How much are you guys spending on your suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I found the perfect suit but it's pretty expensive at $800. My sister offered to get it for me but for some reason I feel it's inappropriate to spend so much on a suit.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was $1,200 when all said and done but its very high quality and due to my build I needed some pretty extensive adjustments made.. Something I felt was worth spending the money on, will be nice to have. Will dominate the suit game at interviews lol

Reactions: 1 user
Mine was over a grand after everything was said and done. It'll last you years so why not invest in some good threads?

That being said most people spent way less and that's just as fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check suit supply.com. You could get a nice one for half that price.

Shop around. Macy's usually has good sales on suits every now and then. I purchased a nice three piece wool suit and dress shirt from them for around $350 during one of their sales. Factor in the a nice pair of Allen Edmonds shoes and a belt (on sale) plus tailoring you're looking at ~ $700-$800 for a full outfit suitable for most occasions.

I wouldn't recommend a three piece suit for an interview though, this was for my wedding. I figured I'll be able to double dip when interviews come along. Just make sure you look presentable and you match. You don't want to end up in one of scumbag_steve's threads.

Check suit supply.com. You could get a nice one for half that price.

Suits should be tried on in person for the fit and then properly tailored.

I found the perfect suit but it's pretty expensive at $800. My sister offered to get it for me but for some reason I feel it's inappropriate to spend so much on a suit.

Trust....it's not inappropriate to spend that much on a suit. It's an investment like the dental application process. I'd recommend looking on nordstrom.com or nordstromrack.com sale section for a nice grey or navy suit that you can use for any occasion. Also, nordstrom stores has in-house tailors for you right when you buy it. Let your sister get it for you because she wants to invest in you and your future profession. You'll thank her in various ways after you're done with dental school.

Go for it, there are things you don't cheap out on in life, and one of them is suits. You're not only going to use it for interviews, but for other occasions. Secondly, it's going to last a VERY long time. So it'll be worth it if you divide the price by the # of years you keep it.

Cheaping out on suits = ****ty quality, looks ****ty (even though people will try to convince you otherwise), made under ****ty conditions... Basically you get what you pay for. You're not buying suits everyday, so if you can afford it, get it.

^ This. And do yourself a favor and get a 100% wool suit and not a poly blend. You'll cook yourself to death if you wear one of those to an interview in one of the warmer states.

I spent <$100 on mine and it's never given me any trouble.

Reactions: 12 users
For suits, fit is more important than material. I 'd rather have a cheap suit but fit me than expensive one but too loose. Expensive or cheap, make sure have it adjusted to your body.

Reactions: 1 users
I spent <$100 on mine and it's never given me any trouble.

My $500 beater car hasn't given me any trouble, but I want to use it for years to come and not drive a beater. Trust me, there is a big difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
My $500 beater car hasn't given me any trouble, but I want to use it for years to come and not drive a beater. Trust me, there is a big difference.

I'm not sure I understand your post- can you please elaborate on the point you are attempting to present?

if you dont have like 10k cash at hand, plz hold off on purchasing a suit + dress shirt + belt + shoes for more than 300$. 300$ after all is reasonable.

when you get accepted, money will go out like a flood. 10-15k will barely cover what you need. when you need more money down the line, you will reflect back upon the 1500$ in the closet now and told yourself why wouldn't you have bought something cheaper and save the rest.

dental school's interviews is not a fashion show. show up clean, neat, and everything will be good.

Reactions: 4 users
I just ordered a suit for $400 yesterday, made to measure. Hopefully it turns out well!

if you dont have like 10k cash at hand, plz hold off on purchasing a suit + dress shirt + belt + shoes for more than 300$. 300$ after all is reasonable..
You'd be hard pressed to find anything decent for that, especially if you're including the dress shirt and shoes. If you're probably going to use your suit again, why not just get it right the first time?

I got a $600 suit for half off. Wonderful deals are all around. Just make sure you get the right fit and the right style.

And, for the love of God and all that is holy don't you ever, ever, ever button the bottom button of your suit jacket. I will hunt you and do wicked things to you with a handpiece.

I just ordered a suit for $400 yesterday, made to measure. Hopefully it turns out well!

You'd be hard pressed to find anything decent for that, especially if you're including the dress shirt and shoes. If you're probably going to use your suit again, why not just get it right the first time?

ull be surprised to find one like that if you look. ill get the good one when I need to wear suit constantly. but from the looks of it, my suit will sit in the closet for 4 years from now on and possibly will be worn for a couple of work interviews.

dental school's interviews is not a fashion show. show up clean, neat, and everything will be good.

