How much can you make ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much can you make owning an urgent care center? Can you make as much as working the ED?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
this thread was going nowhere until Quinn dropped the F McF bomb. I'm crying, truly crying :D

allendo said:
How much can you make owning an urgent care center? Can you make as much as working the ED?

How much can you make owning an In-n-Out Burger? Can you make as much as working in the ED?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you offer emergency care "animal-style?"

bemused said:
How much can you make owning an In-n-Out Burger? Can you make as much as working in the ED?
Dude if you got the $ to own an In-n-out... you don't need to work and YES an In-n-out would make Poopload more than being an ER doc, owning an urgent care and whole lota other jobs.

PS Quinn: Fatty McFatty Stinky Pants :p

what's with everybody turning their nose up at people asking for salary estimates?

everybody here is kidding themselves if they say don't want to know a good estimate...

organichemistry said:
what's with everybody turning their nose up at people asking for salary estimates?

everybody here is kidding themselves if they say don't want to know a good estimate...

WHAAAAAAAAAAA? I don't think anyone was actually "turning their nose up" at the estimate. It is just that without knowing what the overhead and business model is NO ONE could make even close to an accurate estimate on the comparison between owning an urgent care and working for a salary in an ER. It really depends on how good of a business person the doc is etc. etc. If you want to see average salary for different docs there are PLEANTY of resources you can look at.

Ryan said:
WHAAAAAAAAAAA? I don't think anyone was actually "turning their nose up" at the estimate. It is just that without knowing what the overhead and business model is NO ONE could make even close to an accurate estimate on the comparison between owning an urgent care and working for a salary in an ER. It really depends on how good of a business person the doc is etc. etc. If you want to see average salary for different docs there are PLEANTY of resources you can look at.

ah, okay. it seems whenever someone mentions salary on any of SDN's boards, they get crucified for it.

organichemistry said:
ah, okay. it seems whenever someone mentions salary on any of SDN's boards, they get crucified for it.

Because the same question is asked time after time after time - and, like this OP, the same person asks the same question time after time. Half the people here will make light of it or derail the conversation (since, as Ryan said, there are PLENTY of resources available for this information), and the other half will just not say anything. Occasionally, you'll get the lurkers that contribute nothing piping in, saying what you said.

organichemistry said:

Salary is minimally important in the bigger picture. Everyone who graduates from medical school, completes a residency and then works as a BE/BC physician will make enough money to cover all their needs and many of their wants (well, depending on what it is you want).

What's the point of asking? Do you want to know who makes the most? Is the bank balance your most important criteria for specialty selection?

If you want to ask a question that would probably garner more SDN respect, read a thread like docb's on cost of homeless care or maybe this thread of docb's or even this thread from docb (seeing a trend here...) --- then go look up the average EP salary (lots of resources for this) then come back and ask, "Considering what you make ($123,456.78), is it worth it? Gas and IR make more than EPs - would you be interested in changing specialties to raise you salary?"

Until then, I reserve the right to talk about loftier subjects.

Speaking of making money - has anyone seem this incredibly disturbing scam?

bemused said:
Salary is minimally important in the bigger picture. Everyone who graduates from medical school, completes a residency and then works as a BE/BC physician will make enough money to cover all their needs and many of their wants (well, depending on what it is you want).

What's the point of asking? Do you want to know who makes the most? Is the bank balance your most important criteria for specialty selection?

If you want to ask a question that would probably garner more SDN respect, read a thread like docb's on cost of homeless care or maybe this thread of docb's or even this thread from docb (seeing a trend here...) --- then go look up the average EP salary (lots of resources for this) then come back and ask, "Considering what you make ($123,456.78), is it worth it? Gas and IR make more than EPs - would you be interested in changing specialties to raise you salary?"

Until then, I reserve the right to talk about loftier subjects.

Speaking of making money - has anyone seem this incredibly disturbing scam?

