How much debt do you have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunFree1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have been talking to several veterinary students and it seems like their debt loads are all over the place! Some only have $100,000 while others have upwards of $300,000 (all people from the same reasonably priced US school). I would like to graduate with as little debt as possible so any advice would be greatly appreciated from the people who managed to have less debt. I would like to shoot for $100,000-$120,000 after veterinary school. I have greatly reduced my spending and have been working for extra money to graduate with less debt. I am even in the process of selling my horse because of the expense :( Trying to save as much money as possible is so stressful! Student debt stresses me out more than the academics of veterinary school, my grades, the hard work, or the vast amount of time put into this career. I just want to know if its possible to graduate with less debt then the projected numbers currently so I would like to speak to real people to get an idea.

For all the pre-vets: how much debt do you think you have accumulated in undergrad?

For the vet students: how much projected debt do you think you will end up with?

Veterinarians: what are your payments like and is it hard to keep up every month?

For the people with less debt how did you manage to keep your debt down? Scholarships? Jobs while in vet school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I have been talking to several veterinary students and it seems like their debt loads are all over the place! Some only have $100,000 while others have upwards of $300,000 (all people from the same reasonably priced US school). I would like to graduate with as little debt as possible so any advice would be greatly appreciated from the people who managed to have less debt. I would like to shoot for $100,000-$120,000 after veterinary school. I have greatly reduced my spending and have been working for extra money to graduate with less debt. I am even in the process of selling my horse because of the expense :( Trying to save as much money as possible is so stressful! Student debt stresses me out more than the academics of veterinary school, my grades, the hard work, or the vast amount of time put into this career. I just want to know if its possible to graduate with less debt then the projected numbers currently so I would like to speak to real people to get an idea.

For all the pre-vets: how much debt do you think you have accumulated in undergrad?

For the vet students: how much projected debt do you think you will end up with?

Veterinarians: what are your payments like and is it hard to keep up every month?

For the people with less debt how did you manage to keep your debt down? Scholarships? Jobs while in vet school?

If you can stay at your in state vet school (if you have one) that is the easiest way to cut down on your debt level.

I do not have an in state vet school... so I am going to be around $350,000 in debt including vet school and undergrad debt (I believe, could be close to 400K).

Unfortunately, there is no one easy "how to reduce vet school debt" option. Being in state helps the most. If you have someone that can pay your outside of school living expenses (rent, etc) then that would help. If you can get scholarships for undergrad that would help. There are vet school scholarships but those are harder to come by. Working during undergrad can help some.

Basically.... pray that you win the lottery.

Hey everyone,

Some of the variation is probably due to whether or not people already had debt from undergrad. I'm fortunate enough that I won't, so (hopefully) that will put me a little towards the lower end of the spectrum. Reducing your spending and trying to save is a good idea. Maybe try to get yourself used to budgeting, so you'll already have good spending habits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, there is no one easy "how to reduce vet school debt" option. Being in state helps the most. If you have someone that can pay your outside of school living expenses (rent, etc) then that would help. If you can get scholarships for undergrad that would help. There are vet school scholarships but those are harder to come by. Working during undergrad can help some.

I agree with everything DVMD said. I am a senior vet student and will have an estimated 60,000 of debt after graduation.

I go to my in-state school and that is the main reason I have so little. I had no undergraduate debt. I had enough scholarships that I actually made money during undergrad when all my scholarships had been paid out each semester because I lived in a crappy apartment with a roommate, kept living expenses down, drive a car that is paid off, etc...but all the money I lived on came from scholarships back then. I did 3 years undergrad but since many of my scholarships were 4 year awards, I had my first year of vet school's tuition mostly paid for between the yearly scholarships and the refunded money I'd saved from past semesters and full-time summer jobs. Now that I'm in vet school, my parents pay all my living expenses (rent, phone, bills, etc) and I worked about 10 hours a week all through undergrad and until starting clinics in April to keep loans down. I got a couple really nice scholarships during vet school too, which have helped a lot.

I have one friend who is in-state at my school and her parents are paying the whole thing for her. But my other friend is relying completely on loans and will have almost 250,000. Some of it is how frugally you live, whether you just take out the maximum loans or actually sit down and budget what you'll need, even the number of pets you have, whether you have a spouse/parents to support you, etc. It's really dependent on your individual situation and circumstances.

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up with ~150,000 after the interest on my loans consolidated post-graduation. I went to my in-state school. Spouse's job paid for living expenses, but the vet school is in my home town, so I would have been living at home if I hadn't been married. Part of our debt is also loans for hubby's bachelors and masters degrees, and a little bit that we took out as extra for emergency repairs around the house and on cars. I didn't have any debt from undergrad. If it weren't for rolling hubby's loans into mine, and that little bit of extra my debt would have been closer to 90,000.

Things that help regardless of circumstances: Budget and live as frugally as possible. If you are paying for your own living expenses, plan on living with a roommate. If you are used to spending money on fun stuff, start cutting back now so it isn't a shock when you do hit vet school. I know a few people who tried to stop eating out, going to movies, buying fun games/clothes/hobbies/etc cold turkey and they were miserable. (Also recognize that you will need to allow yourself some fun stuff or that will also burn you out, but make sure it fits your budget). If you can manage it, plan to not have pets. And save as much as possible in advance.

Overall, my loan payments will be well within the realm of possible to pay off in the normal 10 year time frame, but that also has a lot to do with the fact that we have a two income household. If I were just looking at my income alone, my loan payment is about 70% of my starting income per month, and I would almost definitely be relying on some kind of income based repayment program to be able to afford basic living expenses.

I'll have ~$50k of debt total (3 years undergrad + 4 years vet school) to pay back when I graduate next year. I'm very fortunate that I got into my in-province school where tuition is subsidized by the government. Not buying a vehicle has probably been the best way to save money for me, it saves at least a couple thousand per year in insurance and gas alone. I live near campus (<5 min walk) and rely on public transit instead. I have a $35/month phone plan (only includes 400 mb data but I use wifi most of the time anyway). I try and save money on groceries by going through the flyers and stocking up on things when they're on sale, price matching, etc. During summer breaks I work full time but I'm planning on specializing so I try to focus on academics during the school year. I've won several scholarships in vet school too, which have helped immensely.

My loans totalled ~$15,000 for my 3 years of undergrad. By the time I'm done vet school I expect to have $50,000 of debt total.
I've been fortunate enough to receive scholarships every year that have paid for 25-50% of my tuition and what I have taken out in student loans have been for tuition only. I have a spouse who pays for all day to day living expenses which I am extremely thankful for. I also worked at a part time job for my first two years of undergrad to cover travel costs (1.5 - 2 hour commute daily).
I expect to have paid back all my loans within three years of graduating.

Wow! I wish those numbers were true for me! Just one year's tuition is 57,000. I do have money saved up to live off of for the next four years, but when I am done it will be close to 300,000. (I bought my first lottery ticket yesterday lol)

These threads hurt to think about. I wracked up about $40,000 in undergrad loans, but I worked full time for 4 years after undergrad and got those down to about $26,000. Then of course vet school started and unfortunately my in state school is MN with one of the highest IS tuitions (it would have been cheaper for me to go OOS all 4 years at UW-Madison). I didn't take out the max allotted to me, "just" the $40,500 one (no grad plus loans here). I did get a job during the school year working about 5-10 hours a week during evenings which helps a tiny bit and I do have some savings "just in case." I'm ending this year with about $2,500 left in the bank plus another job with more stable hours (22 hours every other weekend) so that should cut down the amount of loans I'll need for next year.

All in all, with $26k from undergrad, plus $41k x 4 years vet school (averaging though 4th year will be more due to summer session), I'm looking at minimum $190K in loans when I graduate.

Ouchies.

I went to a vet school with one of the most (if not the most) expensive in state tuition costs. I also did not have anyone paying for living expenses. My vet school loans total about $215,000. And I have about $10,000 left in undergrad debt.

I am using IBR to pay it off, and my payment is $400/month. Even though it's IBR, that's a lot of money for what I make. My plan is to pay for 10 years and then use PSLF, but I'm terrified that program won't be around in 9 years.

Has anyone considered the Army Vet Corps? I've been looking into it and it seems like it might be a good fit for me. It would also nearly eliminate any debt.

I just calculated mine, I'll have $30,000-ish from undergrad (and that's graduating a semester early) and I'm expecting $150,000 from vet school, so up around $180,000 after I graduate.