This topic gets a lot of noise but it honestly doesn't matter at all. I got 6 acceptances in a $175 Men's Wearhouse suit that I wore to a few second interviews of Fri/Mon back to back type situations without ironing. I even wore a brown belt with black to my last interview and just kept the jacked on so nobody would see. I swear the suit industry has us all duped and are playing us for suckers. It's what's under the suit that matters, not the suit itself, and if the school can't see that, then why would you want to attend there in the first place?

Double mic drop.

Reactions: 3 users
I paid $250 for a suit from Macy's, went and got it tailored at a local shop from an extra $60 or so, great investment.

I bought a $20 tie, a $700 Ralph Lauren suit for only $225, $50 dress shirt, and $84 Rockport dress shoes for my interviews.

Edit: $25 for alterations.

I got a $600 suit for half off. Wonderful deals are all around. Just make sure you get the right fit and the right style.

And, for the love of God and all that is holy don't you ever, ever, ever button the bottom button of your suit jacket. I will hunt you and do wicked things to you with a handpiece.
Worse than the bottom button were the people who forgot to cut the big X vent stitching lol

Yea I think I only spent around $175 for my interview suit? ($20 tie + $25 shirt + $50 pants + $80 jacket) It was from Express and slim fit. I made sure it looked good by asking various people and it wasn't really a problem for any of my interviews.

Sure suits are an investment but as long as you look presentable and professional, I don't think interviewers will prioritize the guy with the $800 suit over a person with a $200 suit. Unless your body proportions are abnormal, you can usually find clothes that will fit you without having to make significant alterations.

Last edited:
499from 5th off ck I remember. my body shape is wired I think … it's not easy for me to find a cheaper one to fit my body shape…

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

A little piece of advice from a second yr medical student. Find a suit on deal at Nordstrom for around $200. Gracefully accept the 800 from your sister. Save $600 for when you are a poor student living on loans. I spent $150 on my suit after all the discounts and got into every school I interviewed at. When you graduate make it a point to buy yourself a nice expensive suit to celebrate your achievement.

Sent from my SM-N920T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I remember my suit before dental school was from dillards. So far from the custom suits I have now haha.

A $200 suit is probably more than enough. The interviewers are well experienced to look past appearances and look for substance in what comes out of your mouth!
After the tiresome interview season, you will hang the suit up for good, and by the end of medschool, you can only pray to God that you stay in shape to fit in that still :)

I know this is a little of topic, but is there a recommended suit color (black vs navy)?

I wouldn't spend more than $200 bucks on one. Fashion trends change overtime, and suits are no exception. Get one on the cheap side and use the money you save to have it tailored. A cheap good fitting suit will beat any ill fitting high end one any day.

762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f.jpg

But really, I spent maybe $200.

So I have various suits, but I recently bought a new one for interviews. It was a BarIII suit from Macys that was on sale for 300ish. I think the most important factor is getting it tailored to your body. Most suits will not fit perfectly off the rack, but a bit of tailoring can make an okay suit look great. You just need to make sure that it is a modern--yet professional--cut. Also, you need to make sure the material is worsted wool. Linen or synthetic suits stand out as unprofessional.

I agree with the guys that mentioned suit styles changing. Suit styles change WAY more than you realize. Yeah the basic idea is the same but can't you look at an old guy in a suit and recognize how dated it is? Look at this famous comparison of NBA players suits from 2003 versus 2013.
upload_2016-10-26_19-57-4.png

How were baggy suits ever a thing? Every one of them looks like they bought these for a court date.

Bottom pic not only showcases fine suits, but nicely tailored suits. That's the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

$650 Calvin Klein extra slim suite on sale at Lord & Taylor for $125. Get compliments all the time.

Keep shopping around. I got a deal, 2 suits for $400. They are slim-fitting, the exact colors I wanted. Wouldn't have bought a suit for more than $200 or so.

I have only heard horror stories about mismatched socks or poor choice in tie patterns being used as a measure for future clinical competence in medical surgical residencies. I think dental programs are a lot less picky about that sort of thing.

Women's suit obviously, but I spent less than $100. Got accepted to every school I interviewed at. Couldn't imagine spending $800 on one...

You're better off with a cheaper suit that fits well. Just make sure you're not swimming in it and you'll be fine. I spent $350. $800 seems excessive especially if you lift and/or are gaining/losing weight.