secondary, followed by the primary application, ending with the LOR's.

Reactions: 4 users
My guess is that it really depends on the school and also the tier, but roughly speaking: MCAT> GPA> Extras that stand out/show depth (if really, really stand out...Olympic athlete... that's a different story)> interview> LORs (standard)> standard Extras.

Top-tier schools would probably have so many solid candidates with high MCAT/GPA that the Extras come into play more, so bump up that factor. Just my two cents on it.