So some crazy circumstances have greatly affected my debt load. My parents paid for undergrad (so lucky, I know). My great uncle passed away a little while ago and he was filthy rich, so my inheritance was used to offset my vet school loans. I have not needed to take out anything past first year (which is still a hefty 80k). Without this, I would have owed ~250k. Also, I was in a car accident in March and we're in the process of suing the other driver's insurance company. I may end up with a significant reward, so that will go to the 80k that I've already taken out. Crazy circumstances, but I may be graduating vet school with no debt (completely unexpected). That's if I can finish vet school at this point...ugh :/

I feel for everyone with a lot of debt. I don't know how vet school ended up in this situation, but it's super unfortunate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every single day I regret my decision to go to vet school. I wish I had found a different career that I enjoyed where I could earn a good living doing something enjoyable, and yet have the time to enjoy my own personal pets at home.

I had no undergrad debt. I went to my IS school and took out the max federal loans (40,500) all 4 years (except the first year I took out a few thousand less as I was living with my fiance at that time). With accruing interest, by the time I graduated my loans exceeded $200,000. They continue to accrue interest at a rate of about $1000 per month (fixed 6.8%). I'm on a fixed 25 year repayment plan and I pay $1450 each month for the next 25 years. Even if you have good credit, this kind of debt:income ratio can make it extremely difficult/impossible to get loans in the future for buying a home, or even a car.

If it can be avoided, I encourage EVERYONE to avoid IBR/PAYE. With the kind of debt load most students carry, those monthly payments won't even cover your accruing interest and your balance will continue to rise, not fall. At the end of the 20 years you will be taxed on the amount forgiven, which will add up to many tens of thousands of dollars.

Unless you are independently wealthy, I would run far away from vet med. The oversupply of DVMs and astronomical loans do not make the career worth it. DVM's probably have the worst return on investment of any professional career.

Every single day I regret my decision to go to vet school. I wish I had found a different career that I enjoyed where I could earn a good living doing something enjoyable, and yet have the time to enjoy my own personal pets at home.

I had no undergrad debt. I went to my IS school and took out the max federal loans (40,500) all 4 years (except the first year I took out a few thousand less as I was living with my fiance at that time). With accruing interest, by the time I graduated my loans exceeded $200,000. They continue to accrue interest at a rate of about $1000 per month (fixed 6.8%). I'm on a fixed 25 year repayment plan and I pay $1450 each month for the next 25 years. Even if you have good credit, this kind of debt:income ratio can make it extremely difficult/impossible to get loans in the future for buying a home, or even a car.

If it can be avoided, I encourage EVERYONE to avoid IBR/PAYE. With the kind of debt load most students carry, those monthly payments won't even cover your accruing interest and your balance will continue to rise, not fall. At the end of the 20 years you will be taxed on the amount forgiven, which will add up to many tens of thousands of dollars.

Unless you are independently wealthy, I would run far away from vet med. The oversupply of DVMs and astronomical loans do not make the career worth it. DVM's probably have the worst return on investment of any professional career.

Isn't law getting pretty bad too? I don't have any numbers to back it up besides what pre-law students have told me.

Also, does anyone know someone who elected NOT to attend vet school solely because of the financial burden? How do they feel about not living out their dream/goal? I'm the type of person who assumes I'll regret something for the rest of my life.

Has anyone considered the Army Vet Corps? I've been looking into it and it seems like it might be a good fit for me. It would also nearly eliminate any debt.

Any military service is going to be a good deal to knock down tuition.

I don't know a lot about the army side specifically, but I do know they have a lot of opportunities to do varied work. We have one at the Air Force base I work at. He spends a lot of time doing routine GP stuff, however, he also works with the military dogs as well. Deployed vets do a lot of food supply work protecting not only the service members, but working with deployed host nationals teaching them how to protect their food supplies.

Another good option is just doing 4 years of active duty service to get eligibility for the Post 9/11 G.I. bill and tuition assistance. Tuition assistance would pay for undergrad classes. This depends a lot on your job and ability to attend class though. Science classes can be extremely difficult to take while you are on active duty. The Post 9/11 G.I. Bill is basically a full ride scholarship to an in-state public college, even for something as expensive as Veterinary School. I haven't been able to find any good information on how things would play out if you try going out-of-state to a public school.

To put it in perspective, you trade 4 years to make a $130,000 down-payment vs getting loans and paying $130,000 plus another $175,000 in interest over 30 years. (note: this is using approximate numbers for a school like Iowa State).

Last edited:

This gives me the sads.

