How much about current issues are you expected to know for inteviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to keep up to date on these things? The NEJM? The Economist? Nature?

Members don't see this ad.

That's overkill. I went to one school that asked me a number of current events questions (Obamacare, Ebola, state of US healthcare), but other than that I think I only had one school ask me one really generic question about Obamacare and that's it. Maybe I just haven't been to schools that care much about current events, but really all they want is awareness of very, very general/basic issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
One interview I recently had was almost entirely about the current state of healthcare in America. I would be able to speak intelligently and have an opinion that you can substantiate on this (admittedly broad) subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was asked about health care as well—but do not let that scare you, I made the conversation longer than other topics because it was an area I knew more about. If it is something you cannot speak about for hours—do not fret—give a well rounded answer and do not elaborate to a point where you sound ridiculous. Trust me, they do no expect you to be an expert on these things. However, it is also important to sound confident in whatever answer you provide.

For resources on public health issues, I would follow the CDC and Harvard School of Public Health on Twitter. They frequently post great news on current issues, including health care. To learn more about health care, possibly just read the wikipedia page on the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) and browse pages associated with that page! It is a very good way to learn. Additionally, look for news articles every now and then. I may sound like an old person, but I typically read some form of news every morning from 7–8am. It takes a bit of effort to begin the practice, but after you start, you will never want to stop!

That's overkill. I went to one school that asked me a number of current events questions (Obamacare, Ebola, state of US healthcare), but other than that I think I only had one school ask me one really generic question about Obamacare and that's it. Maybe I just haven't been to schools that care much about current events, but really all they want is awareness of very, very general/basic issues.
What did they ask about ebola? virology? transmission and passing the disease? public health emergencies? ethics of helping patients?

I was never asked about any current events (i.e. healthcare) at all. Definitely brush up on your ACA though.

What did they ask about ebola? virology? transmission and passing the disease? public health emergencies? ethics of helping patients?
I don't remember exactly; she asked if I was following the crisis, and I think she asked some generic question about my opinion of the situation. We chatted about the events that were recent at the time (e.g. cases coming to the U.S.).

Chill. The Economist will tell you everything about the world. I would focus specifically on healthcare at the most, however, don't spout partisan viewpoints. I wasn't necessarily asked about healthcare issues, but I personally chose to bring up many issues. I briefly noted that I would like to get involved at the state and/or federal level to promote positive changes (noted some failings in healthcare) in order to better my career, delve into specifics, but briefly to not sound like I was embellishing my answer perse etc.

What's the best way to keep up to date on these things? The NEJM? The Economist? Nature?

You shouldn't have to pretend. Just read the news regularly.

I don't think I was asked any current events questions at all, so it's not a huge deal. A well-rounded person should know what's going on in the world, however.

Last edited:
I was never asked anything about current events, ACA, nothing

Have an opinion on common topics. Be able to have a conversation and defend said opinion.

Not unless you're preparing for a retake of MCAT verbal! :laugh: