How much did taking practice tests improve your score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Sunny_Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say someone spent 3 months reviewing content without taking any practice tests. Not that I know anyone silly enough to have done that... :p So, she takes her first full length and gets a score only 2 points higher than the diagnostic score from a kaplan test taken before any review.

Does taking all the aamc FL practice tests cause the biggest gains? It sounds like a obvious question, but I am still feeling a little discouraged after putting all those hours into content review. Can you share with me how much taking the actual tests helped? Anyone go through something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I reviewed using TBR for 1 and a half months. I then took my first practice test, AAMC3, thinking I would crush it since it is the "easiest". I got 27 and was pissed, to say the least. Since then I have taken 1 AAMC every 4 days. I have gone up each time... Within 3 weeks I went from 27 to 35 on AAMC8 and 33 on AAMC 11. So to answer your question, you WILL see huge gains by the time you start doing FL's. Key to success is LEARNING THE MCAT. Learn HOW they write the exam, WHY the put info in their PS/BS passages, HOW that info relates to questions/answers, and most importantly, learn HOW THEY INCORPORATE WRONG ANSWERS!!! This is where you develop test taking skills and intuition! Don't underestimate the value of AAMC FL's.

Taking the tests won't do anything, but reviewing what you got WRONG and just as important what you got RIGHT, will improve your scores. Then studying the areas that the exam identified as weak points.

I reviewed using TBR for 1 and a half months. I then took my first practice test, AAMC3, thinking I would crush it since it is the "easiest". I got 27 and was pissed, to say the least. Since then I have taken 1 AAMC every 4 days. I have gone up each time... Within 3 weeks I went from 27 to 35 on AAMC8 and 33 on AAMC 11. So to answer your question, you WILL see huge gains by the time you start doing FL's. Key to success is LEARNING THE MCAT. Learn HOW they write the exam, WHY the put info in their PS/BS passages, HOW that info relates to questions/answers, and most importantly, learn HOW THEY INCORPORATE WRONG ANSWERS!!! This is where you develop test taking skills and intuition! Don't underestimate the value of AAMC FL's.

Thank you! Your story was very encouraging. Hope to see the same gains you did in 3 weeks! :thumbup: Congratulations on your progress. Am gonna get cracking with those tests now!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking the tests won't do anything, but reviewing what you got WRONG and just as important what you got RIGHT, will improve your scores. Then studying the areas that the exam identified as weak points.

Thank you for your advice. That makes a lot of sense. Will comb through the answer key carefully and review everything. :)

It helped as far as identifying weaknesses and knowing what to work on. Went from 32 on first practice test to 38 on the last one. So it really did help.

Everyone I've known has increased at least 2 points after doing practice test and reviewing them thoroughly.

Let's say someone spent 3 months reviewing content without taking any practice tests. Not that I know anyone silly enough to have done that... :p So, she takes her first full length and gets a score only 2 points higher than the diagnostic score from a kaplan test taken before any review.

Does taking all the aamc FL practice tests cause the biggest gains? It sounds like a obvious question, but I am still feeling a little discouraged after putting all those hours into content review. Can you share with me how much taking the actual tests helped? Anyone go through something similar?
I think taking practice tests are important because of several reasons:

1) It helps you practice synthesizing information, which you'll be doing on the real exam. A lot of the practice passages done after content review are designed to test you on that content only. The real MCAT requires you to extract information from many different topics

2) It familiarizes you with the structure of the real exam and builds endurance

3) It's the best way to identify your weaknesses because it's very easy to say "oh psh, I know how to do this" and skim during content review :p

I got a 33 on my very first practice test (AAMC 3) and a 38 on my very last (AAMC 10), so I like to think practice tests help! Of course, heavy post-game analysis is just as important as sitting down and taking the test.

Testing yourself--followed by careful review, along with writing and reading of flashcards--is the easiest way to add points to your score.

I went from a 30 (practice) to a 40 (real thing) in two months with only tests and practice problems. I did not waste any time with content review.

It helped as far as identifying weaknesses and knowing what to work on. Went from 32 on first practice test to 38 on the last one. So it really did help.
Thanks for sharing your story. It's already helping me to identify weaknesses. Hope I can make as much progress as you did.

Everyone I've known has increased at least 2 points after doing practice test and reviewing them thoroughly.
That's what I wanted to hear. :)

I think taking practice tests are important because of several reasons:

1) It helps you practice synthesizing information, which you'll be doing on the real exam. A lot of the practice passages done after content review are designed to test you on that content only. The real MCAT requires you to extract information from many different topics

2) It familiarizes you with the structure of the real exam and builds endurance

3) It's the best way to identify your weaknesses because it's very easy to say "oh psh, I know how to do this" and skim during content review :p

I got a 33 on my very first practice test (AAMC 3) and a 38 on my very last (AAMC 10), so I like to think practice tests help! Of course, heavy post-game analysis is just as important as sitting down and taking the test.
Endurance was a definitely a problem in the PS section. Congrats on your progress with scores! Did you take all of the p-tests available from the AAMC? When are you taking your MCAT?

Testing yourself--followed by careful review, along with writing and reading of flashcards--is the easiest way to add points to your score.

I went from a 30 (practice) to a 40 (real thing) in two months with only tests and practice problems. I did not waste any time with content review.
I read your article. Lots of helpful advice packed into it. You rocked that test, and were kind enough to take the time to share what worked for you. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, and congrats on the 40! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Is it possible to go from in the teens on a first practice test (no review) to in the high 20s or low 30s even on later tests with review? Or is it highly unlikely?

Improved from a 30 to hovering around 36 on the last three practice exams, awaiting real MCAT score

Endurance was a definitely a problem in the PS section. Congrats on your progress with scores! Did you take all of the p-tests available from the AAMC? When are you taking your MCAT?

I took all the AAMC tests except AAMC 8. I'm retaking on August 16! Got a 32 on my first test and felt it was an off day, considering my last three test scores were in the 36-38 range.

Is it possible to go from in the teens on a first practice test (no review) to in the high 20s or low 30s even on later tests with review? Or is it highly unlikely?

I probably shouldn't speak for someone else, but I saw someone post that they didn't do any content review, just did the AAMC practice tests with thorough review and scored a 30. I can't tell you what their baseline test was, but it's given me hope that after all the review I've done I can do better with each test I take.

I went from a 38 on AAMC 3 and 35 on AAMC 4 to a 40 on AAMC 11.

Granted, I doubt I broke 32 in my real deal last week so not sure how helpful my practice exams were. I'm actually scared now that I don't have anymore AAMCs to take if I end up having to retake.

I probably shouldn't speak for someone else, but I saw someone post that they didn't do any content review, just did the AAMC practice tests with thorough review and scored a 30. I can't tell you what their baseline test was, but it's given me hope that after all the review I've done I can do better with each test I take.

I do know of a person doing that right now. I don't think he's doing much content review and he's been averaging over a 30 on AAMC tests. It's quite ridiculous. I'm pretty jealous :bang:

My friend had a 17 on her first practice test. She did take the real MCAT and got 10+s on the sciences sadly around a 6-7 in verbal. Either way it was a massive improvement over two months while doing school and working full time.