I was rejected from my IS this year and accepted OOS so I went to the IS admissions manager for a file review. One thing I brought up to him is that I was thinking about declining my OOS seat to retry for IS for financial reasons and he said to me that schools would not offer OOS seats if they didn't think students would be able to afford it after graduation. I was a little shocked. I think that the fact that IBR and PAYE exist demonstrate that, in fact, the debt load is unbearable. I didn't bring that up I just took it as his way of saying you're better off taking this sure thing.

He also said that although the starting salary for a veterinarian is relatively low, salaries increase quickly. I have no idea if this has any truth to it. Probably some truth, but not enough to make a huge difference.

Truth is, those are scary stats. Yeah, vets get paid a helluva lot less than they should, but that's the way it is right now. I know that I'll be 5 feet in the financial grave, but I'm definitely taking my senior year to teach myself how to budget for and beyond vet school so I can better handle the debt load.

This gives me the sads.

I was rejected from my IS this year and accepted OOS so I went to the IS admissions manager for a file review. One thing I brought up to him is that I was thinking about declining my OOS seat to retry for IS for financial reasons and he said to me that schools would not offer OOS seats if they didn't think students would be able to afford it after graduation. I was a little shocked. I think that the fact that IBR and PAYE exist demonstrate that, in fact, the debt load is unbearable. I didn't bring that up I just took it as his way of saying you're better off taking this sure thing.

He also said that although the starting salary for a veterinarian is relatively low, salaries increase quickly. I have no idea if this has any truth to it. Probably some truth, but not enough to make a huge difference.
not that quickly.

Truth is, those are scary stats. Yeah, vets get paid a helluva lot less than they should, but that's the way it is right now. I know that I'll be 5 feet in the financial grave, but I'm definitely taking my senior year to teach myself how to budget for and beyond vet school so I can better handle the debt load.
Unfortunately at this level of debt it's really not a matter of budgeting...

Isn't law getting pretty bad too? I don't have any numbers to back it up besides what pre-law students have told me.

Also, does anyone know someone who elected NOT to attend vet school solely because of the financial burden? How do they feel about not living out their dream/goal? I'm the type of person who assumes I'll regret something for the rest of my life.
Yes, there have been at least a handful on this forum over the past few years.

I don't mean to be a debbie downer but this program is really tough to get in to. They take about 2 people a year per vet school on average, and it's a hell of a commitment. Particularly considering the current climate across the pond...

EDIT
Oh I guess I could address the original topic too, huh.

I've got about $120k in loans right now, with 2 years left to go. This includes whatever I had left over from undergrad.
I'm a pretty positive person in general, but the financial burden of veterinary school and the job prospects post-graduation are not good. They're really not good.

Everyone has dreams that will never be realized and goals they will never reach.....sometimes it's about work, sometimes it's about finances, sometimes it's about love, sometimes it's about family. No one gets everything they've ever dreamed of, and no one gets every goal they've set for themselves, so don't think your life will be ruined or a failure if you don't do what you've always dreamed about. While dreams and goals are good, don't let the fear of not fulfilling a dream keep you from looking at options, weighing the pros and cons (costs and benefits), and thinking outside the box.

I'll be around $100,000 when I graduate in May. It's stupid scary amount that came about via a variety of reasons (socioeconomic status of my family, few scholarships available, lack of work available, not knowing what I wanted to do right away so took a few years of school I probably didn't need to, higher tuition in my province, etc etc). I do plan on pursuing repayment assistance though which will substantially decrease my payments, and I should get some substantial tax returns for a few years which I'm hoping I can put directly onto my loans. I do need to find out if being a residency qualifies as being in school though.

I certainly don't mean to be all gloom and doom but the reality is shocking. I have no problem talking about my financial situation, especially if it can help others to avoid making the same mistakes that I did. That is a mistake that I will be paying for for a very long time.

I will have about $60k total when all is said and done. I went IS with no undergrad debt. I still question it some, but I'm glad to be on the low end of things. I would like to pay as much as possible per month and try to knock it down as best as I can... we'll see.

Warning: :hijacked:

Also, does anyone know someone who elected NOT to attend vet school solely because of the financial burden? How do they feel about not living out their dream/goal?

<raising hand> Me. I went back to school and took all the prereqs to apply a few years ago...up until that point I was able to reason that it's what I truly wanted to do so the numbers weren't as important. When the application time became REAL to me, I sat down and did the numbers. To make it worse, I only want(ed) to be an equine vet, which we all know make diddly squat coming out of school (and maybe ever). Anyway, I realized that I would be giving up a lot of things to go to vet school (now and in the future) due to the debt, and there are a ton of things I still want to do in life. Thankfully, I was lucky to stumble upon something that interests me as much as vet medicine and am finishing up my Masters this December with no debt.