Forgive me for wanting to payback 100k in loans, raise my kids, build a home, a life, and retire at a decent age and help my kids go to college. So yes unless you come from money, which I did'nt then salary is a deciding factor. I'm not greedy!!!!!

allendo said:
Forgive me for wanting to payback 100k in loans, raise my kids, build a home, a life, and retire at a decent age and help my kids go to college. So yes unless you come from money, which I did'nt then salary is a deciding factor. I'm not greedy!!!!!

I agree with you. Although I think salary should not be the primary consideration, you should know EXACTLY what you should expect in terms of salary, lifestyle, working hours etc. before deciding on a specialty.

Being a doctor is not volunteer work, it's a career. Like all careers one should be sure one wants to do it before embarking on the lengthy training to get there.

I always got angry through medical school when instructors would chastise students for talking about salaries in given specialties. We were told that medicine was purely altruistic, and money should not be an issue. Wrong.

GeneralVeers said:
We were told that medicine was purely altruistic, and money should not be an issue. Wrong.

I'm with you. When the average medical student can get through school with less than 100K in debt, THEN we can talk altruism.

I just closed on a home. My mortgage, typically an American's largest source of debt, wasn't even close to my student loans. Sigh...

Take care,
Jeff

allendo said:

Where do you get me calling you greedy? Did you even look at the threads I linked to? The ones entitled "Cost of Unisured On EPs" - "EM Reimbursement" - "Getting Sued for the Homeless in the ER" ??? If you want to build a life, raise kids and have any quality of life, these are issues that you might want to think about, in addition to the size of your paycheck. That's ALL that I was saying. Chill a bit.

The post that you are reacting to was an answer to organic's question about your OP not getting much respect. My point was simply that "How much can I make?" is a common question, and that is why other posters were having fun with it. I agree with you; salary IS a factor, but it more relevant when viewed as a cost:benefit ratio, such as salary:liability, salary:frustration level, salary:lifestyle. Those threads don't get the responses that upset organic.

allendo said:

January, 2002 - Present SPECIALTY
Emergency Medicine
Years 1-2: $192,000
>3: $216,000
Max: $295,000
FP - Urgent Care
Years 1-2: $128,000
>3: $198,000
Max: $299,000

There's a list of decent length at http://www.allied-physicians.com/salary_surveys/physician-salaries.htm. It was the first link that came up when I googled "physician salary". There is probably more out there.

GeneralVeers said:
Although I think salary should not be the primary consideration, you should know EXACTLY what you should expect in terms of salary, lifestyle, working hours etc. before deciding on a specialty.

This is the same thing I was saying, just put in different words.

January, 2002 - Present SPECIALTY
Emergency Medicine
Years 1-2: $192,000
>3: $216,000
Max: $295,000
FP - Urgent Care
Years 1-2: $128,000
>3: $198,000
Max: $299,000

Keep in mind that the salaries frequently fail to include benefits which can range to over 120K in value when medical, disability, pension CME etc are included, packages for EM of $350K-400K+ are not uncommon in the private world of community EM.

Paul

Having worked in a few states now, I'd say that the numbers cited on salary.com are pretty accurate. I've made about the average what they cite in the markets I've worked in.

Re: the Urgent Care clinic option, you can't rich working in one, but you can get rich owning and operating a whole lot of them. Most of them seem to be staffed by NP's and owned by physicians in my neck of the woods.

sunnyjohn said:
Just get these folks to "sell" you a franchise...

http://www.carenow.com/

:luck:
That would be nice!! A FP doc in my hometown converted his practice into something like this! He has PA's and NP's and they stay open until 11 at night

Jeff698 said:

I just closed on a home. My mortgage, typically an American's largest source of debt, wasn't even close to my student loans. Sigh...

Take care,
Jeff
That is plan wrong

i worked as a PA in the ER before going to med school. this was a busy community hospital 65K visits per year. level 2/3 trauma center.
docs salary, etc.
hourly wage $110/hr (228K/yr-40hr/wk)
bonus about 10% of salary
401K contribution 10%
CME $2500/yr
vaca only 70hrs but supposedly on the way up to 105
top notch health insurance cost about $600/month
there was also the standard disability and life
it all totals to about 280K+ for a 40hr work week.