How much can an NBME score improve in 3 weeks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UniqueDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say I did an NBME and only scored enough to do a little better than a pass on the USMLE.
If I delay my exam and study 3 weeks hardcore doing qbank and first aid...how much could I improve?

Please let me know

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say I did an NBME and only scored enough to do a little better than a pass on the USMLE.
If I delay my exam and study 3 weeks hardcore doing qbank and first aid...how much could I improve?

Please let me know

Depends on your problem. Do you have a knowledge gap or are you just not good at practice questions?

If it's the former, you need to read First Aid like crazy the next 3 weeks. If it's the latter, you need to spend 75% of your time doing UWorld questions, and the rest, reviewing First Aid.

If you know First Aid fairly well, you'll easily pass. If you know First Aid and can do fairly well in UWorld >60%, you'll hit 230.

thanks, I appreciate your answer. well at the point of taking the nbme i hadn't yet finished first aid. I'm in my second round of uworld questions, and i think going over uworld at least 2 times and reading the answers will put me on the right track. im doing 2/3 first aid and 1/3rd questions right now. three weeks to go!!! i'll be studying like crazy. I'll even try to do first aid more than 2 times if I get the chance. formulas are a killer for me. i always blank out wen i get questions with formulas. time to get cracking on those!!

Please let me know

It depends on where you are in your studying. If you just started studying a week or so ago, then I would say you could go up as much as 50 points.

However, if you have been studying for a few months, at most I would guess you could only go up 20 or so points