Ironically, about 3 weeks ago I decided I was going to apply IS only this year to see if I could even get in (runs along that whole no regrets thing - and yes I would have gone if accepted); the very next day my husband was approached about the perfect job in the area we really want to end up living. Now he may not get this job, but it was enough to make me realize that vet school is just not the most important thing to me anymore. And I really think you have to be beyond dedicated to enter this profession (for vet school and the actual career).

I have to say that even though I've decided to officially shelf the idea of vet school forever, I have a much greater respect for my vets and am usually happier to pay those large bills that my horses seem to add up. I'll also continue to learn more about vet medicine as it applies to my own animals...that thirst for knowledge definitely does not go away. For me there will always be a tiny regret, because I feel like I haven't fulfilled my full potential (don't care if that sounds cheesy). But at 30 years old, I've realized that I do not want to be tied down by that amount of debt so I am definitely one that decided not to pursue vet school due to the financial part. But I still stick around these forums some (a less so lately unfortunately), because I have yet to find another forum online where the people are as honest, caring and just awesome as these are on here.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 5 users
These threads are horribly depressing, but I try to just stay as positive as I can, and realize the fact that I'll never have a lot of money. My husband will have a high-income job and I can only hope that'll help offset my lack of a paycheck (after loans come out).

I will probably be in about $250K of debt when I get out of school (undergrad, Masters, and DVM). It makes me sick to my stomach, but in the end it will be worth it. (Fingers crossed that my car lasts the next 4yrs)

It does make want to start saving for my future children, so they will not have to go through the same thing.

Somewhat related, but I am doing some financial aid stuff today and am so pissed our interest rates went up....WTF?!?!? grrrrrrrr :boom::diebanana::beat::barf::scared::arghh:

My loan payment is 40% of my take home pay. Which seriously sucks. But- I was lucky to find a job with a good salary and an even better benefits package (vehicle, phone, uniforms, all insurances/fees, pet care, etc) that helps minimize my living expenses. I get a raise in four months and all of that will be extra money to go towards loans, as will any other raises/bonuses. I get a large CE allowance and plan on doing local CE so the rest of that allowance will go towards loans.
I'm enrolled in IBR as a safety net but plan on throwing every extra cent I have towards loans, and should be able to make the regular payment amount most months. We will see.... Hoping I can get everything paid off in 10-15 years.

These threads are horribly depressing, but I try to just stay as positive as I can, and realize the fact that I'll never have a lot of money. My husband will have a high-income job and I can only hope that'll help offset my lack of a paycheck (after loans come out).
this is probably not a good idea. I'd work out the math.

putting blinders on just furthers the problem

I graduated with just under $140 k in debt. I'm married and he has a decent income but my debt burden is high.

this is probably not a good idea. I'd work out the math.

putting blinders on just furthers the problem

I graduated with just under $140 k in debt. I'm married and he has a decent income but my debt burden is high.
Are you guys able to live a decent lifestyle? We have both been in school for about 6 years and have lived off of ~25k a year (minus tuition). That is more than enough for us to pay all the bills. Of course, we are not making payments on student debt right now but my point is we are used to and comfortable with a low income. I know I will accumulate more debt to our already existing debt from undergrad, but I feel like it is worth it and will be doable to pay off.

I know many people have said their goals and priorities at 30 or 40 are much different than they were in their early 20s. Is this because of more financial pressure at that age (ie. kids, mortgage, retirement, etc)?

How do you fare with your debt- is it as crippling as it is made to seem?

Thanks for your honesty with my above comment.

Are you guys able to live a decent lifestyle? We have both been in school for about 6 years and have lived off of ~25k a year (minus tuition). That is more than enough for us to pay all the bills. Of course, we are not making payments on student debt right now but my point is we are used to and comfortable with a low income. I know I will accumulate more debt to our already existing debt from undergrad, but I feel like it is worth it and will be doable to pay off.

I know many people have said their goals and priorities at 30 or 40 are much different than they were in their early 20s. Is this because of more financial pressure at that age (ie. kids, mortgage, retirement, etc)?

How do you fare with your debt- is it as crippling as it is made to seem?

Thanks for your honesty with my above comment.
we live an ok lifestyle. we were both fortunate to not have undergrad debt. We did end up buying a house - down payment was a gift from my parents - because at that time, mortgage was cheaper than rent. and we dont have kids, so that changes things, too. but we both HAVE to keep working to make ends meet

I think something a lot of pre-vets don't realize about the Army program (or just me...) is that you are an actual member of the military. Also read as: you must pass physical tests to qualify (last I checked), devote your school breaks to military training (not sure about holidays), and most likely be stationed overseas/dangerous areas for the years you owe. I researched it very heavily, but I know it is not a good fit for me. I do not have any interest in pursuing a higher career in the Veterinary Corps and I know some of my medical issues would bar me from service anyways. If you are fit for that lifestyle, it is an incredible and extremely competitive opportunity.

I think, if I do not get in after my third (maybe fourth...) try (my next application will be my second), I will look into an advanced degree in nutrition. One of the few classes I TRULY learned in and was attentive throughout (both human and animal nutrition). Zoos are my passion, and if I am not able to provide medical care, I'd be thrilled to provide good nutrition to those critters.

One thing that I have highly been considering is going into a specialty, because the projected incomes of a specialist is much higher than that of a general practitioner. Thoughts? Or am I still heading down a debt-filled road no matter what I do?

One thing that I have highly been considering is going into a specialty, because the projected incomes of a specialist is much higher than that of a general practitioner. Thoughts? Or am I still heading down a debt-filled road no matter what I do?
they also require more training years

I know. Typically a one-year internship and three-year residency. Pay during those times fluctuate, it's long hours, and a ton of hard work and studying.

And that job market is starting to become saturated as well. Everyone else has the same thoughts of earning more ;)

I know. Typically a one-year internship and three-year residency. Pay during those times fluctuate, it's long hours, and a ton of hard work and studying.
you asked...
it doesnt always change things down the road in terms of pay, either. i know a boarded specialist that cant find a job and went back to gp

And that job market is starting to become saturated as well. Everyone else has the same thoughts of earning more ;)
That's what I'm worried about. I've always wanted to specialize, just not sure where. But I want to have a job too...

Well it is a good thing I decided to double major so I have a fallback if I can't make enough money as a vet...
Oh wait...my fallback is fiction writing :laugh:
Do what my high school teacher did. Teach as your career, write on the side. He's gotten a few books and collections published already!

Do what my high school teacher did. Teach as your career, write on the side. He's gotten a few books and collections published already!
That's what a fair number of writers end up doing. But I was mostly joking. Writing was never something I wanted to do as a career. I'd love to get stuff published but I don't really care about making money from it. Which is a good thing I suppose, since it is pretty unlikely that I would.

Though my mother insists I should just write a best-selling novel and that will solve all financial problems :rolleyes:

Looking at these numbers I can't believe more graduates don't just file for bankruptcy. Is that something that happens at all? I have no idea of how bankruptcy works in the US, but in Canada it's pretty much you have zero credit and cannot borrow money or finance anything for 10 years and then after that you start from square one again for building credit. It would suck, but looking at the alternative of having to pay back 300,000 in loans it would almost seem worth it.

you asked...
it doesnt always change things down the road in terms of pay, either. i know a boarded specialist that cant find a job and went back to gp
I also know a board specialist working as a gp. I think it was good, but depending on what you are wanting to do the field is so saturated and there are only a limited about of facilities capable of fully utilizing a boarded practitioner and paying them accordingly.

On the topic though, I have $7.5k from undergrad, and I estimate I will have just over $100k after vet school. Debt is a real thing, and as much as I enjoy what I am learning the future out look of the profession and the debt to salary ratio inclines me not to recommend this profession to students when I am asked.

Looking at these numbers I can't believe more graduates don't just file for bankruptcy. Is that something that happens at all? I have no idea of how bankruptcy works in the US, but in Canada it's pretty much you have zero credit and cannot borrow money or finance anything for 10 years and then after that you start from square one again for building credit. It would suck, but looking at the alternative of having to pay back 300,000 in loans it would almost seem worth it.

If you file for bankruptcy you don't get rid of your student loan debt.. You have to pay it back regardless.

If filing for bankruptcy got rid of student loan debt the entire student loan system would fall apart and we would be left with trying to find private loans to go to school.

If filing for bankruptcy got rid of student loan debt the entire student loan system would fall apart and we would be left with trying to find private loans to go to school.

I wonder if you could get a private bank owned student loan to go away via bankruptcy... probably not, but this post made that thought go through my mind.